Think moving up to get Conley is doable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Think moving up to get Conley is doable?

I know we want to trade our draft pick, but there's a chance Conley could fall out of the top 10. How hard would it be for us to move up 8 or 9 spots? I think this kid could help us right away. Chris Paul had an immediate impact on the Hornets, and I think Conley could do the same.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Chris Paul played a FAR FAR more mature game than Conley Jr., even after his frosh year. The PG draft depth is weak, so it's best for Conley Jr. to strike. When Paul came out, there was a huge debate between him and Deron to be the #1 PG.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike Conley is only 6'1 he's not a big guard that Phil likes in the triangle offense.Also he's also played only 1 year in college.

Acie Law would be a better pick if the Lakers were to trade up to get and draft a PG.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Not worth it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:

btw, it would be very hard to trade up like that without giving up Odom or Bynum.

ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Although he's good, Conley is not as good as Paul or Williams.
Also, there is a good chance daddy brokers a deal to get him with his main man Oden.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
Mike Conley is only 6'1 he's not a big guard that Phil likes in the triangle offense.Also he's also played only 1 year in college.

Acie Law would be a better pick if the Lakers were to trade up to get and draft a PG.

Mike made some good points. I thought he was maybe on par with Paul, but I don't follow college as closely as I do NBA. But in terms of height, who gives a crap? Height is a preference, but would you really turn away a talented player because he's a few inches below Phil's preference? Everytime someone mentions a PG candidate on this board, some have to out-of-hand dismiss it because of his heigh. Look, EVERYONE on this board knows Phil likes tall PGs. You're not privilege to secret scouting info. But we have to imagine there's some flexibility there if the PG has a lot of talent.
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Farmar and Fisher aren't "tall" point guards...Phil will play whoever is on the team and can help him.
I would be happy to get Conley if it didn't cost much...Cook #19 and #45, but to trade anyof the Lakers solid players isn't smart. They need guys who are experienced in the NBA preferably with playoff experience. I like Conley, but I think he's like Farmar and Bynum, he'll be a good player for a lot of years and really help a team, but not for a few years.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Think moving up to get Conley is doable?

pjiddy wrote:
I know we want to trade our draft pick, but there's a chance Conley could fall out of the top 10. How hard would it be for us to move up 8 or 9 spots? I think this kid could help us right away. Chris Paul had an immediate impact on the Hornets, and I think Conley could do the same.

Most people feel that Conley, with only one year experience in college, will take some time to develop in the pros. In light of all the "Kobe wants to win now!" talk, it seems unlikely that the Lakers would trade up to take a project. Indeed, it feels more likely that the Lakers will be looking to package their draft pick for veterans.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:

Here we go again, drafting for triangle players. T Parker is only 6'1" and so is Iverson, TJ Ford. How tall are Stockton, Isaiah, Kevin Johnson, or KC Jones?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Not going to happen. This would involve giving up an asset in order to get even younger or maintain our youth. If they cash in on assets it's get more veterans.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
btw, it would be very hard to trade up like that without giving up Odom or Bynum.

The discussion pretty much ends there.

No way the Lakers give away one of their top trade assets to get a 19 year old PG, when what they really need is a veteran big man.

On the flip side, no way the teams in a position to draft Conley just give the pick away - it WOULD cost Odom or Bynum.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:

We don't need more projects....what we need are experienced veteran and established players. If we're going to use up what little assets we have, we should do so to get older.

Remember, as the roster is currently, without McKie and Shammond to boost up our average age, we might very well be the youngest teams in the league. Bynum (20), Farmar (21), Kobe (29), LO (28 ), Ronny (23), Mo (27), Vlad (27), Mihm (27), Kwame (25), Sasha (23), Luke (26), and Cook (25). We don't need to get younger, it's amazing we didn't have even one player who played more than 20 minutes a game at or over the age of 30 this year. We and Golden State were the only teams in the playoffs who could say that.

Dallas - Stackhouse, Dampier, etc., SAS - Duncan, Ginobli, etc., Phoenix - Nash, Thomas, etc., Houston - Howard, Mutumbo, McGrady, etc., Denver - Iverson, Camby, Najera, etc., Detroit - Webber, McDyess, etc., Chicago - Brown, Wallace, etc., Cleveland - Snow, Ilgauskus, etc., Toronto - Nosterovic, Parker, Garbojsa, etc., NJ - Kidd, Carter, Moore, etc., Orlando - Hill, Battie, etc., Washington - Jamison, Daniels, etc.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:

So let me get this straight...we're gonna trade up for a PG...right after we just drafted a PG the year before who most people here said is the future PG? Now, does that make ANY sense whatsoever?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
So let me get this straight...we're gonna trade up for a PG...right after we just drafted a PG the year before who most people here said is the future PG? Now, does that make ANY sense whatsoever?

No, it doesn't....if we want a youngster to run the PG, just give it Jordan and let him develop. If we're smart, we don't want a youngster to run the PG and get a good vet in their until the youngster is capable (if ever) of running the spot on his own.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I think Conley will be available at 19.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Trading for a draft pick only works best when there's a load of can't miss prospects in which some of those players are attainable.

Conley Jr. isn't a can't miss.

RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ERod86 wrote:
Farmar and Fisher aren't "tall" point guards...Phil will play whoever is on the team and can help him.

BJ Armstrong 6'2"--started for Phil for 5 years.
John Paxson 6'2", Craig Hodges 6'2"--->these were Phil's guards off the bench. Not just 1s, but they also played some 2. Those 3 were Phil's primary guards after Jordan for 3-4 years.

Then, they add Kerr. 6'3", played 1 and 2.

Then he adds Harper, but at the 2. BJ was still the starting 1. Kerr still the first guard off the bench.

Harper doesn't start until 95-96--for 5 years Phil goes with small guards. The reason he started Harper was in part because they lost BJ and their only other guards were Kerr and Randy Brown. Pippen could play the point for them, MJ the 3, so Harper was still really playing a lot of 2.

Harper started at the 2 when he first came to the Lakers, switching to the 1 only after Kobe came back from injury. Fish was Phil's starting 1 for the first 20 games or so. But again, going big was partially by plan, but also out of necessity. Fish isn't really a true point, despite being short. Harper knew the offense better than anyone else. So it was Harp at the 1 by default. By the end of the following season Fish is the starter again. The season after, it was either Lindsay Hunter (6'2") or Fish at the 1 again. The next season Fish again. Then Payton becomes the starter (at 6'4"). And then Smush at 6'4" for 2 seasons. Then Phil's goes with the even smaller Farmar in the playoffs.

So in all of Phil's career he's essentially used a big 1 for 2 seasons. Both times it was Ron Harper, who was a very good ballhandler and good decision maker for a 2 to begin with (albeit he was a turnover machine early in his career)--and both times it was mostly by default due to no starting quality smaller 1s. Admittedly, he use Shaw off the bench as a 1 too. But again, lack of good, shorter 1s on the bench.

Phil may well prefer tall point guards, but his career hardly indicates any inflexibility when it comes to size at the 1.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Once again, old standards of PGs, especially with guys who were SGs in PG bodies.

I don't think there's much relevance to height really, if you've got the talent to back it up.

Chris Paul. Maurice Williams. etc.

PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I would love Mo Williams on this team. I think he is really going to blow up next season. Unfortunately, I think he is going to command significantly more than th MLE. If we could get him for the MLE, it is a no brainer.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Once again, old standards of PGs, especially with guys who were SGs in PG bodies.

I don't think there's much relevance to height really, if you've got the talent to back it up.

Chris Paul. Maurice Williams. etc.

Couldnt have said it better.

I think size is slightly more of a factor for bigmen, but still, if they got the talent they'll succeed either way.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
BJ Armstrong 6'2"--started for Phil for 5 years. John Paxson 6'2", Craig Hodges 6'2"--->these were Phil's guards off the bench

BJ started only 3 seasons in Chi. Paxson started 3 years, 2 of those for the 1st 3-peat. Armstrong didn't start until the last title of the 1st 3-peat and then a few seasons later he left for G'State.

As for Harper at the PG, Phil fell in love with the Big Guard because he liked the mismatches it gave them, especially in the post and the fact that a bigger guard could throw into the post over his shorter PG opponent. Also, that was the year they went 72-10.

And Phil didn't start Harper here in L.A. by "default" as you say. He brought him over to run/teach the triangle by DESIGN not by default. Harper knew the triangle well and Phil finally had a great reason to use the height advantage of his PG to throw over the top into the post - Shaq.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

Mike made some good points. I thought he was maybe on par with Paul, but I don't follow college as closely as I do NBA. But in terms of height, who gives a crap? Height is a preference, but would you really turn away a talented player because he's a few inches below Phil's preference? Everytime someone mentions a PG candidate on this board, some have to out-of-hand dismiss it because of his heigh. Look, EVERYONE on this board knows Phil likes tall PGs. You're not privilege to secret scouting info. But we have to imagine there's some flexibility there if the PG has a lot of talent.

I'm with you on that point. I don't care how tall a PG is unless his first name if Ervin.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

Here we go again, drafting for triangle players. T Parker is only 6'1" and so is Iverson, TJ Ford. How tall are Stockton, Isaiah, Kevin Johnson, or KC Jones?

That's been my point in a number of posts recently. Forget about drafting for the triangle. Just forget it already. I admire Phil and Tex as much as anyone. They have the hardware. But the Lakers should be fun to watch as well as a championship franchise.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
I think Conley will be available at 19.

Yeah, right after Oden at 18 :roll:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: