Vista, XP, Zone Alarm and Microsoft July 8th upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Vista, XP, Zone Alarm and Microsoft July 8th upgrade

I just got back online after 24 hours of trying to figure out what went wrong with my modem. Turns out it wasn't the modem, but a conflict between Zone Alarm (the firewall I use) and the latest Microsoft update that plopped itself onto my pc and then told me repeadtedly to restart my computer to get it to work.
Now apparently if I had been using the new system Microsoft is trying to foist on everyone, Vista, there is no conflict between the update and Zone Alarm. But if you are running XP (like me) or (even more horrified to Microsoft) Windows 2000, then as soon as you reboot, you can't connect to the internet anymore, and the only explanations you get are that a) a cable is unplugged; or b) you need to turn off your modem for 3 minutes, or c) your dsl line is busy.
Anyway, I turned off the zone alarm long enough to get back to the zone alarm website and download a new version, and I'm back.
But I can't help think how curious it is that this conflict only occurs if you have not upgraded from XP to Vista.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject:

Thank you for posting this ... My Mom called me up yesterday asking for help saying she could not connect.

This is the 2nd time ZA has done this. She is also using XP.. hmm.. I do not remember when the first time was.. but I believe Vista was out at that time.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject:

I don't use Zone Alarm at all. My machine downloaded the software, rebooted my machine, and everything continued as before. This is on my XP box.

I also have a 2K box where I haven't installed the patch yet, but I was never a believer in Zone Alarm.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: