LAKERS -vs- WARRIORS - 10/9 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!!

Hopefully in the near future, Bynum will be able to power dunk the ball, instead of getting blocked. Drew did work hard and we will witness that he has greater stamina. Emplay/DB - what is lacking that would allow him to do this?

DFish didn't look good - especially against a team that plays an "up tempo" game. However, whenever an opposing team starts going wild - DFish will provide the needed stability and consistently (good and bad).

Interesting that the team flowed so much better without Kobe on the court. This is where DFish can be invaluable where is the person that Kobe trusts so that he can be the shooter. Hopefully Crit and Farmar will be that in the near future. btw: Crit did a "SICK" move at the end of the game.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

So I see that Ronny had 25 minutes. Did he look winded at all? Could he possibly play 30-35 mpg at PF? Thanks!!
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
A question for those who watched the game:

Who is responsible for defiending Kelenna Azubuike? He scored 27 points. The guy averaged 7.1 points last year.

kobe. exclusively.

i understand why GSw got rid of J rich if they knew they had this guy to replace him.

Kobe not playing defense. Worrisome.

--Anonymous
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I know its just the 1st preseason game, but what kind of numbers do you expect to see out of JC this year DB?
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Who is responsible for defiending Kelenna Azubuike? He scored 27 points. The guy averaged 7.1 points last year.

kobe. exclusively.

i understand why GSw got rid of J rich if they knew they had this guy to replace him.

Wow, did Azubuike only play when Kobe played? I could have sworn I saw him play until the end of the game. I guess Kobe was supposed to guard him from the bench too.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

kobe. exclusively.

Wow, did Azubuike only play when Kobe played? I could have sworn I saw him play until the end of the game. I guess Kobe was supposed to guard him from the bench too.

Well duh, of course Kobe can't physically guard him from the bench but if Kobe had any leadership skills whatsoever he would be able to inspire his teammates from the bench to guard Azubuike.

Geez, will you get with the program Targetman?

10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

kobe. exclusively.

from what i saw, azubuike only played in the first and third quarter. i might have been wrong, but that was what i remembered
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB. damn i've missed these reports.
Pigpen
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:

Great report, as always...

I set my DVR to record the game with every intention of watching it the following day, but I was just so pumped to see the Lakers in action again that I stayed up to watch the whole game. Here's how I saw it:

I have to admit that I was a little nervous about their defense in the first quarter (it doesn't take an expert to see that). Yes, the Warriors couldn't miss. Yes, the Lakers were missing 3/5 of their starting lineup from last season. Yes, it's only preseason. I'm still a bit nervous.

After Nellie pulled most of his starters, it seemed like the Lakers relaxed. Their second unit went out onto the court with something to prove. Farmar clearly looks bigger, and seems to be more comfortable in the offense. Unfortunately for Farmar, Critt looks like the real deal, and if Farmar wants playing time, he may need to figure out how to play BESIDE Critt as opposed to INSTEAD of Critt.

Kobe clearly told himself that this was preseason, and proved that he could turn it on whenever he wants. Turiaf looked even better than last year, and I think he's going to be that stalwart team player who will do anything and everything he is asked to do. I was happy to see Mihm out there again, but did anyone else notice he doesn't have the same lift he once had? I remember him being a 7-footer with springs, but his vertical sadly reminded me of Cook's. Which leads me to...

BCook. What can I say? He looked terrible. For someone as one-dimensional as Cook, you would think he would either do that one thing (shoot) well or try to expand his game during the off-season. I have seriously lost faith in Cook ever since he dropped his warm-ups in Phil's lap (a terrible lack of respect), and I think it may be time to consider parting ways with him to give someone else (Karl, a player that showed me he has a pretty high basketball IQ) more opportunities. That is, if we can find another team willing to take him (please Charlotte?).

PgPn
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Kobe- I thought you were really kind to him in your evaluation. He did a very poor job as the facilitator last night, and made several poor decisions. I also think that it's important that he finds a middle ground between barely looking for his shot at all (1st half) and Planet Kobe. (3rd quarter)

I gave him a bit of a pass since it was a preseason game and I thought he might have been working on some things. The crowd was getting a little ticked, but when Kobe turned it on, he turned it on. That 6 minute stretch where he dropped 17 points just seemed like he was toying with the Warriors.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Thanks DB!!

Hopefully in the near future, Bynum will be able to power dunk the ball, instead of getting blocked. Drew did work hard and we will witness that he has greater stamina. Emplay/DB - what is lacking that would allow him to do this?

He needs to continue developing his power. If you want him to drop step and dunk over someone, he'll need to be able to dislodge his opponet and hold ground. He's not there yet...and in the meantime, will probably be able to get to the FT line quite a bit as guys will try to challenge him. He still needs to learn to use the strength he has better, as well.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
Good to see you back, DB:

I agree:

Cook, when he's not hitting his shot, is absolutely WORTHLESS--can't board, play D.... just worthless.

As for Mihm, I was glad to see him back on the court... but he still reminded me why I'm anxious about the Center position--still looks like a volleyball player trying to pass as an NBA Center--those hands are still AWFUL--I saw him turn red & make the the "c'mon Chris" face more than once... lol..

Farmar did do some little things, but his decision-making, and tendency to either over-dribble into traffic, jump before making a decision, pick up his dribble too early, and still-shaky perimeter shot may make him trade bait with JC coming in. Farmar worries me a bit.

The Lakers in general just seem to have too many SF/PF guys that can't guard anyone: Radmanovic, Cook, and even, when healthy Walton & Odom. Phil can point the finger all he wants, but you know that's his brainchild (after all, he LOVED Toni Kukoc). But it really showed on the defensive end--the Lakers are just terribly weak defensively at the 3 (& 4, really). We need a traditional SF BADLY to keep up with some of the more athletic teams.

Sasha surprised me. Maybe in year FOUR, he's finally learned that he's MONEY from 20" & in (finally started pulling from 20" & hitting, instead of pulling from 3 & missing), and (gasp!), actually went to the hole a couple of times. He does that & he just might be a rotation player. I don't like the way he kinda holds up the break, though, when he brings the ball upcourt.

Radmanovic has a LOT of making up to do to Lakers fans. But, if he continues to consistently play like last night (which I DON'T expect), MAYBE he can be what Kupchak & Phil envisioned when they inexplicably brought ANOTHER SF/PF who could supposedly handle, shoot & pass.

As for Crittendon, I know it's early, but count me as one of the people who WILL be saying I told you so, for all the flak I got for hyping him in Summer League--the kid has the total package and a SMOOTH, SMOOTH game--didn't force anything, IMO. Remarkable for a 19-year old.

I SO want Mo Evans to be OUR athletic guy on the wing. But sometimes, the dude just doesn't "get it". If you saw the game last night, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Bynum - Guess it all depends on your expectations of him. If you're expecting him to be a tough, interior anchor on both ends, as I am/was, you might be disappointed. I don't know if he's the type. But if you're expecting him to be along the lines of say, a Big Z, with less scoring, then you might be pleased. He seems well on his way to becoming a 12 & 10 player, but he won't be physical or become a great creator of his own shot. Looks like last year, but with SLIGHTLY more confidence, if that makes any sense.

My two cents. Thanks DB.

Good post, ice. I agree with the SF issue on D. What we need is someone who can play Mo's role at a higher level. I was begging for that all last season and we didn't address it this offseason. We need a guy who can D-up at both the 2-3 spots at a high level, not named Kobe. Someone who can do the heavy lifting for him. LO will make a difference if Phil plays him there more because his length does gives some guys problems and he matches up with those tweener types like Harrington. But I still wish we would have addressed it.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Saw the game but fell asleep during the 4th quarter. Dangit! Fortunately, I taped it, so I will watch it again tonight

DB, thanks for the post. I always look forward to these from you. Imagine how good this thread would have been if DB had even taken notes!

Gotta love this forum!

I tried to pound it out in an hour and it definitely lacked the detail of the notes version. I kept thinking, about a number of things I wanted to add after the fact as I a recalled them. Oh, well. Everyone else usually does a good job filling in the gaps if I miss something.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

Hawaii & the Lakers live? Could life get any better?

You know what's not half bad? Eating breakfast, looking out at the ocean here and reading LG from my laptop.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I just finished watching this game thanks to a link provided in another thread, I must say that some of the following guys looked good.

Radmanovic - That's the Vlade we used to see in another jersey. He used to be a lethal shooter out there and someone I used to hate seeing taking a jumpshot against us. Actually looks like his stroke is back. I see a slight difference in his stroke compared to last season. I definitely think the hand injury was a real excuse for him shooting so average.

Farmar - Some will say that his game stunk looking at his shot chart, but I thought Farmar did a very solid job at pushing tempo and playing pressure defense. We must overlook this obsession with point production. Not every player impacts the game through scoring. Farmar needs to bring this same game consistently.

Crittenton - Absolutely worthy of some hype. Has some very good ability to score. He is aggressive and looks to make things happen. This guy will be a 15 ppg scorer in the league if he gets an oppurtunity for a few years..

Bynum - I thought Andrew looked bigger, stronger and better. He may not have developed any killer post moves and still has some things to learn - but after a bit hesitant early - I thought he was doing well at getting post position, rebounding and finishing around the rim.

The bad

Evans - WTF. He still thinks he's MJ in the Triangle.
Cook - As we all know, unless he shoots well he is useless.
Mihm - looked nothing like the player he used to be, but needs time considering he is coming off 2 ankle surgeries.

Props to Sasha - but he did this last preseason. The guy has to start having games like that in the RS before I start to commend him.

Kobe and Fisher are vets - I could careless how they play in camp. They need to take this time to get their bodies ready. Most likely these guys are going to start almost every game this season for the Lakers.

Oh and thanks for the re-cap DB. Hope you are having a good trip with the Mrs. !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: