Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Anderson Silva: "I'll retire next year, I already gave my all."

Damn!

Wow, I hope its not true!

but he doesnt have anything to prove!
people have fighting for 2nd place in that division since he got there!

That means it's time for him to move up into the LHW division. There's no shortage of competition there...
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject:

So who else watched TUF tonight? I thought Eliot Marshall got screwed in that decision (last fight of the show). At least he got to stay on.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject:

DAMN! I missed it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
So who else watched TUF tonight? I thought Eliot Marshall got screwed in that decision (last fight of the show). At least he got to stay on.

Yeah I thought he dominated the fight...
All those triangle attempts!
i kind of dont like the format of getting guys into the house...
because the best guys dont always get in.
but yeah, im glad Eliot got back in!
SirRunnethOfSoCal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject:

Silva retiring is nothing but a ploy to get MORE money for a shot at him.

Lennox Lewis did this in boxing. Made about $15+ million extra alone from being "forced" out of his retirements.

Mayweather is doing it now.

"The mafia appeal to your intellect - 'You're an intelligent person aren't you? And you realize it's very difficult to walk without knees?'" - Richard Pryor
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject:

SirRunnethOfSoCal wrote:
Silva retiring is nothing but a ploy to get MORE money for a shot at him.

Lennox Lewis did this in boxing. Made about $15+ million extra alone from being "forced" out of his retirements.

Mayweather is doing it now.

i think its different with UFC... they are contract fighters. they dont get paid per fight.
im pretty sure its different than boxing!

although what you're saying makes sense...
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject:

Couple big announcements for the WEC today:
http://www.wec.tv/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=14790

First, Torres is going to fight Tapia on Dec. 3. Personally I think this will be a great fight. I don't think Torres will submit Tapia, and I think he'll win by a decision.

Second, the major news: Zuffa is shutting down the 185 and 205 weight classes in the WEC in 2009:

The WEC also announced that, starting in 2009, the organization will focus on four weight classes: welterweight (170 pounds), lightweight (155 pounds), featherweight (145 pounds), and bantamweight (135 pounds). The WEC will no longer actively promote light heavyweight and middleweight fights after the Dec. 3rd event. This increased attention to the sport’s lighter divisions makes the WEC the undisputed home of the most exciting lighter weight fighters in mixed martial arts.

Personally, I'm excited as heck to see Paulo Filho in the UFC, even if he won't fight Anderson Silva.

Who do you guys think will make the move to UFC? I'm guessing ...

MW: Filho, Sonnen, Baker, Rosholt
LHW: Cantwell, Stann, Munoz, maybe Rhino

Obviously the LHW's are going to get chewed up by the UFC, but I think Cantwell is a good prospect who might get somewhere if he doesn't get thrown to the wolves right away. The UFC should do Stann vs. Houston Alexander at their Dec. 10 troops show. Stann being a Marine and both guys being strikers with no ground game would be a good show. Most of the MW's should do decently, and Filho obviously will do very well.

Overall I think this strengthens the WEC. I think they should also add a flyweight division now that they're getting rid of the big guys.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Couple big announcements for the WEC today:
http://www.wec.tv/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=14790

First, Torres is going to fight Tapia on Dec. 3. Personally I think this will be a great fight. I don't think Torres will submit Tapia, and I think he'll win by a decision.

Second, the major news: Zuffa is shutting down the 185 and 205 weight classes in the WEC in 2009:

The WEC also announced that, starting in 2009, the organization will focus on four weight classes: welterweight (170 pounds), lightweight (155 pounds), featherweight (145 pounds), and bantamweight (135 pounds). The WEC will no longer actively promote light heavyweight and middleweight fights after the Dec. 3rd event. This increased attention to the sport’s lighter divisions makes the WEC the undisputed home of the most exciting lighter weight fighters in mixed martial arts.

Personally, I'm excited as heck to see Paulo Filho in the UFC, even if he won't fight Anderson Silva.

Who do you guys think will make the move to UFC? I'm guessing ...

MW: Filho, Sonnen, Baker, Rosholt
LHW: Cantwell, Stann, Munoz, maybe Rhino

Obviously the LHW's are going to get chewed up by the UFC, but I think Cantwell is a good prospect who might get somewhere if he doesn't get thrown to the wolves right away. The UFC should do Stann vs. Houston Alexander at their Dec. 10 troops show. Stann being a Marine and both guys being strikers with no ground game would be a good show. Most of the MW's should do decently, and Filho obviously will do very well.

Overall I think this strengthens the WEC. I think they should also add a flyweight division now that they're getting rid of the big guys.

I think that is a very smart idea! I love the Bantam and Featherweights and I watch about a billion hours of WEC, so that is good news to me!

I'm just disappointed they postponed the last WEC to Nov. 5th... thats way too long!
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so it just came out that Stann is fighting on Dec. 10 in the fight for the troops.... against Steve Cantwell in the UFC.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
EliteXC on Monday released the updated fight card for CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights, which takes place on Oct. 4 on CBS. As previously announced, the main event features Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson against UFC Hall-of-Famer Ken Shamrock.

Following the rescheduling of Affliction Entertainment's sophomore offering, Day of Reckoning, a bout between Affliction heavyweights Andrei Arlovski and Roy Nelson is a late addition to CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights.

EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields will defend his title against Cage Rage champion Paul Daley. The CBS portion of the event will also feature Gina Carano versus Kelly Kobald and former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo "Ninja" Rua against former IFL fighter Benji Radach.

A preliminary bout between Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos and Yoko Takahashi was originally slated to be a swing bout on the CBS telecast if time permitted. The addition of Arlovski versus Nelson puts the televised portion at five bouts, not likely to leave time for the Santos-Takahashi bout.

Main Card on CBS:
• Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson vs. Ken Shamrock
• Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley
• Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy Nelson
• Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobald
• Benji Radach vs. Murilo "Ninja" Rua
Preliminary Bouts:
• Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Yoko Takahashi
• Edson Berto vs. Connor Heun
• Seth Petruzelli vs. Aaron Rosa
• Lorenzo Borgomeo vs. Mikey Gomez
• David Gomez vs. Brett Jackowski
• Jorge Bouchat vs. Nicolae Cury

Article

Also, anybody catch DREAM 6?

Quote:
Dream.6: Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic vs. Alistair Overeem Ends in No Contest (Low Blows)
Posted Sep 23rd 2008 7:47AM by Michael David Smith (author feed)
Filed under: Dream

The highly anticipated heavyweight fight between Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Alistair Overeem at Dream.6 today had an extremely disappointing ending, as Overeem repeatedly kneed Cro Cop in the groin, preventing Cro Cop from going on and forcing the fight to end in a no contest.

Handling the TV commentary, Bas Rutten said that Cro Cop's corner had told him that "Cro Cop's right testicle is inside."

Overeem was dominating the fight early: He threw Cro Cop to the ground a minute into the first round, and in unleashing a ground-and-pound assault he opened up a cut over Cro Cop's left eye. They stood up briefly and Cro Cop threw a couple of his signature kicks, but Overeem caught one and took Cro Cop to the ground again.

But Overeem repeatedly landed knees to Cro Cop's groin in the clinch, and Cro Cop couldn't go on.

"I'm sorry this great fight had to end like this, in this way," Overeem said afterward. "It was a mistake. ... I wanted to finish Cro Cop with a KO or submission in a fair way."

Fedor Emelianenko was in attendance, and there was talk during the broadcast that Fedor could fight the winner

Fedor Vs Cro Cop?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:

Cro Cop was getting beat hard before the fight ended. I'm not quite sure what Overeem was thinking; he had this one wrapped up easily if he'd have just fought under control instead of going all crazy. I think Cro Cop is done.

The Fedor fight thing is kind of odd, because I thought he was supposed to fight on the New Years show for Affliction, and the fight that article talks about (possible Cro Cop/Fedor) is like .. 2 days earlier or something? The dates/times aren't possible.

I'll watch the EliteXC show just for Arlovski, but I'm not really interested in any of the other fights. Maybe Gina -- she's good eye candy
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject:

^^Yea, agree... Cro Cop looked bad (for Cro Cop). Overeem was talking mad ish after the fight, basically saying Cro Cop did't want to fight, that he could of came back, that he was faking it. He said he wants a rematch so he can finish the job by knocking Cro Cop out.

As for Fedor:

Quote:
Fedor Emelianenko attended today's Dream.6 event in Japan and addressed the crowd during the intermission, and he suggested that he'll be back in Japan to fight on New Year's Eve for the sixth straight year.

That would be terrible news for Affliction, which has said it will have Fedor -- who is widely regarded as the best heavyweight in mixed martial arts -- in its January show in Southern California.

It should be noted that Fedor was speaking in Russian, it was translated to the crowd into Japanese, and I'm basing this post on the words of the HDNet translator who translated from Japanese into English. So it's possible something got lost here. But all indications were that as Fedor finished talking to the crowd, the fans were under the impression that they'll be seeing him on New Year's Eve.

It's not clear who Fedor's opponent would be. The best fight would be Fedor vs. the winner of the Dream.6 heavyweight clash between Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Alistair Overeem. But Fedor doesn't always fight the toughest competition, and at one point Fedor mentioned the name of Japanese judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishii, who called Fedor out after winning the gold medal in Beijing. To the Japanese fans, Fedor vs. Ishii would probably be a bigger fight than Fedor vs. Cro Cop or Overeem.

Article

Stay tuned....
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:

That's the article I was thinking of. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Fedor.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

Dream 6???
What???
When was that on???
and how come no one mentioned before?
i didnt hear of it!
Someone dropped the ball!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:

^^ [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_(Mixed_Martial_Arts)]DREAM[/url] is an MMA outfit from Japan... most of their fights are shown on HDNet (Cuban's channel; I think Cuban bought or is buying the IFL).

DREAM 6 was last week. Hightlights were shown on HDNet's Inside MMA and the event was shown on HDNet on Saturday evening.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Saw DREAM 6 also. Mousasi looks to have a pretty good fighting career ahead of him. Crocop still doesn't look lilke the same fighter of old with or without the cage, I hope he heals alright, "testicle is inside??" ouch!!!

I'd like to see an Overeem vs Fedor fight.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject:

REASONS TO WATCH MMA

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
REASONS TO WATCH MMA

Haha, I don't disagree!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has officially announced a return to Ireland on Jan 17, but this time they will be traveling to Dublin for the first time. Former middleweight champion, Rich "Ace" Franklin stays put at 205 pounds to face Dan Henderson in a tough light heavyweight showdown as the main event.

Also on the card will be former top light heavyweight stand-out, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua moving up to heavyweight for the night to get a rematch with Mark "The Hammer" Coleman, who defeated Rua while the two were in Pride a few years ago.

Story
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:

Definitely rooting for Ace...
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject:

anybody see Ultimate Fighter yesterday...
Doesnt it seem like Junie Browning is going to be the next Jesse Taylor... its always the good fighters! just cant control themselves!

I wonder if he's Filipino at all... his hat was handwritten and said "Mahal Kita Love Lola" which means "I Love You Love Grandma"...

and the Bador/Lawlor fight was good also!!!

Also, did anyone see Tapout (both shows are on at 7pm... thank God for the DVR)
but the guy featured was Mike Campbell and Im sure hes going to be in the UFC very soon! the guy looks ready! super strong and superfast!

Last edited by Free_Kobe on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:

I was watching baseball all last night so I didn't watch TUF, but I tivo'd it and will watch it tonight. Was it pretty good?
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
anybody see Ultimate Fighter yesterday...
Doesnt it seem like Junie Browning is going to be the next Jesse Taylor... its always the good fighters! just cant control themselves!

I wonder if he's Filipino at all... his hat was handwritten and said "Mahal Kita Love Lola" which means "I Love You Love Grandma"...

Junie was wearing fellow TUF lightweight competitor Phillipe Nover's hat in that footage from the show. Nover is Filipino and Polish according to his bio.

Junie has been a douchebag so far, and from the scenes of upcoming episodes, that isn't changing. He seems like a pretty good fighter though. I wonder if he gets kicked off the show.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:

*HEADS UP*
TONIGHT!
HDNet Fights - Strikeforce Payback - LIVE
7:00pm pt / 10:00pm et

Frank Trigg is fighting!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 4 of 499
Jump to: