Nicolas Batum, sounds like a good SF for the tri.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Nicolas Batum, sounds like a good SF for the tri.

Quote:
Strengths: Agile forward with size, an incredible wingspan, and great all around skills ... Has a natural feel for the game, and great physical attributes ... Competitive ... Team player, but also knows when to take over ... Clutch player. Shows the ability to raise his level of play in big games ... Makes his teammates better with his vision and ability to create ... Has a diverse offensive game with the ability to pull up off the dribble, hit from outside, and penetrate to the rim ... Shows a good stroke from outside, and excellent confidence to shoot through cold spells ... Has 3 point range ... Quick hands and feet, plus athleticism make him a potential lock down defender ... His foot speed and first step is very quick ... He has huge upside but needs to gain more experience ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/nicolasbatum.asp

What y'all think?
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

Sounds like an intruiging prospect. Considering the amount of depth that the Lakers currently have they could afford to draft someone like him and maybe develop him overseas for a while.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Just got done watching the Hoops Summit game (where the US killed the international team again) but Batum was pretty impressive. He has all the physical attributes that you would want in an NBA SF (minus about 15 pounds) and he plays the game with great fluidity. He doesn't force the issue but he made plays for himself and for his teammates on both ends.

Off the top of my head, this is what I remember.

Defensively, he was saddled with foul trouble (some were questionable calls) for most of the game so it was difficult to evaluate. But he's got long arms and quick feet and anticipates well. According to nbadraft.net he got 4 steals in the game. He definitely is a strong 2-way player.

Offensively in the first half, his first bucket came off a contested pullup 3 that luckily banked in. He looked like he wasn't comfortable getting elevation off the dribble.

He made a strong drive using his off-hand to get from the arc to the basket in 2 dribbles where he dunked 2-handed over a defender.

He also completed an impressive alley-oop dunk in transition where he caught the ball at the top of the square and got the crowd going.

In the 2nd half, he made a nice crossover dribble from left-to-right to free himself for a 3, that he missed, got the long rebound and knocked down the 2nd attempt. He later knocked down a wing 3 with ease. Though he doesn't get great elevation and doesn't have a particularly quick release, his form is smooth.

He also made a drive right from the top of the key, freed himself with a behind-the-back dribble (and a little pushoff) and knocked down a freethrow line jumper.

He got a couple dunks late in the game, one as the trailer on a 3-on-2 that he flushed easily, and the other after picking off a pass he dribbled 3/4s of the court and dunked off 2 feet from outside the paint with a defender in the vicinity.

And like I said, he played within himself the whole time and made a few solid plays to set up other players. He looks more comfortable in the open court, but he's effective in the halfcourt set.

He was easily one of the best players on the court. He needs to put on a few pounds and get more experience, but he's the real deal IMO.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject:

i dont' think he'll be available.

he was already hyped before that game, and now - i'm pretty sure his stock will soar.

he is very young and raw though, so maybe him being taken in the lottery - or very close to it, means we get a better shot at one of the more "ready to contribute" players...
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

I hear he'll delcare next year only, along with Ajinca, so we'd have to wait a little.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

Never mind, HoopsHype says he is.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Kid looked very good at the Hoop Summit.

Just did a bit of everything that you want in a prototypical 3.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

just out of curiosity - for anyone who's seen the game - how did omri caspi do ?
he's not eligeble (still 18), and i'm not convinced yet he has what it takes, but he's a home town boy, so i was just wondering if it looked like he could be a player...
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
just out of curiosity - for anyone who's seen the game - how did omri caspi do ?

He played pretty well. He was the guy who sparked the international team in the 1st half when it looked like nobody else had the balls to compete. The broadcasters mentioned on several occasions that he was the toughest player on the team, mentally.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
davidse wrote:

He played pretty well. He was the guy who sparked the international team in the 1st half when it looked like nobody else had the balls to compete. The broadcasters mentioned on several occasions that he was the toughest player on the team, mentally.

And you could really tell that he was the toughest. He had a string of possessions where he just threw the ball down and would stare the American kids down, as if he didn't care who they were. Even made a point to toss a 'bow at Patrick Patterson on the way up the court after one of his dunks, ala Bynum's elbow to Shaq in '06.

He was impressive. Long, fluid athlete. Had decent skills. Etc.

But again, the mental toughness and confidence was what shined the most in him.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

Sounds like another of Mike AT LG's sleepers. If the Lakers drafted Batum and Gabe Pruitt, Mike would probably pass out in disbelief.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject:

Batum would take the sting out of missing the playoffs, which is about the only chance we'd have of drafting him.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
davidse wrote:

And you could really tell that he was the toughest. He had a string of possessions where he just threw the ball down and would stare the American kids down, as if he didn't care who they were. Even made a point to toss a 'bow at Patrick Patterson on the way up the court after one of his dunks, ala Bynum's elbow to Shaq in '06.

He was impressive. Long, fluid athlete. Had decent skills. Etc.

But again, the mental toughness and confidence was what shined the most in him.

thank you both.

very interesting to hear. his level of commitment was somewhat questioned in the past couple of years, as well as some bad influence from family members getting too involved in his basketball business, but he's having a break out year in our basketball league, and from what you're saying, he defenetly has a real chance to get drafted some day and be the first israeli in the nba.

another one of our good young players got drafted last year and was traded to houston, but i'm very doubtfull about his chances of making it since he's too small to play pf in the nba and doesn't have the skill set (at least not yet) to play sf.... he's names' elyahoo.

but caspi does have the s.f. skill set. if he can stay with guys defensively, i think he'll be playing in the nba sooner or later (might opt for the big money he'll get offerred here for a year or two as he developes, and then leave for the u.s.).

thanks again.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Here's a really informative article on Batum and the Hoops Summit from SI.com. Here are some tidbits:

Quote:
Afterward several NBA execs were seen shaking hands or nodding suspiciously to Batum's agents, Bouna Ndiaye and Jeremy Medjana. The agents told me they'll keep Batum (pronounced ba-TOOM) in the draft if they receive a guarantee that he'll be taken in the lottery.

"But he's in,'' added Ndiaye, suggesting he'd received assurances that Batum will be a high pick. "I already have the feeling.''

"For his position [small forward], his competition is going to be Corey Brewer,'' said Ndiaye, referring to the two-time national champion from Florida. "And he's better than Brewer.''

When I relayed that information to a league personnel director, he rolled his eyes. "He's been B.S-ing so long,'' the NBA man said of Ndiaye, "that he's starting to believe his own B.S.''

Quote:
Batum is known for playing his best in the biggest games. He was MVP of the European Under-18 championships last summer in Greece -- previous MVPs of that event have included Tony Parker, Andrei Kirilenko, Pau Gasol and Peja Stojakovic.

Quote:
Batum's story is a well-known tragedy in French sport. His father, Richard, was a burly 6-7 forward in the French second division who died of a heart attack during a game. Nicolas was 2 years old at the time.

Every two years he is tested.'' He has no issues with his heart, the agents insisted, though of course every NBA team will want to study the results for their own peace of mind.

Quote:
Batum has a 7-foot-¾-inch wingspan and wide shoulders that suggest he will add muscle to his 214-pound frame.

Quote:
He told me his favorite NBA player was Scottie Pippen, "because he makes everything happen on the court.'' His countryman Michael Pietrus of the Warriors said Batum reminds him of Boris Diaw. He was affirmed by an NBA scout who pointed out that Batum tends to disappear during games -- which is what used to be said about Diaw in France and also with the Hawks before he made his home with the Suns. Batum didn't object to the comparison.

"I want to play for my team, for my teammates,'' Batum said. "Sometimes it's a weakness.''

Quote:
So where would he like to play in the NBA? "I came to Dallas in September, and I liked it,'' he said. "Also Los Angeles, Miami -- but not New York: I don't like the team. I'm there to play basketball and to win.''

The article also mentions Caspi, and gives a rundown of Ajinca, Aleksandrov, and Preldzic. Devin Green even makes an appearance in the picture.

LINK
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Would LOVE to land Batum.

No way it happens, though. At least not without a trade.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Official measurements (with shoes) from the Hoops Summitt:

Batum:
Height 6'7.75
Weight 214.2
Wingspan 7'0.75
Standing Reach 8'8.75

Ajinca:
Height 7'0.75
Weight 207.2
Wingspan 7'8.75
Standing Reach 9'4
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: