SUNS -at- LAKERS - 4/26 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

The Lakers played good D, but the Suns still shot 48%. We can, and should play even better defense. It's the effort, and mental mistakes that costs the Lakers on defense.

They will have to play even better defense the next game. I do like the Lakers plan of making Amare try to beat us from the outside. Kwame's doing a great job of it there. Amare can't budge Kwame on the block, but boy, Amare was en fuego last night. Hopefully, he won't be that hot the next game.

Also, I have a comment about Shammond. Near the end of the game, he was freaking me out. I wanted/needed him off the court near the end of the game. The reason was that there were a couple possessions where he was basically the only one who held onto the rock. One possession in particular troubled me. Kwame was in the block, and had pretty good position against Amare. Kwame wanted him to pass the rock but Shammond waved him off, and wanted Kwame to go over to run a pick instead. This was after he had already bricked a couple shots. What happens at the end was that Shammond drove, and tried a pull up jumper that bricked. Poor decisions by him could have really costed us the game at the end.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Seeing Cook in the fourth was driving me crazy. My mantra during that time was, "Please, Phil, sit cook down; Please, Phil, sit Cook down."
SGH

That was driving me nuts, especially with him at C. We survived it, but I think we lost a little intensity for a few minutes there.

DB, do you think Phil recognized that Cook at center has never worked in a tight game? I can see his logic in using him. It worked in the first half and helped us come back so he thought, it would work again. Nope, what happens is that in a tight game, the other team is more careful with their ball movement, so now his lack of shotblocking gets exposed. At the same time, Cook tends to choke offfensively, in a tight game.

If the Suns went with Diaw at center again, then we definitely need to stay with Bynum. Bynum can easily post up and shoot over Diaw, and Diaw showed in last year's playoffs that his shot can be bothered by length.

While I think Phil is a great observer of details, I don't think he quite recognizes these just yet.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Seeing Cook in the fourth was driving me crazy. My mantra during that time was, "Please, Phil, sit cook down; Please, Phil, sit Cook down."
SGH

That was driving me nuts, especially with him at C. We survived it, but I think we lost a little intensity for a few minutes there.

DB, do you think Phil recognized that Cook at center has never worked in a tight game? I can see his logic in using him. It worked in the first half and helped us come back so he thought, it would work again. Nope, what happens is that in a tight game, the other team is more careful with their ball movement, so now his lack of shotblocking gets exposed. At the same time, Cook tends to choke offfensively, in a tight game.

If the Suns went with Diaw at center again, then we definitely need to stay with Bynum. Bynum can easily post up and shoot over Diaw, and Diaw showed in last year's playoffs that his shot can be bothered by length.

While I think Phil is a great observer of details, I don't think he quite recognizes these just yet.

The problem I had with Cook yesterday is that we know, he knows, the Suns know, a poor Incan woman in Peru knows, that he is a spot-up shooter. If he needs to take a dribble or move his feet, he cannot make a shot. Therefore, if he knows he has to take a dribble, or move in any way, he SHOULD NOT take the shot. Find the open man. Pass the ball. Just do not take that shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject:

EIther Kwame needed the break or Phil was trying to puff-up Cook's confidence by giving him run during crunch time. Maybe PJ figures that vote of confidence will get Cook out of the funk he's been in most of the season. When Cook isn't hitting his jumper, as many have often opined, he literally is worthless out there.

But I give him props for trying. Sometimes, you don't even get that from him.

SGH

I was so happy to see Kwame ready to check in and then I saw him go back to the bench. Thought Phil is going to screw this up by leaving Cook in there, but I guess a tv timeout or something like that was coming up and they ended up putting Kwame back in there.

I would really just rather see Ronny get all of Cook's minutes.
Laker-Ryoku
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

We really have to watch that 4th quarter offensive execution. They all reverted to standing around again. THis is why we blew so many leads throughout the season. If it aint broke, dont fix it. We only need Kobe time if we're down. When we're up, keep doing what got us there.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Great defensive intensity. But is it sustainable?

Who knows...but this team hadn't beaten a contender since defeating the Spurs on 1/17....at the very least, I'm glad they could provide us w/ one more upper level victory-high before ending the season.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"This is the first time in a long time that we took a team's best punch and came back out swinging," Lamar said.

That says it all. I have been waiting for that all season. Some confidence and this team stepping up in the clutch instead of fading.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Great analysis again DB.

Mo needs to step it up. We all know he isn't THIS bad. But I wonder if it's the playoff pressure... his shooting is ice cold and he just isn't doing anything right defensively so far.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:

DB, do you think Phil recognized that Cook at center has never worked in a tight game? I can see his logic in using him. It worked in the first half and helped us come back so he thought, it would work again.

In the first half, he was on the floor with Kwame as a PF. In the second half, it was with Bynum for a few minutes at PF, then he got moved to the C. Don't really know why, unless they just wanted the spread the floor offensively. But sketchy, anyway.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

In the second quarter, Jackson put in a trapping defense unlike anything the Suns had seen from the Lakers before, according to guard Raja Bell.

"It felt like they had six or seven guys out there on the floor," Bell said. "I felt like I was shadowed the whole night."

Said Phoenix Coach Mike D'Antoni: "They changed the defense up and we didn't react real well. We didn't exploit it. When you change something with the intensity they changed it, it takes a little bit to adjust. . . . They tried something different and it worked for them. Hopefully, it won't work the next time."

"They got a little physical with us," D'Antoni said. "They put us on our heels. Instead of laying back, they came out to attack Steve [Nash]. We'll have to adjust to that."

"It was a defensive scheme that definitely threw us for a loop," Bell said. "I can't remember them ever aggressively trapping the pick and roll like that. That was a new wrinkle they sprung on us. It took awhile before we caught on and we didn't have an answer for it."

LINK
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ProjectAB wrote:
DB, do you think Phil recognized that Cook at center has never worked in a tight game? I can see his logic in using him. It worked in the first half and helped us come back so he thought, it would work again.
In the first half, he was on the floor with Kwame as a PF. In the second half, it was with Bynum for a few minutes at PF, then he got moved to the C. Don't really know why, unless they just wanted the spread the floor offensively. But sketchy, anyway.
Could Phil be tinkering in trying to find a consistent "power game" - just as Phil has found a temporary "fix" by playing Smush/Williams on Nash/Barbosa?
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject:

- Sean - wrote:
Quote:

In the second quarter, Jackson put in a trapping defense unlike anything the Suns had seen from the Lakers before, according to guard Raja Bell.

"It felt like they had six or seven guys out there on the floor," Bell said. "I felt like I was shadowed the whole night."

Said Phoenix Coach Mike D'Antoni: "They changed the defense up and we didn't react real well. We didn't exploit it. When you change something with the intensity they changed it, it takes a little bit to adjust. . . . They tried something different and it worked for them. Hopefully, it won't work the next time."

"They got a little physical with us," D'Antoni said. "They put us on our heels. Instead of laying back, they came out to attack Steve [Nash]. We'll have to adjust to that."

"It was a defensive scheme that definitely threw us for a loop," Bell said. "I can't remember them ever aggressively trapping the pick and roll like that. That was a new wrinkle they sprung on us. It took awhile before we caught on and we didn't have an answer for it."

LINK

Quote:
Posted by RYZ: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Nobody on this team can stay in front of anybody on any other team, we trap off the pick & roll less and worse than any team in the NBA, and the cherry on top... the Suns have managed to integrate the moving screen into a functionally effective tool in their offense.

So now we have the trapped P&R taken care of, can we get some moving screens called? I was floored when they called that early one on the Lakers last night, considering the Suns get away literally every time down the floor.

That and Cook never needs to see one of Ronny's minutes; but I love your diplomacy, DB.

Thank you, sir.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject:

That wasn't a moving screen, that was Nash running into Kobe.
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject:

There is reason to hope in game five.
No one, outside Kobe, Lamar, and Kwame hit a shot.
If the other guys can step up on offense, just a little, while keeping up the intensity on defense, Purple and Gold can win again!!!
That's why I hold out hope for a (healthy) future.
Farmar, Kobe, Vlad, LO, Kwame.... backed up by
Gabe Pruitt(yes!), Mo, Luke, Bynum, Turiaf.
A boy can dream, right??
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject:

- Sean - wrote:
In the second quarter, Jackson put in a trapping defense unlike anything the Suns had seen from the Lakers before, according to guard Raja Bell. "It felt like they had six or seven guys out there on the floor," Bell said. "I felt like I was shadowed the whole night."

Since the playoffs consist of teams adjusting their respective game plans, it will be interesting to see what else PJ has up his sleeves.

DB - do you feel that the Suns relaxed and/or didn't play well because they thought that the Lakers would just mail in the game? Did you feel that Nash played a good game - not great, just good?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject:

I think they got taken out of their game. They didn't get the break going and in the half court we switched up on their bread and butter against us and they didn't know how to react.

Maybe they got a little comfortable, but I don't think Nash plays that way, he plays to win. We gave him the Kobe treatment and the others were slow to try to take advantage of it.

I think they are going to look at those miserable 10 fastbreak points and try to figure out what they can do to get that back up. To me, that means they will probably pack it into the lane and let our guys who shot poorly from the perimeter in the last game try to beat us...hoping for missed shots, rebounds and quick transition. Jordan, Smush, Shammond, Luke...they will likely sag way off of them to take away post play and dribble penetration as much as possible. In the half court, they will probably try to pass a little quicker, set up a few secondary cuts as we scramble and hope to get good looks. Big thing for them, though, will be to get their running game back. They don't want another 10-point fastbreak game again.

Our guys will probably have to step up from the perimeter a bit.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I think they got taken out of their game. They didn't get the break going and in the half court we switched up on their bread and butter against us and they didn't know how to react. Maybe they got a little comfortable, but I don't think Nash plays that way, he plays to win. We gave him the Kobe treatment and the others were slow to try to take advantage of it.

I think they are going to look at those miserable 10 fastbreak points and try to figure out what they can do to get that back up. To me, that means they will probably pack it into the lane and let our guys who shot poorly from the perimeter in the last game try to beat us...hoping for missed shots, rebounds and quick transition. Jordan, Smush, Shammond, Luke...they will likely sag way off of them to take away post play and dribble penetration as much as possible. In the half court, they will probably try to pass a little quicker, set up a few secondary cuts as we scramble and hope to get good looks. Big thing for them, though, will be to get their running game back. They don't want another 10-point fastbreak game again. Our guys will probably have to step up from the perimeter a bit.
With Phil using his bigs (Kwame/LO) to force Nash to either give up the ball and/or restart their offense, what needs to be done to maintain the energy to play this kind of defense? Will he have to go to Turiaff/Cook to spell Kwame and LO?

If they are sagging, what will it take for Cook, Luke and MO to hit shots?!?! If Bynum, Kwame and LO can effectively pass in the paint - hopefully Smush/Sasha/Jordan won't feel the need to bomb from 3-point range (the last thing the Lakers want to do). Maybe Phil should have a penalty on anyone (outside of LO and Kobe) that shoots more than 2 3 point shots?!?!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: