Hot Dogs! List Your Best Hot Dogs Spots Hea!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Damn, Costco has it goin' on like THAT? I need to get on over there and check one of those then.

Costco hot dogs (jumbo, steamed Hebrew Nationals) are great for two reasons. One, they're all beef Hebrew Nationals, which automatically makes them good. Two, you get a dog and a soda for $1.50. It's not a hot dog stand, though. So don't go expecting chili, cheese, tomatoes, etc. You get your dog and they got mustard, ketchup, onions, and relish to go on it if you want. Not that you need anything besides mustard.
Kobewan_Kenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

Portillo's in Buena Park. It's a hot dog franchise from Chicago.

As for the best hot dogs in LA, I personally think Pink's is over-rated. After a night of partying, I would much rather grab a bacon-wrapped hot dog from a street vendor, than have to wait in line at Pink's for over 45 minutes...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Damn, Costco has it goin' on like THAT? I need to get on over there and check one of those then.

Costco hot dogs (jumbo, steamed Hebrew Nationals) are great for two reasons. One, they're all beef Hebrew Nationals, which automatically makes them good. Two, you get a dog and a soda for $1.50. It's not a hot dog stand, though. So don't go expecting chili, cheese, tomatoes, etc. You get your dog and they got mustard, ketchup, onions, and relish to go on it if you want. Not that you need anything besides mustard.

Ah, ok cool. I always wondered why that line was so long whenever I was at Co.
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

and lots of onions! Mmm, Mmm good!

But that Chilean hot dog sounded good too...without the Sauerkraut.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

If you're not eating at cafe 1.50, you're definitely missing out.

BTW, in the name of good taste, I am going to refrain from telling any of the "LuxuryBrown", "Weiner", and "Buns" thoughts that spring (no pun intended) to mind.

Don't say I never did anything nice for you bro
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

If you're not eating at cafe 1.50, you're definitely missing out.

BTW, in the name of good taste, I am going to refrain from telling any of the "LuxuryBrown", "Weiner", and "Buns" thoughts that spring (no pun intended) to mind.

Don't say I never did anything nice for you bro

You and ocho, I swear!
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:

Obvious answer is Surf Dog in Carpinteria, Ca.

http://www.scbeacon.com/beacon_issues/03_03_20/workingweek.html
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:

Costco's dogs are good! But part of why they are good is that you can get them with a coke for $1.50. Value value value. They make a darn good slice of pepperoni pizza too. Also very cheap.

I like Pink's.

I've had the coney dogs in Michigan...they were ok. (Just last month as a matter of fact!)
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Fond memories of literally digging around for change during my college days so my buddies and I could make the trip out to Costco and dine like kings on hot dogs. Even 10 years ago, it was still $1.50 for a hot dog and a soda. Nice to know it still hasn't changed - inflation be damned!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Costco's dogs are good! But part of why they are good is that you can get them with a coke for $1.50. Value value value. They make a darn good slice of pepperoni pizza too. Also very cheap.

I like Pink's.

I've had the coney dogs in Michigan...they were ok. (Just last month as a matter of fact!)

Now, I've always heard their pizza was good but this is the 1st time I'm hearing the rave reviews for the dogs.

And I'm hitting Pink's tonite before the USA/PR game.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't eat hot dogs often, but I think the only two places I've paid for a dog are Costco and 7-eleven. I thought both were very good.

Lux did you ever try that sirloin burger at Jack in the Box?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject:

This thread made me really want a hotdog. I stopped at smart and final on the way home and grabbed a bunch of hebrew nationals and some buns - they're sitting on the grill now.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I don't eat hot dogs often, but I think the only two places I've paid for a dog are Costco and 7-eleven. I thought both were very good.

Damn, 7-11? Then again, back in the day, they did used to have some bomb hot dogs for cheap.

And yeah, I've had 3 sirloin burgers since you guys turned me on to them and they are fandamntastic! All they need to do is make a Double Sirloin and it's a done deal!

So thanks for the hookup on the Sirloin, bro!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
This thread made me really want a hotdog. I stopped at smart and final on the way home and grabbed a bunch of hebrew nationals and some buns - they're sitting on the grill now.

I just got in from Pink's!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Damn, 7-11? Then again, back in the day, they did used to have some bomb hot dogs for cheap.

And yeah, I've had 3 sirloin burgers since you guys turned me on to them and they are fandamntastic! All they need to do is make a Double Sirloin and it's a done deal!

lol yeah it was a while ago but I remember 7-11 had good cheese. I think it was jalapeno cheese or something like that. And Costco's dogs got me through college like a few other folks in this thread

Glad you liked the sirloin burger. I only tried it because in-n-out was closed one night, so my cousin made me stop at jack in the box to try it.

I've lived here in so cal my whole life and I've never had a Pink's hot dog. I actually drive by it all the time too. What'd you think of it? Worth the hype?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Exick wrote:
encina1 wrote:
The scariest hot dogs I have seen are right here in MI. There is a reason why Michiganders are so fat. There is a fascination with coney dogs here, and coney restaurants (I don't get the Jersey fascination).

Anyways, a coney dog is a hot dog on a bun, covered with refried beans (or chili?), onions, and mustard. It looks so horrendous, and I have never seen anyone actually eat one, but they are offered at all the diners, er, "coneys" in Michigan.

Really? You've never seen anyone eat a chili dog? What you described is basically a standard order at most L.A. hot dog places. If you don't want chili on your dogs, you better tell them that when you order.

I like my chili.

I like my hot dogs.

I don't see any need to combine them.

Mmmmm. You're missing out. You can even go a step further, which is what I prefer.

Way back when, I was inspired by the movie "The Hard Way" where James Woods goes to the Frog Dog vendor and eats a crazy looking dog. So, occassionally I will make something similar.

Take a bowl. Dump in two buns and at least 3 dogs. You can rip them up or cut them if you want. Pour on top of that a nice serving of french fries. Cover the whole thing with chili. Then, top with cheddar cheese and a lot of mustard. Onions optional. Eat with a knife and fork.

Frog Dogs...mmmmmmm.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:

IKEA has a cheap, decent hot dog as well.

BTW, if you want the best hot dog in the world, go to downtown Toronto and stop by a cart on the street. Bar none, best hot dogs I have ever had... and I have been to New York and Chicago both a few times, just so you know.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

lol yeah it was a while ago but I remember 7-11 had good cheese. I think it was jalapeno cheese or something like that. And Costco's dogs got me through college like a few other folks in this thread

Glad you liked the sirloin burger. I only tried it because in-n-out was closed one night, so my cousin made me stop at jack in the box to try it.

I've lived here in so cal my whole life and I've never had a Pink's hot dog. I actually drive by it all the time too. What'd you think of it? Worth the hype?

(If I could, I would be typing this from the Thomas Crapper )

Man, I was up all throughout the night taking a dump - THAT CHILI IS REALLY INTENSE!

Is it worth it?...I'd say yes, just to get the experience under your belt. I got there just before the line got ridiculously long (as usual).

So, go there on a weekday before 7PM and you should be in a very manageable line. They have tons of things to choose from, so as you wait you can peruse a menu or just watch them at work and see what you may want.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:

^^^

The sacrifices we'll make for a great hot dog!!!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
^^^

The sacrifices we'll make for a great hot dog!!!

Man! I just took yet ANOTHER crap!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
^^^ Fond memories of literally digging around for change during my college days so my buddies and I could make the trip out to Costco and dine like kings on hot dogs. Even 10 years ago, it was still $1.50 for a hot dog and a soda. Nice to know it still hasn't changed - inflation be damned!

Makes you wonder how they do it huh? Ever notice that there are no stray animals within a mile of a Costco?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Socks wrote:

Makes you wonder how they do it huh? Ever notice that there are no stray animals within a mile of a Costco?

Some secrets should remain a secret!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject:

I have to correct my previous posts regarding the coney dog. I have been corrected by someone who actually has eaten them. While it is chili that is dumped on the dogs, it is not a bean chili. Instead, it is a meat chili with no beans in sight. And it cannot be held at all. It must be eaten with a fork (or some type of utensil) as it is so heavy and sloppy.

Then you have to throw on mustard and onions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Pinks in Hollywood- Ozzy dogg,Laker three peat dog

Portillo Buena Park- Chicago classic dogg

Jodi Maroni's - New york or L.a style both are very good

Dodger Dogs which has been mentioned plenty of times. Dodger stadium, City Walk

Costco does rock out also
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:

On my way home from work last night I stopped by the Canoga Park Cupid's and a 7-11. At Cupid's, the hot dogs come with chili, mustard, and onions. I got mine with no onion but added cheese. At 7-11 I got a 1/4 lb Big Bite and put some of that cheese-like substance on it. They didn't have any mustard handy.

I ate at Cupid's first, then 7-11. I really should have done it the other way around and saved the best for last. It was striking how much worse the 7-11 dog tasted than the first one. Cupid's has natural casings, so their dogs snap. The chili was awesome. I wanted another one as soon as I finished. The Big Bite doesn't have a natural casing and tasted saltier and a little greasy. The nacho cheese goop isn't terrible, but really it's only purpose is to mask some of the flavor. There was also chili available at 7-11, but I was too scared to try it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: