Corey Brewer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Corey Brewer

The more I watch of this guy, the more I like him

Not only is he a winner, but he plays his best in big games and has absolutely shut down some smaller players defensively.

The guy is cat quick, good defender and is not afraid to drive the ball to the rack on offense.

I see him as a more skilled Tayshaun Prince, this guy would be the IDEAL 3 (instead of Luke Walton) to be starting on the Lakers.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

Yup- see my best defender available for the Lakers thread. It is full of Brewer love.

What is not to like about this kid? Damn he is a great defender at the college level. That wingspan is insane and he is intense, he plays hard on both ends of the floor. His jumper looks a lot better than it used to as well.

I would love to trade up and nab him, he could really help us turn around our perimeter defense.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Corey Brewer

LakerLanny wrote:
The more I watch of this guy, the more I like him

Not only is he a winner, but he plays his best in big games and has absolutely shut down some smaller players defensively.

The guy is cat quick, good defender and is not afraid to drive the ball to the rack on offense.

I see him as a more skilled Tayshaun Prince, this guy would be the IDEAL 3 (instead of Luke Walton) to be starting on the Lakers.

And he can hit the three.

If I was the Lakers, I would be doing everything I could to move up and nab this guy. I'd be willing to package Vlad, Cook, even Farmar if necessary with our 1st and Charlotte's 2nd to move up into the mid-lottery range.

Of course there is probably no GM who wants to move down from where they are so it's highly unlikely.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Brewer seems like he ALREADY has a nasty streak. He plays with reckless abandon. He will guard the opposition's best player. Can stroke the 3. But don't listen to me, check out this blog:

Anybody that has watched him play knows exactly what I am talking about. Other than finding a big man that is not a stiff, the most difficult thing for NBA GMs to find is a wing player that is ready to come in the NBA and become a top defender. Offense and flash might get all of the glory, but an athletic defensive minded player like Brewer can take a good team and make it a great one. Think about the impact that great wing defenders such as Bruce Bowen, Tayshaun Prince, Eddie Jones, Doug Christie, and Scottie Pippen have made over the years. When those guys were playing all-league type defense, their teams were usually winning. As with Scottie Pippen, the thing that makes Brewer great on defense is freakish wingspan. When an athletic 6'8" swing man has the wingspan of a seven-footer, and the willingness to focus on defense, that usually spells trouble for NBA offenses.

Most draft boards currently have him listed as a late lottery pick. Anyone that is in need of an all-league perimeter defender shouldn't make the mistake of passing on Brewer.

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/03/corey-brewer-will-a-perennial-member-of-the-nba-all-defensive-te/

Don't forget to look at the picture of him wrecking shop on defense.

I would give up everyone short of Kobe/Bynum/Turiaf to move up to get this kid and pair him up with Kobe Bean Bryant.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

I would give up everyone short of Kobe/Bynum/Turiaf to move up to get this kid and pair him up with Kobe Bean Bryant.

i think that is a bit of an overreaction
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

The kid ruined it for the Lakers by having a good tournament.

Great Cesar's ghost, I hope we don't draft Noah to overcompensate. Side Show Bob II is going to be a bust.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject:

cusu32000 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

i think that is a bit of an overreaction

Ok, how is this:

I would give up anyone short of Kobe/Bynum/Turiaf to move up to get this kid and pair him up with Kobe Bean Bryant.

Seriously though - everything we wanted in Tayshaun Prince - we could get with Brewer. You guys thought MJ/Pippen wrecked shop? This would be part II. I'm telling you, this guy can bring it. Perimeter defense protects our bigs, causes TOs, and ignites fast breaks. I really like this kid as a player and I think we should do what it takes to pick him up.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Trading Odom for him? Great idea. That is if you want Kobe to shoulder more of the burden as Brewer can't handle the ball, and has no mid-range game. Do we want another spot up shooter?

He is an excellent team defender, but I think people are starting to overrate him a smidge. Like Packer saying he could defend...Oden????
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:

^^^Did Packer really say that? I don't recall hearing it, but that old man might be suffering from old age insanity for all I know.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject:

ok then, i guess it's time to bring back an "old" idea of mine (couple of months old actually) which a lot of people laughed at back then - when i said the pick i'm going for is brewer:

sonics trade: lotto pick, wilcox, watson
lakers trade: 1st rd pick, odom, sasha
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:

First off, we don't need 3 picks in this upcomming draft- our roster is STUFFED full of youngsters with cheap contracts and potential.

Consolodate the picks and move up- throw in Cook or Vlade (I hope comes back and has a good playoff series- trade value ^) or even possibley Farmar if that is what it would take to get it done. I would not trade Odom to get him, that would be going backwards. Kid will be a rookie, he will have to spend a couple of years in the weight room before he will be effective in the NBA.

Don't forget we have expiring contracts to throw around as well to a team looking to save $$$.

But agreed, out of all of the players on the board not named Durant or Oden, Brewer would be the guy I most want in P&G. That Simmons guy has Brewer going #21!!! Would that not be great!- Geez that guy does not know what he is talking about.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Mark Hurlbarf, Esq. wrote:
^^^Did Packer really say that? I don't recall hearing it, but that old man might be suffering from old age insanity for all I know.

He always exaggerates, but defending 1,2, and 3? Especially 2s and 3s elitely at the NBA level?

No question.

He's not just a spot up shooter. He's an underrated passer and that didn't get exploited in the last game because Ohio State basically runs 4 guards around Oden.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike,Ive seen mocks that have him going in the 20's and ive seen people on espn saying he could be top 5. Realistically , whats the highest and lowest he could go, because i dont think theres any chance he gets to 17 regardless of workouts and i dont see how he goes in the top 5.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:

No less than 15. As high as 4.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Could you guys imagine this lineup while Diaw is resting on the bench....

PG- Nash
SG- Bell
SF- Brewer
PF- Marion
C- Stoudamire

Take amare out and put diaw in and you as an offensive team are trying to get a switch with brewer, marion and diaw, you might have a long day ahead of you. Dumb hawks
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:

if i were the lakers i would try to trade cook, vujacic, '08 1st rounder to phx for banks and their #24 pick...i would then trade farmar, the lakers 1st round pick, and the suns pick to move into the 7-11 range...i would then attempt to sign a guy like charlie bell to the mle to start at the point with banks as the back up...im not sure how feasible those things are but the suns are looking to get rid of banks and at least one of their first rounders
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: