46%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 43

lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject:

21_Blessings wrote:
TACH wrote:
Don't matter... streaming is the future... check out the latest offerings from LG and Neflix? Or XBL? Or Playstation Home? Or Apple/iTunes? Or <a href="http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1000&tag=lakersground-20">Amazon</a>/Unbox and <a href="http://www.kqzyfj.com/ef103nmvsmu9CICCAHC9BAEAECJE" target="_blank">TiVo</a>?

Finally someone who gets it

Within 5 years, we will probably 80% digital media. The time for the 'Early Apodters' is this year. Netflix is already releasing a box later this year for HD downloads.

kevin wrote:
I saw a chart and with the WB going Blu-ray exclusive, it looks like studio content is about 70-30 now, Blu-ray only.

It really only is a matter of time before HD DVD goes away. Especially with the prices of Blu Ray DVD players going down.

When you says 70-30, you do realize thats about 1% of the total market, right? It's only a matter of time before Blu Ray goes away. DVD is still destroying Blu Ray/HD-DVD combined and won't be going away anytime soon. By the time DVD dies off, we will be completely digital which will revert Blu Ray to 'laserdisk' status.

Digital Downloads isnt close to taking over for a physical media like Blu Ray. The reason is simple, its an inferior product. Also Blu Ray versus HD DVD sales chart was useless, it was close to being a win for HD DVD. Their was a reason HD DVD was stunned when Warner went Blu Ray. Apparently Warner was going to make the switch from neutral to HD DVD, but the catch was they wanted another studio to join hd dvd, which was going to be Fox. HD DVD had a deal in principal for Fox to jumpship from blu ray, but at the 11th hour fox got a cash payout from Sony to stay put, Blu Ray then reportedly paid out Warner to go Blu. Format War = over. Its only a matter of time before Universal/Paramount ditch HD DVD and head to Blu Ray. The firesale by HD DVD is probably a couple thing, one is they want to try to get a ton of players installed into homes. Second would be, they want to get something off those players before its to late.
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject:

I wasn't quite sure why there was any real "war" between the two formats.

BLU-RAY holds more data, which equals more goodies (visual or audio) and more do-dahs (games/interactivity/etc.).

Sure it's easier to code for HD-DVD since it can still use DVD coding methods for it's menu systems and what not.

But visual quality (again, MORE space on a BLU-RAY) and audio fidelity (more space), sets the BLU-RAY format above the HD-DVD format.

The ONLY reason HD-DVD had a chance was simply because the fabrication costs would not have been as expensive as BLU-RAY (which required a totally new production machine to "press" the discs). HD-DVD would only require a few upgrades to an existing DVD fab line and they're off and running.

Other than that...I don't see why HD-DVD was even a contender for the "next gen" format.

I'm glad Sony made the smart play and did what they did to finally secured Warner. If they can only get back PARAMOUNT, that would be great!

Sony was always going to win with the sheer catalog size they had (they had this planned a long while before BLU-RAY came to market, with their purchases of MGM, COLUMBIA, ETC.).

Can't wait to get some of those good WARNER movies on BLU-RAY now

Too bad UNIVERSAL is still HD-DVD. Can't wait for them to switch too
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Went Blue-Ray today . . . got a Sony Aquos Blue-Ray player for free by buting a 42" Aquos 1080p LCD.

It also looks like many retailers have essentially decided that HD-DVD really is dead . . . they are dropping prices like crazy - probably trying to dump stock before people catch on.

Can I ask how much you got the Aquos for? I bought the same one around the super bowl last year. I am curious to see if there was any price drop.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject:

Toshiba dropped the prices, not the retailers, and they are restocking, which they would not do if they thought it was dead.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
21_Blessings wrote:
TACH wrote:
Don't matter... streaming is the future... check out the latest offerings from LG and Neflix? Or XBL? Or Playstation Home? Or Apple/iTunes? Or <a href="http://www.<a href="http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1000&tag=lakersground-20">Amazon</a>.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1000&tag=lakersground-20"><a href="http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1000&tag=lakersground-20">Amazon</a></a>/Unbox and <a href="http://www.kqzyfj.com/ef103nmvsmu9CICCAHC9BAEAECJE" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.kqzyfj.com/ef103nmvsmu9CICCAHC9BAEAECJE" target="_blank">TiVo</a></a>?

Finally someone who gets it

Within 5 years, we will probably 80% digital media. The time for the 'Early Apodters' is this year. Netflix is already releasing a box later this year for HD downloads.

kevin wrote:
I saw a chart and with the WB going Blu-ray exclusive, it looks like studio content is about 70-30 now, Blu-ray only.

It really only is a matter of time before HD DVD goes away. Especially with the prices of Blu Ray DVD players going down.

When you says 70-30, you do realize thats about 1% of the total market, right? It's only a matter of time before Blu Ray goes away. DVD is still destroying Blu Ray/HD-DVD combined and won't be going away anytime soon. By the time DVD dies off, we will be completely digital which will revert Blu Ray to 'laserdisk' status.

Digital Downloads isnt close to taking over for a physical media like Blu Ray. The reason is simple, its an inferior product. Also Blu Ray versus HD DVD sales chart was useless, it was close to being a win for HD DVD. Their was a reason HD DVD was stunned when Warner went Blu Ray. Apparently Warner was going to make the switch from neutral to HD DVD, but the catch was they wanted another studio to join hd dvd, which was going to be Fox. HD DVD had a deal in principal for Fox to jumpship from blu ray, but at the 11th hour fox got a cash payout from Sony to stay put, Blu Ray then reportedly paid out Warner to go Blu. Format War = over. Its only a matter of time before Universal/Paramount ditch HD DVD and head to Blu Ray. The firesale by HD DVD is probably a couple thing, one is they want to try to get a ton of players installed into homes. Second would be, they want to get something off those players before its to late.

Another reason I still like discs over DL is the extras I get. The commentary, the deleted scenes, the gag reels. Also, on a TV series, I get 2-4 episodes per disc. Will they offer the same digiitally?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Went Blue-Ray today . . . got a Sony Aquos Blue-Ray player for free by buting a 42" Aquos 1080p LCD.

It also looks like many retailers have essentially decided that HD-DVD really is dead . . . they are dropping prices like crazy - probably trying to dump stock before people catch on.

Can I ask how much you got the Aquos for? I bought the same one around the super bowl last year. I am curious to see if there was any price drop.

$1519 After in-store rebate, plus the Blu-Ray and 3 Blu-Ray disks. Ken Cranes has em for 1498, but you don't get the 3 free disks
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I said this on November 6, 2007:

Big Game James wrote:
The writing has been on the wall since this whole format war started. I'm actually in the business of preparing features and television shows for both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray. I had always said that Blu-Ray will easily win (if there is going to be a winner) simply because of who is backing it. The major studios (Sony, Fox, Disney, MGM, etc) are backing Blu-Ray. HD-DVD in no way can compete with them. Bottom line, people will want movies in high definition. Hence they'll migrate to the studios producing those movies. As a result, Blu-Ray has been winning this war.

With that being said, HD-DVD is making a huge push because of their drastic drop in prices for their players. But ultimately, this "closing of the gap" between the two formats will only prove temporary because in the end, those major studios are still backing Blu-Ray.

Always listen to the guy who actually does this for a living...
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kevin wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

$1519 After in-store rebate, plus the Blu-Ray and 3 Blu-Ray disks. Ken Cranes has em for 1498, but you don't get the 3 free disks

That's great. 1 year later and it is about 500 bucks less plus a Blu Ray player.
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
I said this on November 6, 2007:

Big Game James wrote:
The writing has been on the wall since this whole format war started. I'm actually in the business of preparing features and television shows for both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray. I had always said that Blu-Ray will easily win (if there is going to be a winner) simply because of who is backing it. The major studios (Sony, Fox, Disney, MGM, etc) are backing Blu-Ray. HD-DVD in no way can compete with them. Bottom line, people will want movies in high definition. Hence they'll migrate to the studios producing those movies. As a result, Blu-Ray has been winning this war.

With that being said, HD-DVD is making a huge push because of their drastic drop in prices for their players. But ultimately, this "closing of the gap" between the two formats will only prove temporary because in the end, those major studios are still backing Blu-Ray.

Always listen to the guy who actually does this for a living...

Hahah RIGHT ON BIG GAME!!!

My friend authors BLURAY discs and at his place of work, they also do HDDVD and the people who work in the office all agreed a long time ago, that the quality of the BLU RAY movies were superior than the HD DVD.

So, yes, you are correct. Trust the ones who actually work with these mediums I do!
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheels of life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kevin wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

That's great. 1 year later and it is about 500 bucks less plus a Blu Ray player.

Don't you love Moore's Law?

May Jerry Buss drink the blood of every Celtic, Sp*r and Phoenix team player!

January 20, 2009<------- When John McCain is sworn in as President.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
kevin wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kevin wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Don't you love Moore's Law?

No doubt.

Reminds me of years ago when I decided to commit to freelancing as a high-end retoucher/compositor in the commercial photography world and decided to take out a loan to buy my own system (which at the time cost more than a decent luxury sedan).

I made the mistake of taking my wife along to pick up my new workstation. She asked the guy I bought all my equipment from "How long before that stuff is cheaper?"

He said, "I wouldn't worry about how soon it will be cheaper because it will probably be outdated by next month and obselete within a year."

He was close, the technology progressed at mind numbing speeds back then.

Anyway . . . back on subject, Blue-Ray looks freaking great. It breaks down slightly when there is a bunch of action and camera movement going on at the same time. But for the most part, on a progressive scan monitor it looks great.

I have spent years editing with 1080p material on top end studio monitors and decks and Blue-Ray material doesn't disappoint on the consumer level.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

IeatTofu@lakergames
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I have both and i would have ot say that blu ray is better . just my opinion
frenzy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject:

HD DVD is slowly dying
blu ray keeps getting all the major companies to sign exclusively with them
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:

Netflix Dumps HD DVD.

----

With the industry now having picked a winner in the face-off between the two competing high- definition DVD formats, Netflix, Inc., the world's largest online movie rental service, today said that it will move toward stocking high-def DVDs exclusively in the Blu-ray format.

Citing the decision by four of the six major movie studios to publish high-def DVD titles only in the Sony-developed Blu-ray format, Netflix said that as of now it will purchase only Blu-ray discs and will phase out by roughly year's end the alternative high-def format, HD DVD, developed by Toshiba.

Since the first high-definition DVDs came on the market in early 2006, Netflix has stocked both formats. But the company said that in recent months the industry has stated its clear preference for Blu-ray and that it now makes sense for the company to initiate the transition to a single format.

"The prolonged period of competition between two formats has prevented clear communication to the consumer regarding the richness of the high-def experience versus standard definition," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix, in the press release. "We're now at the point where the industry can pursue the migration to a single format, bring clarity to the consumer and accelerate the adoption of high-def. Going forward, we expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly. These factors could well lead to another decade of disc-based movie watching as the consumer's preferred means."

Added Mr. Sarandos: "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us to create the best experience for subscribers who want high- definition to be an important part of how they enjoy our service."

While only a portion of Netflix subscribers have elected to receive high- def DVDs, a majority of those subscribers have chosen Blu-ray over HD DVD. As part of the transition to Blu-ray, the company said it will acquire no new HD DVDs but that its current HD DVD inventory would continue to rent until the discs' natural life cycle takes them out of circulation in the coming months. Netflix currently stocks over 400 Blu-ray titles.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
Netflix Dumps HD DVD.

----

With the industry now having picked a winner in the face-off between the two competing high- definition DVD formats, Netflix, Inc., the world's largest online movie rental service, today said that it will move toward stocking high-def DVDs exclusively in the Blu-ray format.

Citing the decision by four of the six major movie studios to publish high-def DVD titles only in the Sony-developed Blu-ray format, Netflix said that as of now it will purchase only Blu-ray discs and will phase out by roughly year's end the alternative high-def format, HD DVD, developed by Toshiba.

Since the first high-definition DVDs came on the market in early 2006, Netflix has stocked both formats. But the company said that in recent months the industry has stated its clear preference for Blu-ray and that it now makes sense for the company to initiate the transition to a single format.

"The prolonged period of competition between two formats has prevented clear communication to the consumer regarding the richness of the high-def experience versus standard definition," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix, in the press release. "We're now at the point where the industry can pursue the migration to a single format, bring clarity to the consumer and accelerate the adoption of high-def. Going forward, we expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly. These factors could well lead to another decade of disc-based movie watching as the consumer's preferred means."

Added Mr. Sarandos: "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us to create the best experience for subscribers who want high- definition to be an important part of how they enjoy our service."

While only a portion of Netflix subscribers have elected to receive high- def DVDs, a majority of those subscribers have chosen Blu-ray over HD DVD. As part of the transition to Blu-ray, the company said it will acquire no new HD DVDs but that its current HD DVD inventory would continue to rent until the discs' natural life cycle takes them out of circulation in the coming months. Netflix currently stocks over 400 Blu-ray titles.

Link?
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
kevin wrote:
Netflix Dumps HD DVD.

----

Link?

I pulled that from a different web board but here is a link with some of the same info.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006468.html
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
I pulled that from a different web board but here is a link with some of the same info.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006468.html

Excellent! Thanks.
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Yeap. Netflix dumped HD-DVD and said they would phase out all HD-DVD by end of year.

Funeral march for HD-DVD....tsk tsk.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Best Buy kicks HD DVD while it's down

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9869591-7.html?tag=nefd.top
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject:

Kevin, dang man.

I keep running into the same news as you and I come here and "POOF" you have it posted! hahaha

I'm really surprised a major retailer (Best Buy) has finally chosen a side. This should really make things interesting.

I'm still waiting for a lot of Universal Pictures titles to be made for Blu-Ray. Heheh

If that happens, it's guaranteed that HD-DVD is dead. At this point, any studio switch on HD-DVD side is pretty much a guarantee it's all over for HD-DVD. Poor Toshiba.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:

BoredTiger wrote:

I'm still waiting for a lot of Universal Pictures titles to be made for Blu-Ray. Heheh

If that happens, it's guaranteed that HD-DVD is dead. At this point, any studio switch on HD-DVD side is pretty much a guarantee it's all over for HD-DVD. Poor Toshiba.

I may be wrong, but I believe I saw something recently that they are going that way.

Either way - HD-DVD, meet fork.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
BoredTiger wrote:

I may be wrong, but I believe I saw something recently that they are going that way.

Either way - HD-DVD, meet fork.

If that's true...I'd be VERY happy.

There are A LOT of movies from the Universal catalog, that I'd LOVE to see on Blu-Ray

Some promising news!

heheh "fork" haha
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject:

The topic of this thread is going to have to change to something like, "What to do with my obsolete HD DVD player?"

Please read below.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ib77125d96b22e86027d0bfb0c25aa58d
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject:

Walmart dumps HD-DVD.

There are now reports that Toshiba may pull the plug on HD-DVD. Sorry no link, just heard it on cnn.

Guess that means Game Over.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Walmart dumps HD-DVD.

They didn't have HD-DVD movies when I was in there about a month ago, just BLU.

Given Walmart's typical consumer are looking for low prices I have to wonder how many will pay twice as much for BLU machines vs HD-DVD.

Wonder if Sony paid off Walmart like they did the studios.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: