Mentally weak players and the draft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Mentally weak players and the draft

I see in a couple of mock drafts the Lakers taking Josh McRoberts.
Every year people say they will be pissed if the Lakers take player X, and everytime I think, "come on," but this year...I'll be pissed if the Lakers take that Duke softy. I have to say I have not seen him play that much, but every time I did, he would pout so much that he was completely taken out of the game.
I think the biggest issue with the Lakers this year was lack of mental toughness. Smush, Kwame, and Cook have horrible attitudes and give up at the first sign of adversity and Luke and Bynum lack confidence. I think above talent this team needs a few guys that aren't afraid of big moments and don't get down when things aren't going their way. Josh will contribute to a culture of NOT gutting it out. Lakers please don't pick this guy...
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mentally weak players and the draft

ERod86 wrote:
I see in a couple of mock drafts the Lakers taking Josh McRoberts.
Every year people say they will be pissed if the Lakers take player X, and everytime I think, "come on," but this year...I'll be pissed if the Lakers take that Duke softy. I have to say I have not seen him play that much, but every time I did, he would pout so much that he was completely taken out of the game.
I think the biggest issue with the Lakers this year was lack of mental toughness. Smush, Kwame, and Cook have horrible attitudes and give up at the first sign of adversity and Luke and Bynum lack confidence. I think above talent this team needs a few guys that aren't afraid of big moments and don't get down when things aren't going their way. Josh will contribute to a culture of NOT gutting it out. Lakers please don't pick this guy...

One question: when has Kwame ever displayed a poor attitude? Bad hands, check. Regressing offensive game, check. Bad attitude? Never. The dude does what is asked of him without complaint whether it be playing time or his role on the team. I actually think Bynum is pretty confident, but needs to pick up lateral movement speed, learn how to position himself better on both ends of the floor and build a stronger base in order to get himself better shots and keep others off the block.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:

^^^I think his work ethic sometimes is a bit suspect and he seems to have a very low pain threshold.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
hen has Kwame ever displayed a poor attitude? Bad hands, check. Regressing offensive game, check. Bad attitude? Never.

Prior to even playing in the NBA, wondering why he had to do Yoga and questioning its purpose at the NBA level.

Hitting a random person on the sidewalk with cake for no particular reason except for his personal humor.

He says a lot of right things in the press. He doesn't follow through with the work.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
hen has Kwame ever displayed a poor attitude? Bad hands, check. Regressing offensive game, check. Bad attitude? Never.

Prior to even playing in the NBA, wondering why he had to do Yoga and questioning its purpose at the NBA level.

Hitting a random person on the sidewalk with cake for no particular reason except for his personal humor.

How does that make him mentally weak?

He does not like Orange County Housewife workouts? Animal House sophmoric sense of humour does not make him mentally weak.

Dog him because he does not want to do pillatis (sp ?)

I guess Grant Hill has a low threshold for pain.

Only the player knows exactly how his body feels.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: