Smush vs top three drafted PG's (Old, updated with 4/2 stats)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Smush vs top three drafted PG's (Old, updated with 4/2 stats)

Update: stats through 4/2
Smush Parker
Stats: 11.5 ppg in 34.0 mpg, shooting 45.4%, 36.7% on 3's, 3.3 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.69 spg, 0.20 bpg, 1.85 TO, 2.01 A-to-TO

Deron Williams
Stats: 10.5 ppg in 28.1 mpg, shooting 41.5%, 40.5% on 3's, 2.4 rpg, 4.2 apg, 0.77 spg, 0.21 bpg, 1.90 TO, 2.21 A-to-TO

Chris Paul
Stats: 16.3 ppg in 36.3 mpg, shooting 43.0%, 29.0% on 3's, 5.2 rpg, 7.9 apg, 2.24 spg, 0.07 bpg, 2.37 TO, 3.32 A-to-TO

Raymond Felton
Stats: 11.3 ppg in 28.8 mpg, shooting 39.7%, 37.8% on 3's, 3.3 rpg, 5.0 apg, 1.22 spg, 0.11 bpg, 2.24 TO, 2.25 A-to-TO

Chris Paul is clearly much better than Smush, but Smush is holding his own statistically with the other two. Outstanding for a dirt cheap free agent
End of update

Original 12/8 post
Do you remember how Laker fans were hoping the Lakers could draft a PG? Instead, the 3 best PG's were snatched up #3 (Deron Williams), #4 (Chris Paul) and #5 (Raymond Felton). Here is how Smush is doing relative to the top 3 drafted PG's:
Smush Parker
Smush is 24 years old and plays on the 9-9 Lakers
Stats: 13.0 ppg in 33.2 mpg, shooting 48.1%, 41.8% on 3's, 3.7 rpg, 2.8 apg, 2.06 spg, 1.83 TO, 1.5 A-to-TO

Deron Williams
Williams is 21 years old and plays on the 8-11 Jazz
Stats: 12.3 ppg in 30.0 mpg, shooting 40.3%, 38.5% on 3's, 2.9 rpg, 4.6 apg, 0.79 spg, 2.32 TO, 2.0 A-to-TO

Chris Paul
Paul is 20 and plays for the 8-10 Hornets
Stats: 16.0 ppg in 36.4 mpg, shooting 42.5%, 24.5% on 3's, 5.8 rpg, 6.6 apg, 2.06 spg, 2.44 TO, 2.7 A-to-TO

Raymond Felton
Felton is 21 and plays for the 5-14 Bobcats
Stats: 6.6 ppg in 18.6 mpg, shooting 30.3%, 32.7% on 3's, 2.1 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.05 spg, 1.53 TO, 2.4 A-to-TO

Smush has the best shooting percentage and 3 pt shooting percentage and the worst apg and Assist-turnover ratio. Smush probably can't run a team as a true point guard, but he is a solid fit for the triangle.

Last edited by Dennis_D on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:

For what we are doing, he's fine. Williams and Paul would both be better in our system though, and Felton would be better in any system other than the Tri.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if the Jazz and Hawks are kicking themselves for passing over Paul right now. Especially the Jazz. Marvin Williams can still turn out to be a great player, but the Jazz badly needed some explosiveness, and Williams and explosive will never be said in the same sentence (unless it's the sentence that I just said).
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Good post Dennis, interesting to see those guys lined up like that.
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject:

big difference, all those players are on mediocre teams. they dont have kobe bryant and lamar odom running the offense and drawing the attention of the defense. reasons for smushes high 3pt%, almost all of his outside shots are WIDE OPEN, high fg%, all of his fg's are mostly dunks from him on the fastbreak or cutting to the basket.

im not saying smush sucks or anything, but he has a much better supporting cast that inflates his numbers.
dadadada
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:

We wanted these PGs for the future. And believe me, these three PGs are going to have better careers than Smush.
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

dadadada wrote:
We wanted these PGs for the future. And believe me, these three PGs are going to have better careers than Smush.

Chris Paul is shoing himself to be the next J Kidd. Give him a few years and he'll be putting up crazy numbers. I would have taken any of those kids over Parker. Smush is a great find, but any of those kids would be putting up better numbers in our systems and they all have potential like crazy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject:

The difference.

Paul, Felton, Williams create shots for teammates and shoot under duress.

Parker, mostly gets shot created for him by Odom and Bryant and is usually wide open.

Like a SG/Combo guard.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:

loseyourname wrote:
I wonder if the Jazz and Hawks are kicking themselves for passing over Paul right now. Especially the Jazz. Marvin Williams can still turn out to be a great player, but the Jazz badly needed some explosiveness, and Williams and explosive will never be said in the same sentence (unless it's the sentence that I just said).

The Jazz love Williams. He has been spectacular and clutch. Utah has been doing horrible since AK47 has been injured for most of the season and no Boozer too. The Jazz were also never really an explosive team...

Also Smush Parker isn't even a rookie... Even the lack of NBA playing time, he still experienced the real NBA stuff.

Last edited by tgf5 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Ank wrote:
dadadada wrote:

Chris Paul is shoing himself to be the next J Kidd. Give him a few years and he'll be putting up crazy numbers. I would have taken any of those kids over Parker. Smush is a great find, but any of those kids would be putting up better numbers in our systems and they all have potential like crazy.

Only an idiot would try to argue against that statement. All 3 of those young players have a much more promising career than Smush. But since they weren't available to the Lakers, I'll take Bynum with Smush and be happy about it. Smush is giving the Lakers better PG defense than they have had in quite awhile.
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject:

Smush is getting paid 700k this year, 740k next year????
I'd say e got a "steal" in Smush.
hitmankb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject:

Im the Idiot then, I think that smush will get better as he learns the tri! I think that hes all around the best PG that weve had in quite some time, and is the perfect compliment for Kobe and Lamar. He quick/long/young enough to keep up with PG's (for the most part). He plays D, and is crafty in the open court! He's not afraid to take the ball to the basket regardless of a big man being there and hes athleatic. I like what we have and I think we got hell of a bargin. I say sign him, if we dont someone will!!!
AllorNothing on Ron Artest
Quote:
He should be let go of his contract by the Kings to pursue a topnotch psychiatrist in LA.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject:

JimmyPage wrote:
For what we are doing, he's fine. Williams and Paul would both be better in our system though, and Felton would be better in any system other than the Tri.

Don't think Paul and Williams would be better with the tri. Paul is a beter player, but he likes to create for others and is not a great shooter. He's not a better defender than Smush. He's smaller. If Smush is playing so well, it's because he's just the perfect fit for this team. A 6'4 combo PG/SG who can shoot and defend. I'd like him to focuse more on defense, but i think he's done a pretty good job.....
I'm not sure that Phil could use Paul or Williams at what they are good for....
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject:

skumbag wrote:
Smush is getting paid 700k this year, 740k next year????
I'd say e got a "steal" in Smush.

The exact numbers are: $719,373 for this season, and the Lakers hold a team option for next season for $771,331.

And, when it comes to the 07 cap space plan, because Smush is an early Bird free agent, his cap hit before he re-signs will only be 130%...so about $1 million. Very cheap cap hit, meaning we could keep him and then re-sign him for more after we max out our dollars under the cap.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject:

Biggest difference is that Smush can't create for teammates and doesn't have good court vision, very average for a PG (he's really an undersized shooting guard). This was already said, but I feel it needed reiterating.

But yeah, I agree, Lakers get tremendous band for their buck with Smush's pickup. Additionally, the Lakers will win 50+ games this year if they're healthy. FYI.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject:

loseyourname wrote:

I wonder if they are kicking themselves for passing over Smush in favor of Paul amd Williams!
WutupLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject:

Yea, how about that point guard huh? Thanks alot Mitch. We could have scored Bynum AND Jarret Jack. Jack offers the same things that Felton, Paul, and Deron bring to the table. IF we were able to strike a good enough deal, we may been able to get one of those three as well. I mean having Smush is nice, but woulldnt it be even nicer if we coudl have Smush AND either of Felton/Deron/Paul/JAck or maybe even Watson/Dixon and co.? The whole point about this is that, this was the summer to strike gold with our PG....long term. We didn't do that and that will screw us in the long run. We have no depth at PG, if Smush gets injured who will start at PG? Sasha, Wafer.....Laron Profit?
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject:

Are we still numb, or has the cold water hit us in the face yet?

Remember: Last season our point guards were Chucky and Tierre!!!!

CHUCK and TIERRE!! I still can't believe it.

With that in mind, I'd say finding Smush was way more than we could've anticipated. I'll take Smush's defense--with his albatross arms--over any of those `05 picks.

Bibby and Parker (Tony) et al., would eat up those rooks (well, at least Williams). Smush has held them in check.

Defense from that position is what we needed. We got it. Finally!!!
Fourplay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ank wrote:
dadadada wrote:

Only an idiot would try to argue against that statement. All 3 of those young players have a much more promising career than Smush. But since they weren't available to the Lakers, I'll take Bynum with Smush and be happy about it. Smush is giving the Lakers better PG defense than they have had in quite awhile.

Here's an idiot. Those scrubs you mentioned can't hold Smush's jock strap. The only idiots are the ones here that don't realize what kind of gift this guy is. This guy must be leading the team in dunks OVER people and he's our damn point guard. You guys should be grateful instead looking at the grass on the other side b/c I guarantee you it isn't greener. :roll:
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:

WutupLA wrote:
Yea, how about that point guard huh? Thanks alot Mitch. We could have scored Bynum AND Jarret Jack. Jack offers the same things that Felton, Paul, and Deron bring to the table. IF we were able to strike a good enough deal, we may been able to get one of those three as well. I mean having Smush is nice, but woulldnt it be even nicer if we coudl have Smush AND either of Felton/Deron/Paul/JAck or maybe even Watson/Dixon and co.? The whole point about this is that, this was the summer to strike gold with our PG....long term. We didn't do that and that will screw us in the long run. We have no depth at PG, if Smush gets injured who will start at PG? Sasha, Wafer.....Laron Profit?

Remind me again exactly how you are absolutely sure that Mitch could have scored Jarret Jack. Which fictional trade are you sure that Mitch passed up?

--Anonymous
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject:

WutupLA wrote:

For the Lakers, one of the more important skills of their PG's is 3 pt shooting, in order to create space for Bryant and Odom to operate. Currently, Jack is 2 for 21 (9.5%) from 3pt land. Now, Jack isn't getting the open looks with the woeful Trailblazers that Smush is getting, but 9.5%? Williams, Paul and Felton are all shooting far better from distance than Jack is.

But looking at your rant, it's not clear that facts actually come in to play when you make your points.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
JimmyPage wrote:

Don't think Paul and Williams would be better with the tri. Paul is a beter player, but he likes to create for others and is not a great shooter. He's not a better defender than Smush. He's smaller. If Smush is playing so well, it's because he's just the perfect fit for this team. A 6'4 combo PG/SG who can shoot and defend. I'd like him to focuse more on defense, but i think he's done a pretty good job.....
I'm not sure that Phil could use Paul or Williams at what they are good for....

Oh hell yes, I'm in the "idiots club" as well! Smush just learning the tri this quickly, being able to function, and be productive to any degree automatically gains points. His ability to move without the ball coupled with his instincts to hole are acceptional... You guys have no idea what Smush could do on a real point because he doesn't play that role.

We are talking about a NYC playground "Goat" This kid has to tone his game down to assimilate into the NBA. The others may be more polished but, don't fool yourself on potential. Smush has more, lots more... stay tuned...
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject:

No doubt Parker is better than anyone expected. Kudos to Mitch for this move.

However, if the Lakers traded up in the draft to get one of the three top Point Guards (Paul, Williams or Felton), Laker fans need to consider it like this.

Who is going to be better for the Lakers?

Paul, Williams or Felton
or
Andrew Bynum, Smush Parker and ? (the player or draft pick used to move up in the draft)

Based on what the Lakers would have lost to get one of these top three gaurds, it's too early to tell if the Lakers made the right move. However, in my opinion, it appears the Lakers made the right move.

Paul is going to be a stud in this league for a long time. It all depends on how Bynum's career turns out.
jaydanasira
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject:

any one who plays with a player like kobe,t mac, and shaq will do better because of the double teams. that is as long as they pass the ball thats why I didn't say AI
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
WutupLA wrote:

Remind me again exactly how you are absolutely sure that Mitch could have scored Jarret Jack. Which fictional trade are you sure that Mitch passed up?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: