The ads are hanging the site up

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: The ads are hanging the site up

This happened once before and it was fixed. Not sure how or what the problem exactly was but when I click on a page, it almost ALWAYS hangs on an ad script, sometimes forcing me to hit refresh and repost.

It's not this site, you can see it trying to load one of the ad links and they just stop.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject:

You noticed this too as far as needing to hit "refresh". This is not so much of a problem as it is as far as submitting posts....

This is why we are seeing more multiple posts (you might have noticed) because members are hitting the submit buttion multiple times when the page hangs.

Other web pages do not hang at all and when I monitor LG during the hang time it is either repeatedly retransmitting presumable due to errors or it just does absolutely nothing showing no activity at all. But if I have another web page open as well this page has no issues at all.

It has been better today than in the recent past however.

Of course this issue is no way near the problem I was experiencing with an ad a little over a month ago. LINK

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject:

This is slightly different then before. But I noticed the hitch when I made the change a couple days ago. I made a temporary change that should help for now.

Bummer, because it was helping decently, $$ wise. There's another option I think that I could try to get those ads back up there.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject:

A note on the ad hanging your page after a post: if it gets to the point where a new page is created and an ad hangs it, there's no need to re-post. The step of adding your post is done before a new page is generated.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
A note on the ad hanging your page after a post: if it gets to the point where a new page is created and an ad hangs it, there's no need to re-post. The step of adding your post is done before a new page is generated.

That's good to know but the problem is when the submit is clicked and if nothing happens the user has only a choice of either hitting the submit button again (if btw the new page gets to the point the button even shows up which I agree is not a good idea) or refreshing in order to get LG moving again.

What I mean by problem is that the refresh will also submit duplicate posts as well but what else can a user do to get LG moving again than to click on something and the refresh is about the only option other than clicking the submit button again.

I might add that sometimes there is just nothing on the page and the refresh is actually the only option (which as I say actually does the same thing as hitting the submit button again and posts duplicate pages which btw is the reason dups are showing up as you already know).

Fortunately the problem is not that prevalant and not something that impacts LG that significantly anyway thank goodness.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Having real difficulty with the ads again today, Long hangups and a couple times could NOT even get in. Everywhere else on the web is working fine!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:

The other two were easily explanable. The only thing I can think of that is new is the GameFly ad that is appearing. Not sure if you can tell what it might be hanging up on, but those types of ads haven't cause any problems in the past.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:

When I click on the GameFly ad nothing happens.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject:

Actually any ad right of the Barrys Ticket ad doesn't work.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject:

ad.yieldmanager.com

That is the link that is slowing this site down for me!!

I hit a thread link and it just stops and I see that the browser says it is trying to contact the above link!!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject:

What does a Ctrl-R do for you when that happens?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I think that's got to be a server issue. ad.yieldmanager.com is all over the place online and I don't think you ever notice any hitches on any other sites.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject:

Been seeing problems with the ads today. Myaffiliateprogram.com i believe is the offending one.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Been seeing problems with the ads today. Myaffiliateprogram.com i believe is the offending one.

Hmmm. Give me a little more detail. I haven't seen any problems since we've had the new server. Myaffiliateprogram.com isn't someone we are hooked up with that I know of.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:

Next time I experience that, I'll let you know. It's possible it's happening through a tribal fusion connected ad or something, which loads right before the myaffiliateprogram one. I'll get you more details next time.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject:

Some img links of what's happening

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1756/62825902kw9.jpg

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/4730/54792317he3.jpg

Let me know if you need more info. I can dig it up. Again, maybe it's just my machine, but considering it's a work machine that we utilize for all sorts of web programming, ad placement, etc, kind of surprising.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Thanks for the pics. That might be Barry's that's hanging you up. I haven't seen that happen to me. I'll have to think about that one for a bit if there's a way around that or not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: