Why do some words not work in the seach filter?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Why do some words not work in the seach filter?

If I use words like "luke" or "west" I will get an immediate spike in data transmission activity and a reply within seconds.

If I use words like "odom" or "kobe" I will get no data transmission activity at all and no reply. I can wait for 5 or more minutes but nothing is transmitted back.

I also found that narrowing the seach down by adding other words along with the two above didn't help at all. As long as either of those two words were included the search criteria the search would give no reply and no data transmission activity at all as opposed to other words single or in combination that seemed to work just fine. I don't know if there are other words that do not work either, I only tried those two.

At first I thought it was a combination of words and author but I found that this happens with no other filter than the word itself used only as the filter.

Any idea why some words WILL work every time and other words will NOT work every time?

Btw, I have used these two words that don't work now in the past without any problem at all.... this issue has only been a problem in the past few days for me.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Well, first things first, the search is a little wonky at the moment. That's probably part of the problem.

As for the reason why some words work and others don't, it probably has to do with the way that search is implemented in phpBB. Based on how frequently they occur, certain words are not searchable because they occur so often that searching for that word makes it not useful. The message board software keeps track of the number of occurrences of words and adds them to the "non search" list once they go past a certain threshold.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:

I've actually found taht just using Google to search site:Lakersground.net seems to produce very recent results very fast. Of course, the site isn't consistently crawled, but for some responses within the week or so, it's great.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: