TWOLVES -at- LAKERS - 11/9 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject:

MasTaFUsion wrote:
First! Nice game DB, I was there...!

me too. i thought it had pretty nice energy throughout the arena.

Its nice that fans appreciate AB.

Nice game. LO is the don of the bench mob

The lakers will get prince.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:

What ever happened to Popcorn Machine's Game Flows?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:

A few things stood out to me:

Kobe - This is the first game where Kobe looked like he was having fun out there and enjoying himself. It was great to see.

Odom - The offense didn't stagnate at all with him in the lineup. He kept the ball moving on offense and was making some nice, hard cuts. He was also very active on the boards and on defense. Lamar is going to fit in just fine.

Turiaf - The guy is just so active out there. I think that limits his rebounding number somewhat because he's all over the floor. However, his defensive rotations, blocked shots and steals more than make up for the seemingly average rebounding. I loved the fact that he was running down the middle of the lane and sealing his man underneath the basket ala Shaq. Also, he played the best defense against AJ by far.

Bynum - He is officially a dominant rebounder in my book. I was thinking that his numbers against Utah and Phoenix might've been a fluke, but he's looking like a monster on the boards every night. He outrebounded Chandler during the Hornets game and controlled the boards even with Ratliff and Jefferson in the lineup. If he had been in at the end of the 4th, the Lakers wouldn't have had trouble controlling their defensive glass.

Farmar - He didn't have a great game, but how the heck did he go from a guy with some speed to a guy who's easily one of the fastest guys in the NBA...all in one season? His speed in the open court is amazing and always catches me by surprise when he decides to turn on the jets.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:

The best thing about the game was the ball movement, but the flip side to that was too many risky ventures were attempted, leading to too many turnovers. More time together on the court should stop those to's.

Mihm is getting more comfortable. Gotta love combo centers that can get 20/20.

LO was very smooth and fluid. No outside shot, but that will come too.

A win against the Celtics JV team is good.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

A win is good.

yup, yup

The lakers will get prince.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I was also there!

And it was a good game to see.

My only true disappointment is that Phil didn't put in J-Critt. I was looking forward to seeing him play for the first time in person.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

chazz wrote:
Nice recap d-Barry. Do you think when Kwame´s healthy that Pj might use him at PF a little more instead since Mihm and Bynum are doing good together or is it back to the three headed monster=)?

He might dabble with it a little. He did run Mihm out there at PF in the preseason.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20071109&game=MINLAL
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

Bynum - He is officially a dominant rebounder in my book. I was thinking that his numbers against Utah and Phoenix might've been a fluke, but he's looking like a monster on the boards every night. He outrebounded Chandler during the Hornets game and controlled the boards even with Ratliff and Jefferson in the lineup. If he had been in at the end of the 4th, the Lakers wouldn't have had trouble controlling their defensive glass.

After the game I was thinking about the players we have that can impose their will on an opponent. Kobe and Lamar last year. That was it. Adding to them this year, we have Farmar and Turiaf in some short stints...but obviously both are still not there yet. And, now, I think Bynum is imposing his will in one part of his game -- rebounding. If you equalize the league by minutes per rebound, he's third in the league in rebounding. He's averaging 7 more rebounds per 48 than last year (now 20.1, last year 12.9). That's a big jump. He's going after boards so much better during his time on the floor than last year. It's probably a combination of conditioning, experience, and strength, which has all improved. Nice trend to see in his game in this early part of the season. Hopefully, he can keep it up.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20071109&game=MINLAL

Why is he not posting them, or anything else for that matter, here lately?

Not trying to stir anything up, I just really like Popcorn...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
Is he playing in order to be traded after December 15? At the trade deadline? Next summer?

He's just playing his game. When the W's count and the stats all count, he's not going to fool around no matter what jersey he is wearing.

I don't think he'll be traded this year. I suppose someone could come along with an incredible offer, but I doubt it. There are some in the FO who are very ticked at him, obviously. Come draft day, anything could happen, though.

In the meantime, a lot of W's and post season success could change opinions on both sides.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Another day rises with a Lakers game and sets with a great DB REVIEW!

Questions for DB & Comments:
LO vs Turiaff @ PF
This year, it is Turiaff's year because his activity - whether is is to prevent the opposing player(s) to get rebounds or get rebounds himself - along with his physical ability to take the punishment makes him the better choice.
How much a factor in LO's injuries (i.e. shoulders, etc.) were the direct result of the pounding he took at PF?

Leaders: DFish & Kobe
During the off-season, many people were down on the DFish aquisition. It is amazing what happens to a team when 1) The Lakers actually have 5 players awake and playing (i.e. Smush - just watch his performances his Miami); 2) An efficient/effective PG starts the offense; 3) It is somebody the Kobe will listen to; 4) Somebody who is consistent/persistent/clutch and: 5) Another bonafide/trusted/clutch/consistent/respected leader (from Kobe, PJ, teammates, opposing teams, referres, etc.) on the court.
Do you think that PJ will try to save DFish for the playoffs - yes, I am assuming/anticipating that they will make the playoffs?!?!?!

The Second Team: Luke/Vlad/Farmar/Bynum
With LO's return and Turiaff's emergence, it has created a stronger bench if they can settle into their respective roles.
Do you think that Vlad (designated scorer/hit man who has the green light, ala Vinnie Johnson of the old Pistons and Manu of the Spurs - though he is not a true "sub"), Farmar - change of tempo PG ala Bugsy Boles and Luke as the hi/low post passer would be the best roles for them?

Mo vs. Sasha vs. Luke @ SG When Kobe's Out
With Mo and Sasha still being inconsistent, could Luke get more PG while being the backup SG? With Luke's minutes going down (20+ minutes) during the last game, this backup SG role might help him maintain his "flow."

Who do you anticipate will spend the most time on the IR - outside of Cook since he should always be there?

Last edited by A Mad Chinaman on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Why is he not posting them, or anything else for that matter, here lately?

Not trying to stir anything up, I just really like Popcorn...

I am not sure. He stepped away from things this summer. I thought he'd be back, but that's obviously not the case.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
Is he playing in order to be traded after December 15? At the trade deadline? Next summer?

He's just playing his game. When the W's count and the stats all count, he's not going to fool around no matter what jersey he is wearing.

I don't think he'll be traded this year. I suppose someone could come along with an incredible offer, but I doubt it. There are some in the FO who are very ticked at him, obviously. Come draft day, anything could happen, though.

In the meantime, a lot of W's and post season success could change opinions on both sides.

Thanks, DB. Pretty much reflecting what I think. Lets' hope we are all up for surprize (and good one) next June.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

How much a factor in LO's injuries (i.e. shoulders, etc.) were the direct result of the pounding he took at PF?

I don't know how much. He's always struggled with injuried, even before he played the PF spot.

Quote:

Do you think that PJ will try to save DFish for the playoffs - yes, I am assuming/anticipating that they will make the playoffs?!?!?!

Yes. He'll keep his minutes down. And Farmar will also help make that decision, too, with his play.

Quote:

The Second Team: Luke/Vlad/Farmar/Bynum...
...Do you think that Vlad (designated scorer/hit man who has the green light, ala Vinnie Johnson of the old Pistons and Manu of the Spurs - though he is not a true "sub"), Farmar - change of tempo PG ala Bugsy Boles and Luke as the hi/low post passer would be the best roles for them?

Phil will feel things out with this unit in the second quarter and try to bring back an impact unit to start the fourth. That is where games can be won and lost (and have) this year. When one or two of these four can give you a stint of impact minutes -- whether it's Vlad on fire, Farmar taking over, etc. -- that is huge for us.

Quote:

Mo vs. Sasha vs. Luke @ SG When Kobe's Out
With Mo and Sasha still being inconsistent, could Luke get more PG while being the backup SG? With Luke's minutes going down (20+ minutes) during the last game, this backup SG role might help him maintain his "flow."

It'll probably depend on match ups, but Luke's played a lot of SG in the past. He'll probably get stints there.

Quote:

Who do you anticipate will spend the most time on the IR - outside of Cook since he should always be there?

The PC move for Phil will be Crit, Karl and rotating one other player depending on match up.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

A year ago, I felt Luke didn't hesitate at all to shoot, now that hesitation is back in his game a bit.

This may sound odd, but I think he's trying not to hesitate this year (because that has been a problem in the past), but in doing this, he's rushing things more than he has as far as his mechanics. Right now, unfortunatley, I expect him to miss every shot he takes from the perimeter.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

After the game I was thinking about the players we have that can impose their will on an opponent. Kobe and Lamar last year. That was it. Adding to them this year, we have Farmar and Turiaf in some short stints...but obviously both are still not there yet. And, now, I think Bynum is imposing his will in one part of his game -- rebounding. If you equalize the league by minutes per rebound, he's third in the league in rebounding. He's averaging 7 more rebounds per 48 than last year (now 20.1, last year 12.9). That's a big jump. He's going after boards so much better during his time on the floor than last year. It's probably a combination of conditioning, experience, and strength, which has all improved. Nice trend to see in his game in this early part of the season. Hopefully, he can keep it up.

Not getting stupid ticky tack fouls really helps out as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TWOLVES -at- LAKERS - 11/9 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

I'm not sure how you can rate Mihm anything but horrible out there. He was pushed around on both sides of the board.

This has nothing to do with effort but imo conditioning at this point.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TWOLVES -at- LAKERS - 11/9 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

kawai442 wrote:
I'm not sure how you can rate Mihm anything but horrible out there. He was pushed around on both sides of the board.

Both sides? He killed the TWolves on the offensive glass. Even the great rebound stats he had on that end don't reflect the number of times he kept possessions alive. The second chances and putback scores we got from him were key.

Certainly his D has issues still, as I mentioned...but he was causing the TWolves a lot of problems in their interior.
THE_TWELFTH
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Loooooooong time (3 yrs) lurker, due to the fact that my primary e-mail addresss is a paid yahoo account. Anyway... First post! I just wanted to thank you for the great recaps of last season and the continued excellence on this season. Thanks, D.B.!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH - Glad you got through and posted.
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TWOLVES -at- LAKERS - 11/9 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
kawai442 wrote:

Both sides? He killed the TWolves on the offensive glass. Even the great rebound stats he had on that end don't reflect the number of times he kept possessions alive. The second chances and putback scores we got from him were key.

Certainly his D has issues still, as I mentioned...but he was causing the TWolves a lot of problems in their interior.

I'm sorry but keeping balls alive on tip in drills don't do it for me. On offense he had bad hands and was easily pushed around. On defense again he was pushed around. The Timberwolves were pretty weak in the interior rebounding regardless of whom we put in the game. Ratliff is just a shell of a player that he was before.

Offensive boards were about the only thing Mihm contributed but overall his impact was a negative not a positive.

This isn't about effort. At this point, he has no conditioning, strength or timing.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, good win!

I guess Kobe's going to stick with that arm-sleeve even though he's close to a hundred-percent. As long as he's playing the way he is, I'd say add another arm-sleeve for good luck.

Looks like Fish is our consistent third-option, but would really like to see him make more of his points outside of the free-throw line. He should really capture and secure that role of the third-option on the team.

Would be good to establish a solid sixth-man as well. As of now, that sixth-man might be split into an offensive bench player and a defensive bench player (Bynum). It would be good to have a sense of reliability for that role on the team.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:

DB, when is Crittenton gonna get PT?

shouldn't he try to test what he does off the bench and let Farmar sit a little more then he does?

maybe we will just use him in a trade package with Kwame this year?!?!? doesn't look like he fits in our long-term plans no matter what the reasons are.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: