LAKERS -vs- WARRIORS - 10/9 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- WARRIORS - 10/9 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Down to the Wire to Start the Season... The Lakers fell behind early, trailing by more than 20 points. With LO, Luke and Kwame in street clothes, 3/5 of their starting lineup from last year wasn't playing. The bench leveled things off...then later pulled even before finally taking a lead off a Crittenton-to-Bynum alley-oop.

Critt found himself in the thick of things on both ends. He hit a huge turnaround in the final minute and also saw Hudson knock down the game winner in front of him. The Lakers dropped the game 111-110 to a fired-up Honolulu crowd. Despite the loss, a great debut for the Lakers first-round pick this year...and the first of many good games to come.

The Lakers gave up a 41-point first quarter...hard to survive too many of those.

I got to attend this game and wasn't sure if I was going to hammer out a report or not. I wasn't able to take notes, but here's a quick and dirty Thoughts and Ratings. (I didn't proof it either, so excuse any mistakes).

Kobe -- -- Kobe was into that distributor role for a good chunk of his 21 minutes. It wasn't until after he busted out with Mo Evans on a breakaway and gave it up to Mo that the crowd started to get on him. After that, he looked to score aggressively. He got the line a couple of times on three-pointer attempts. He drained a long three on another. He hit over a defender all over him on the wing. And he polished off an And-1 drive at the end of the quarter. All of that came in a stint midway through the third quarter where he finished with 17 points. He went 4-11 for the game (2-5 from three), had 5 boards, 5 assists and 6 turnovers. Kobe set up the offense and brought the ball up a ton tonight. Kobe stood out when he got it going, as he usually does. Just plays on another level.

Turiaf -- -- Ronny hit two clutch FTs with 10 seconds left in the game to give the Lakers a 1-point lead. He also had a late-game swat that was pretty nice, as well. He spend some time as the center, but also across both Mihm and Bynum. He had a couple of turnovers, one off a telegraphed pass, the other trying to post up.

Mihm -- -- It's just good to see him out there mixing it up. He battled in the thick of things on both ends. His energy on the offensive glass has been missed. He pulled down 3 of his 4 boards on the offensive end tonight. He played just 14:33 and scored 3 points on 1-5 shooting. Not much else to say, other than glad to see him back.

Radmanovic -- -- Nice game from Vlad. He was consistent offensively and a big time threat from three. He led the Lakers with 20 points on 7-10 shooting and 5-7 from three. He also grabbed 6 boards and had 4 fouls in 32:32 of action. He hit a couple of rainbow threes with men on him that had the crowd going. He also had a nice catch and shoot off a look from Bynum against the zone. Defensively, he was below average. These are the kinds of games you want to see him pop every so often now that his hand and snowboarding injuries are behind him.

DFish -- -- Not a whole lot to say here. He did pretty much as you would expect against BDiddy and Thud, which is to say you are going to have to give him quite a bit of help, and he's going to have to fight screens as best he can. Fish's best play was probably a crossover And-1 he put in. He also managed to draw his usual charge. He scored 9 points in 17 minutes on 3-7 shooting, and he had 3 assists.

Crittenton -- -- The kid stepped up and showed some of the things he could do. Honestly, if he wanted to throttle the Warriors with his offensive game, he probably could have. There is no way THud can stay with Critt. Not with his first step and handles. The rook showed his clutch abilities late in the game with a huge turnaround jumper along the baseline. His real issues this season will be on defensive decision making. That's just the way it's going to be as a rookie. Hudson hit the game winner over him, knocking down a three. You got to play him for the shot at that point...but that's just knowing your horses. Critt scored 18 points on 5-9 shooting and hit all 7 of his FT attempts in just 15 minutes of action. He spun to lose his man and hit a floater in the lane. He attacked three defenders on the break, freezing a bigman before exploding past him for the score. He also drained a three. He missed another late in the game. His best pass was a nice back door lob read to Bynum for a dunk. And he hit that big turnaround. Just an excellent game from him, other than the last shot. He showed a lot of what I mentioned in the preview: the clutch abilities, the fearless handles, the ability to run the offense and to set up teammates. He played the PG, but also a little SG with the smaller Golden State lineups.

Bynum -- 8) -- Drew did a good job on the defensive glass tonight. He pulled down 12 boards (9 defensive) in just under 20 minutes to go with 9 points on 3-6 shooting. The real weakness I think he showed tonight was not being a true anchor defensively. He didn't get any blocks and he didn't go after a few shots he should have. Offensively, he didn't get a ton of touches, but early in the second he scored a layup off an interior feed. He dunked off another. And, later, he threw down an alley-oop from Critt off a spin backdoor. He got to the line a couple of times, once off a nice dropstep that sealed his man badly.

Farmar -- -- Jordan couldn't connect offensively, going just 1-6 from the floor...but he did get to the line and made all 6 attempts there. He finished with 8 points and helped spark the team a couple of times. Nice to see him helping out on the glass, pulling down 4 boards in his 17 minutes. Even though his shot wasn't there, he was still effective in other ways, which is what you like to see.

Evans -- -- Cold Mo. What else needs to be said. He scored his one hoop off a breakaway dunk that Kobe could have taken himself. He missed his other 7 shots. Classic Cold Mo.

Sasha -- -- Good game from Sasha. He could guard anyone, of course, and gave up a lot of penetration...but he was that spark offensively that he needs to be. He finished with 15 points on 4-7 shooting (6-7 from the line). He didn't settle for the three all game (only took two) and attacked and mixed in some midrange. That's what he's got to do. He and Vlad -- not a great defensive combo -- definitely played a key role with their offensive games.

Cook -- -- Blech. He scored 2 points on 1-6 shooting (including 0-3 from three). He was MIA at times on the defensive glass, which has been an issue. And, I don't care to see him D-up Al Harrington ever again.

Karl -- -- He played just under 8 minutes and missed both three's he attempted. He was called for a weak turnover on the pinch post. He nearly had a steal with that long wingspan of his slapping down a ball.

Patterson -- -- Next. Twelve minutes of nothing.

E. Brown -- -- He got just 4 minutes. Played the C. Grabbed a board.

H1 and University -- -- We went about 4 or 5 miles on the freeway in about an hour, missing tip off. Arrrgh! What a mess. Oh, well, we'll leave 2 hours before the next game.
BenO
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry, as one of the many LGers who are outside the US I'd just like to say it's great to see your reports starting up again with the new season, and I look forward to being able to once again read your take on games which I'll very rarely actually be able to watch.

Awesome work
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject:

Nice to read your ratings again. More good stuff to come.

A nice tight end game.
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject:

Exciting! I didn't even watch the game, and with your report, i feel like I saw it

Can't wait for the season to begin.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject:

No KCAL in San Diego. Thanks a lot!
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the summary DB! Hope you enjoy your time in Hawaii.

Quote:
We went about 4 or 5 miles on the freeway in about an hour, missing tip off. Arrrgh! What a mess.

Yeah, the traffic can get ridiculous at times.

Radmanovic and Phil seemed to be talking a lot during the game. Looks like there's still some things Radmanovic needs to grasp. Great offensive outing though.

Comparing Bellinelli and Crittenton so far, Crittenton excelled with his overall game. Bynum was ecstatic after that alley-oop. I see a real trust and sense of chemistry there.

Looking forward to your thoughts and ratings in the near future.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I'm looking forward to seeing Bynum establish himself next game with a better performance his rebounding was solid but I wanna see more offense from him.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject:

I dont know I just dont see any improvements from Bynum . Well enough to impress me or enough for me to feel that he could even contend with Amare, or Duncan.

It might to early but seriously we still need help
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject:

Nice wrap DB.

Thanks
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject:

Great to have these back..

thanks alot
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:

yep its back!
((Smattee))
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject:

I've missed these recaps! Thanks DB!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject:

Whats this I see? Is that a Dancing Barry report? Brilliant!!! Thanks Barry for the reports. BTW What would have happened If Miami drafted Critt and played him with Wade?
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject:

Hurray it's that time of year again. Thanks!
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject:

thanks DB!

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
OPMSm0k3r
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject:

DB summaries help bring closure to games
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject:

Good to see you back, DB:

I agree:

Cook, when he's not hitting his shot, is absolutely WORTHLESS--can't board, play D.... just worthless.

As for Mihm, I was glad to see him back on the court... but he still reminded me why I'm anxious about the Center position--still looks like a volleyball player trying to pass as an NBA Center--those hands are still AWFUL--I saw him turn red & make the the "c'mon Chris" face more than once... lol..

Farmar did do some little things, but his decision-making, and tendency to either over-dribble into traffic, jump before making a decision, pick up his dribble too early, and still-shaky perimeter shot may make him trade bait with JC coming in. Farmar worries me a bit.

The Lakers in general just seem to have too many SF/PF guys that can't guard anyone: Radmanovic, Cook, and even, when healthy Walton & Odom. Phil can point the finger all he wants, but you know that's his brainchild (after all, he LOVED Toni Kukoc). But it really showed on the defensive end--the Lakers are just terribly weak defensively at the 3 (& 4, really). We need a traditional SF BADLY to keep up with some of the more athletic teams.

Sasha surprised me. Maybe in year FOUR, he's finally learned that he's MONEY from 20" & in (finally started pulling from 20" & hitting, instead of pulling from 3 & missing), and (gasp!), actually went to the hole a couple of times. He does that & he just might be a rotation player. I don't like the way he kinda holds up the break, though, when he brings the ball upcourt.

Radmanovic has a LOT of making up to do to Lakers fans. But, if he continues to consistently play like last night (which I DON'T expect), MAYBE he can be what Kupchak & Phil envisioned when they inexplicably brought ANOTHER SF/PF who could supposedly handle, shoot & pass.

As for Crittendon, I know it's early, but count me as one of the people who WILL be saying I told you so, for all the flak I got for hyping him in Summer League--the kid has the total package and a SMOOTH, SMOOTH game--didn't force anything, IMO. Remarkable for a 19-year old.

I SO want Mo Evans to be OUR athletic guy on the wing. But sometimes, the dude just doesn't "get it". If you saw the game last night, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Bynum - Guess it all depends on your expectations of him. If you're expecting him to be a tough, interior anchor on both ends, as I am/was, you might be disappointed. I don't know if he's the type. But if you're expecting him to be along the lines of say, a Big Z, with less scoring, then you might be pleased. He seems well on his way to becoming a 12 & 10 player, but he won't be physical or become a great creator of his own shot. Looks like last year, but with SLIGHTLY more confidence, if that makes any sense.

My two cents. Thanks DB.
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject:

DB, as always, your are the man. This was greatly appreciated!
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks, turned it off after the first quarter due to exhaustion and blowout.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
Thanks, turned it off after the first quarter due to exhaustion and blowout.

Me 2, but I knew DB would deliver!
facams
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject:

Great report DB
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject:

Very nice DB. I'd like to add some observations myself...

The starters were definitely in a funk. Even Kobe came out the lockerroom cold. I do think that most of it was forcing the issue as a facilitator. But then, that's what his training camp is going to be relearning the facilitator roll.

Mihm was active and spirited but definitely looked like someone coming off a serious injury. You could see that his mind was trying to will his body to do things it wasn't ready to do yet. I think he will loosen up with time and will have a decent year.

Fish, seemed like he never left. It seemed like old times out there. He got his open shots and even drove a little, but like eveyone else that started was just cold.

The bench brought it. And they brought it big. Farmar and Critt brought a lot of energy and bounce into the game and really changed the dynamic of the contest.

Farmar, while he wasn't shooting well did distribute well. He looks more savvy out there, but still rushes some. I think he was definitely trying too hard to impress. Of the Laker PG's, I think he feels the most threatened.

J-Critt... man, what can you say other than "he's the real deal". This kid has star written all over him. He has that same will as Kobe. Whether Kobe stays or goes, we have our goto-guy of the future in J-Critt. You just had the sense that he could have scored at will but was obviously throttling back to run the offense. Defensively, he did a decent job, he definitely has the tools, now he just needs the experience. I don't know if he'll ever be a lockdown defender, but I do think he'll be a good one.

Radman, well he filled it up. And he wasn't just shooting jumpers. He drove a few times with good success. The guy is smooth. If only someone could light a defensive fire under him. But yes, games like this remind you why Kobe called him up to convince him to come to the Lakers.

Sasha had a great game. If he could play like this all the time, he'd be the perfect backup to Kobe. And with Evans perpetual cold-streak, it would be God-send, but Sasha keeps teasing, and in the end we're left weeping. Maybe the it's the hair. Maybe he'll break-out.

Bynum, in my opinion was doing a decent job on defense. However, the Warriors were hitting so well from the perimeter, and they were passing the ball so wel that they were easily avoiding him down low. He did rebound very well.

Defense is the only other thing of note. That is, that for most of the game, it seemed disorganized. The starters in particular looked like they were phoning it in, even Kobe. I mean its pre-season, and thats probably to be expected, but things just looked hectic and there was just too much scrambling and unnecessary doubling... like last year. And that's what I'm getting at... there was no difference from last year that I saw defensively.

That's pretty much all I can recall at this point.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: The 07-08 Lakers Season is officially about to set sail!!!

Break a bottle of champagne across the bow of the SS Lakers, our voyage is about to begin! Even after a couple of seasons that resembled more like the voyages of the SS Minow and the Titanic, I'm looking forward to PJ and KB steering this season at least into the second round of the playoffs. DB, you are the Captain Jack Sparrow of LG. Great job as ususal. Anchors aweigh!

I Love This Game!
I Love This Team!
I Love LG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Al-Mbarak8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject:

BenO wrote:
DancingBarry, as one of the many LGers who are outside the US I'd just like to say it's great to see your reports starting up again with the new season, and I look forward to being able to once again read your take on games which I'll very rarely actually be able to watch.

Awesome work

Hah , DB as allways Thanks alot , couldn't watch the game out here , nice wrap up

It's just life. Everybody goes through it. It doesn't matter whether you're a banker, politician or an athlete. God has a different movie script for all of us.
-Lamar Odom
lakermax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20Dub wrote:
I dont know I just dont see any improvements from Bynum . Well enough to impress me or enough for me to feel that he could even contend with Amare, or Duncan.

It might to early but seriously we still need help

9 pts 12 boards in 20 minutes is pretty good. What are your expectations of the kid?

Bynum doesn't match up well with this team. That being said I was happy he dominated the D' glass while he was in. He went up high and aggressive for boards. He's clearly more mobile and in better shape...I don't know what we should expect from this guy but he has CLEARLY improved.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: