pick your swingman ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject:

Wow... I just realized that I picked a swingman (Corey Brewer) who wasn't even listed. I should drink my coffee before posting.

Belinelli interested me too earlier, though I'd like a player who will attack the rim with more frequency. I think if Belinelli declares, he'll shoot up higher than what the draft sites are projecting. It is tough to find reliable shooters in this league, that have a modicum of athleticism and lateral quickness.

From what Mitch said in the Town Hall Meeting, it looks like he'll try packaging the draft picks together for a vet.

Andre Miller? Player X sweetener?
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Funny, I had a hunch that Belinelli wouldn't make it past Golden State. Talk about fitting Nellie's system.

The Clippers can take Law.

I just want T.Young, N. Young, Brandon Rush, Alando Tucker, available.

I do not want draft based on team need, but BPA, period.

i think the warriors will go with an athletic sf so that they can let pietrus go and not commit to another big new contract. at least that's what i think they'll do.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Wow... I just realized that I picked a swingman (Corey Brewer) who wasn't even listed. I should drink my coffee before posting.

Belinelli interested me too earlier, though I'd like a player who will attack the rim with more frequency. I think if Belinelli declares, he'll shoot up higher than what the draft sites are projecting. It is tough to find reliable shooters in this league, that have a modicum of athleticism and lateral quickness.

From what Mitch said in the Town Hall Meeting, it looks like he'll try packaging the draft picks together for a vet.

Andre Miller? Player X sweetener?

my hope is that we use the pick as a sweetner to make sure the bucks don't match an offer for charlie bell...

and about brewer - well obviously - he's everyone's pipe. i simply assumed that both he and green will be gone by the time we pick.
green might drop close, but i think he'll ultimatly get picked before we have a chance to debate him.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Funny, I had a hunch that Belinelli wouldn't make it past Golden State. Talk about fitting Nellie's system.

Nellie wants "dominant" players not "blend" players.

Blend guys get traded to Indiana.

Nellie wants elite NBA level athletets. Belinelli does not qualify.

T. Young does.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

I'm glad that Mike finally made a passing reference to the guy I think is probably the best swing defender not named Corey Brewer.

Brandon Rush guys!

He showed that he is a great perimeter defender in the Tournament, and all season long at Kansas. He's long, quick, athletic and has shown the willingness to play defense (which is way underrated by most people I think). He's also a solid 3pt shooter and can put the ball on the floor at times, and he's a willing passer.

I think he' be a good fit for the Lakers, playing solid D, knocking down outside shots and using his quicks to cut to the hole where he can finish above the rim. I think he projects as a solid starter and 3rd or 4th option on offense.

I don't know if you take him over Law or a guy like Thad Young, but I personally like him a lot more than Afflalo, N. Young, Tucker, etc..., mostly because he has the NBA size and athleticism that those guys are lacking.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:

still belinelli for me.

will end up the best player in this draft who wasn't taken in the lottery, with the possible exception of thad young.
this guy has star pottential written all over him, and he's already doing it against top veteran competition at 21...
if the lakers are brave enough to go euro again - they'll thank their lucky stars for years that they have.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers trade their pick for a vet, I hope its Josh Childress.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:

i hope they figure out a way to get delonte west
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:

cusu32000 wrote:
Lakersfield wrote:

i hope they figure out a way to get delonte west

of all the pottential "small" moves that won't involve trading kwame - that may be the best one as it could even be somewhat realistic.

west is a great fit, doesn't seem to be in the celtics' long term plans too.

cook, sasha, all 3 picks
for
scalbrine, west

i hope...
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

davidse - I like Belinelli too, but as far as defenders go I think you have to admit that Rush is far more capable.

This quote kinda sums up why I like Rush.

Quote:
It’s not all that common to find a long and athletic swingman who plays strong defense and knocks down open shots, and it’s pretty clear that he has the upside to develop into much more than that considering how much he’s improved over the past two seasons.

davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:

i honestly don't know enough about rush's defense to comment, but i got no problem trusting you.

i'm just saying that the star pottential and ability to come in and contribute right away are too good of a combination to pass up for me - even if marco isn't the defensive stopper we want.

had guys like rush or n. young been the missing piece to a possible title run ? i guess i'd have to consider it, but i see marco's upside as so much more promissing - and its' not like he's a project, he can already hold his own against top players, so for me - marco is the guy.

i'm pretty sure the lakers go another way (n. young ?) and if they do - i have no problem with it being rush.
he just seems to be projected too low for the type of defender you say he is - since i know he can score. kind of odd.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I'd like Belinelli offensively if his youtube videos showed more.

Instead, I just see bad shot selection, no real breakdown of a player one on one, off-balance shooting, and that same 360* dunk over and over.

Having watched 5, especially noting 1 tournament game of 6 off-balance jumpshots, I'm really put off. It's not like he's going against All NBA defenders with those shots, unlike Bryant.

Worse of all, I don't see anything outside of the offense.

At least I know with Rush, even though I can't stand his shot mechanics and his ball-handling needs a lot of work, he's still an unselfish passer, decent playmaker, strong defender, and underrated rebounder.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Mike@LG"]Funny, I had a hunch that Belinelli wouldn't make it past Golden State. Talk about fitting Nellie's system.

The Clippers can take Law.

I just want T.Young, N. Young, Brandon Rush, Alando Tucker, available.

I do not want draft based on team need, but BPA, period.[/quote]

I'm in the same boat as you then Mike. Why do yo think Tucker is rated so low in mocks? I'm hoping for either T.Young, Rush, or Tucker, and like you I'm hoping they go BPA. Outside of Kobe, this team is really talent starved.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:

i actually think that picking someone who can add more physical defense at the wing position like the youngs, aflallo, tucker, etc - which our team can use (if phil even lets him play, and if he can actually get it done) - is a pick that's NOT based on bpa - but is based on team needs.

assuming thad young and law are gone - belinelli has got to be the bpa.
we can go a different way, but THEN it would be a pick based on need rather than on bpa.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I think Tucker is ready to play now, and is going to surprise some people at the next level. I think he has ability that will translate well to the next level. With Tucker I think your getting more of a sure thing as well, which the Lakers desperately need. We really don't need a project with our 1st. I'd welcome a high risk/high reward player in the 2nd though.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Why do yo think Tucker is rated so low in mocks?

While he's the most mature, he's also the oldest at 23, not the quickest player, best leaper,... doesn't have the greatest of guard skills. Really, he's a PF in a SG body, similar to Bonzi Wells. Both don't beat their guys with a first step, but rather, are heavily dependent on post play and perimeter shooting. Tucker isn't that great a shooter, at least not yet.

davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
still belinelli for me.

will end up the best player in this draft who wasn't taken in the lottery, with the possible exception of thad young.
this guy has star pottential written all over him, and he's already doing it against top veteran competition at 21...
if the lakers are brave enough to go euro again - they'll thank their lucky stars for years that they have.

found this today and had to post it with my own quote from a few days ago....

from realgm's mock draft:

. Marco Belinelli, Climamio Bologna, Shooting Guard:

Like Fernandez, Belinelli has explosive hops and is pure on offense, both with and without the ball. He has the kind of upside that could make him an NBA All-Star, something that is rare to find from a player drafted in the 20’s.

no need to say - i think they're right on the money.
couldn't have said it better myself - although i did...
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject:

derrick byars is my pick. He seems like the all around player. DEFENSE!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject:

What I don't understand is, why a potential All-Star would even slip to 15-20 if scouts really thought of Belinelli that way.

ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
still belinelli for me.

Closest thing to a Ginobilli I've seen yet, except that his wingspan is longer so he can dunk.

Man, this draft is DEEP, I would be very hesitant to include that pick as a throw-in.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
What I don't understand is, why a potential All-Star would even slip to 15-20 if scouts really thought of Belinelli that way.

The same way Redd, Ginobilli and Arenas slipped. Sometimes scouts make mistakes.

This guy can shoot, pass, dribble, and is athletic, a sure steal IMO.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
davidse - I like Belinelli too, but as far as defenders go I think you have to admit that Rush is far more capable.

This quote kinda sums up why I like Rush.

Quote:
It’s not all that common to find a long and athletic swingman who plays strong defense and knocks down open shots, and it’s pretty clear that he has the upside to develop into much more than that considering how much he’s improved over the past two seasons.

Defense rarely translates. Corey Brewer is probably the only guy whose defense will translate. Also, it has been shown many times that athleticism doesn't equate to good defense. Remember, Bowen wasn't drafted, and Artest, well, he just came out of nowhere.

To me, you should either be really good offensively or really good defensively, because then you're guaranteed that area will translate. Rush looks like he's neither, and Marco is the former, so I pick Marco.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
If we want T. Young we better hope the Lakers lose Wed and the Warriors win out.

I am 99.99% certain than Nelly and Mullin take T. Young just ahead of us in the draft if available.

I am 99.99% certain that the Clippers take Law ahead of us unless the extremely unlikely event Mike Conley Jr falls to them but I am 99.99% certain Conley does not fall bellow Atlanta.

Nick Young could fall to us I just don't think he can defend the 3 in the NBA on a nighly basis. There are so many big 3s in the West 6'6" 195-200 lbs is not enough.

Melo,McGrady,AK-47,Rashard Lewis,sometimes even Dirk and Kg. Not to mention not so big but extemely athletic Shawn Marion.

Mitch could tell Thaddeus not to work out for any team. It's interesting but Young is probably the first guy so many on this board have agreed on, that management also wants.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

The same way Redd, Ginobilli and Arenas slipped. Sometimes scouts make mistakes.

This guy can shoot, pass, dribble, and is athletic, a sure steal IMO.

Eh. No.

Arenas was a 4th option player in Arizona. Workouts showed he was a stud, but an underized SG. Questionable attitude. Belinelli is #1.

Redd took 2 years to work on his game, completely comprised of 1 jumpshot.

Ginobili took 4 years overseas before coming to the NBA as a bench player.

A guy who can play both ends of the floor is more valuable to me than one who is skilled well on just the offensive end.

You can preach defensive mentality all you want, but there's no way you can make the Golden State Warriors a dominant defensive team.

Teams want assurance in the draft. There are reasons why most teams don't just draft raw athletic projects.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
NestT wrote:
If we want T. Young we better hope the Lakers lose Wed and the Warriors win out.

I am 99.99% certain than Nelly and Mullin take T. Young just ahead of us in the draft if available.

I am 99.99% certain that the Clippers take Law ahead of us unless the extremely unlikely event Mike Conley Jr falls to them but I am 99.99% certain Conley does not fall bellow Atlanta.

Nick Young could fall to us I just don't think he can defend the 3 in the NBA on a nighly basis. There are so many big 3s in the West 6'6" 195-200 lbs is not enough.

Melo,McGrady,AK-47,Rashard Lewis,sometimes even Dirk and Kg. Not to mention not so big but extemely athletic Shawn Marion.

Mitch could tell Thaddeus not to work out for any team. It's interesting but Young is probably the first guy so many on this board have agreed on, that management also wants.

And Thad could chose to work out for other teams anyway becuase everyone around him(including his agent if/when he gets one) would tell him not working out is crazy because with private workouts he could shoot up to #8 in the draft. And make a lot more money.

There was an article from the Sac Bee posted here not long ago about Kobe and the 96 Draft. Kobe refused to work out after his lakers workout. NJ decided to pass on Kobe.

Sacramento,on the other hand, planned to draft him at 14 even though Kobe refused to workout for them. They even planned to build the Kings around him.

I think Golden State would take Thad anyway.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: