"Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewit8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: "Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

After reading about people just ripping apart everyone on this team (except Kobe), I decided to help bring other Laker fans back to reality by dispelling the myths surrounding this team.

Lamar Odom sucks, is overrated, etc.-- That is far from the truth. Odom just does not fit the triangle. His jumper is not consistent enough, and he makes too many mistakes. But that doesn't mean he sucks. Put him on Dallas and he'd put up a triple-double almost every night.

Kobe is the only good player on this team-- If that were the case, why do so many teams want George, Cook, Bynum, etc. These players could all be good pros, but Kobe refuses to trust them. They lose their confidence and get frsutrated. And they all hate his guts. Phil doesn't help by yanking someone as soon as they screw up. That's why most of them hate him too.

Our bigs couldn't guard Kevin McHale... at age 50-- While it's true they're not Bill Russell, the real defensive problem lies on the perimeter. We were torched by Gary Payton, Juan Dixon and Steve Blake, and Eddie House. Smuch plays matador defense, Kobe overextends, and the bech is slow. Our bigs pick up fouls trying to help out or take a charge.

We'd be better off starting Bynum-- No way! Mihm is a quality center who actually seams to be starting to fit in with the triangle. Starting Bynum would only hurt his confidence with Phil yelling at him all the time. Plus, he's not that good. Yet.

If Phill didn't have a job in the NBA, Walton wouldn't either-- Wrong. Yes, I don't think Luke is good. But after seeing who Charlotte trotted out last night, I know one team he could play for.

Kobe is the MVP of the league-- Please! He might be the best player in the league. But he is a terrible team leader and does not make any of his teammates better. Yes, we win because of him, but you can say that about a lot of stars.

We got took in the Kwame Brown trade-- On paper, yes. But he's still young and brings a wide body. And he fits the triangle a little better than Butler. Butler is better, but probably not for our offense.

Cook is the biggest 2-guard in the league-- Yes, he shoots a lot of jumpers and has some rebounding trouble. But he just does what Phil wants. Cook started two games as a rookie and got double figures in boards both games. And last year he hit 25 and 12 against the Bucks. He just does what he's asked to do. And whether you like it or not, we were better off when he started and Brown came off the bench.

We should have traded for Artest-- Yes, he's a great defender. But offensively, he's a shorter, less-rebounding Odom. And his ego may be bigger than Kobe's.

This year's team is better than last year's-- Record-wise, yes. But it ends there. I enjoyed watching last year's frantic pace and 3-point shooting. It felt like we could win every game, and I didn't feel like Kobe tried to do everything. This year's team beats NY by 40, then loses back to back games to teams that lost 6 and 13 games in a row.
dadamookie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

dewit8 wrote:
Odom just does not fit the triangle. His jumper is not consistent enough, and he makes too many mistakes.

Sounds like a good enough reason to trade him...

dewit8 wrote:
We should have traded for Artest-- Yes, he's a great defender.

...and that sounds like a good enough reason to trade for him.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
why do so many teams want George, Cook, Bynum, etc.

Who are these teams?
qreus-76
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:

The biggest myth is that someone could actually MAKE someone else better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

Very interesting strategy, dispel myths by creating new myths ...

dewit8 wrote:

why do so many teams want George, Cook,

Got any recent references on who wants George or Cook?

Quote:

<snip> Kobe refuses to trust them. </snip>
And they all hate his guts. Phil doesn't help by yanking someone as soon as they screw up. That's why most of them hate him too.

Is that how you saw the CHA game, Kobe not trusing his teammates?
Any sources showing which teammates "hate Kobe's guts"?
Any sources showing players hate Jackson?

And this with reference to Mihm ...
Quote:

... with Phil yelling at him all the time.

Really? Based on your viewing the games on TV? Or do you have some inside information that makes this more than a myth?

On Kobe ...
Quote:

But he is a terrible team leader and does not make any of his teammates better.

You're entitled to your opinion. And that is all this is, your opinion.

Of Artest ...
Quote:

But offensively, he's a shorter, less-rebounding Odom.

And you dont think Artest has a better mid-range game than Odom?

Quote:
This year's team is better than last year's-- Record-wise, yes. But it ends there.

Stats that show marked improvement in all defensive categories dont matter much to you, I gather?
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

Artest has a horrible mid-range game. Stats don't lie. He has more impact but his Offense is terrible. People on LG overrate Artests skill set on the Offensive end.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

I agree with most of what you said but like qreis -76 said the myth is that someone will make someone else better. These guys had ample opportunities to score on wide open shots..they couldn't do it. The fact that Kobe hasn't really ripped them in the media shows how good of a leader he is. I also haven't heard about him complaining to the front office about how he needs better talent around him ala Snaq.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

dewit8 wrote:
After reading about people just ripping apart everyone on this team (except Kobe), I decided to help bring other Laker fans back to reality by dispelling the myths surrounding this team.

Lamar Odom sucks, is overrated, etc.-- That is far from the truth. Odom just does not fit the triangle. His jumper is not consistent enough, and he makes too many mistakes. But that doesn't mean he sucks. Put him on Dallas and he'd put up a triple-double almost every night.

Kobe is the only good player on this team-- If that were the case, why do so many teams want George, Cook, Bynum, etc. These players could all be good pros, but Kobe refuses to trust them. They lose their confidence and get frsutrated. And they all hate his guts. Phil doesn't help by yanking someone as soon as they screw up. That's why most of them hate him too.

Our bigs couldn't guard Kevin McHale... at age 50-- While it's true they're not Bill Russell, the real defensive problem lies on the perimeter. We were torched by Gary Payton, Juan Dixon and Steve Blake, and Eddie House. Smuch plays matador defense, Kobe overextends, and the bech is slow. Our bigs pick up fouls trying to help out or take a charge.

We'd be better off starting Bynum-- No way! Mihm is a quality center who actually seams to be starting to fit in with the triangle. Starting Bynum would only hurt his confidence with Phil yelling at him all the time. Plus, he's not that good. Yet.

If Phill didn't have a job in the NBA, Walton wouldn't either-- Wrong. Yes, I don't think Luke is good. But after seeing who Charlotte trotted out last night, I know one team he could play for.

Kobe is the MVP of the league-- Please! He might be the best player in the league. But he is a terrible team leader and does not make any of his teammates better. Yes, we win because of him, but you can say that about a lot of stars.

We got took in the Kwame Brown trade-- On paper, yes. But he's still young and brings a wide body. And he fits the triangle a little better than Butler. Butler is better, but probably not for our offense.

Cook is the biggest 2-guard in the league-- Yes, he shoots a lot of jumpers and has some rebounding trouble. But he just does what Phil wants. Cook started two games as a rookie and got double figures in boards both games. And last year he hit 25 and 12 against the Bucks. He just does what he's asked to do. And whether you like it or not, we were better off when he started and Brown came off the bench.

We should have traded for Artest-- Yes, he's a great defender. But offensively, he's a shorter, less-rebounding Odom. And his ego may be bigger than Kobe's.

This year's team is better than last year's-- Record-wise, yes. But it ends there. I enjoyed watching last year's frantic pace and 3-point shooting. It felt like we could win every game, and I didn't feel like Kobe tried to do everything. This year's team beats NY by 40, then loses back to back games to teams that lost 6 and 13 games in a row.

Opinions, masked as fact. Whatever, dude. You can think what you want, but lose the attitude. Don't come in here spewing the same crap that has been rehashed over and over on our board, and then act like it's original, and that you have all the answers everybody else doesn't.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: problem is not offense

I see our biggest problem as defense. Artest is much better on defense than Lamar. Smush and Sasha are lousy defenders. We are still getting killed by the likes of Bibby and T-Hud. Luke can not guard anyone with any footspeed as evidenced by the Kenny Thomas matchup. Cook is not a bad defender, but hardly a defensive presence. Mihm and Kobe are our best defenders and that's not enough to go far into the playoffs. Get some more athleticism and desire on this team please.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: "Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

dewit8 wrote:

You are delusional...

It is a nice place, this world you live in...invite us there to tea once and awhile, won't you?
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
Artest has a horrible mid-range game. Stats don't lie. He has more impact but his Offense is terrible. People on LG overrate Artests skill set on the Offensive end.

What's frightening is people think that it is EASY to get a 2nd option WITHOUT giving up LO...

Let's see:

Kobe makes 16 million...

LO makes 11.5 million...

YEAH!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!!!

Let's go out and get ANOTHER player who is BETTER than LO and OBVIOUSLY makes MORE than LO for CRAP as trade bait from a team who just HAPPENS to not want him and who just HAPPENS to want CRAP?????

Yeah...that makes sense!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

of course he doesnt suck, but he's just not good enough and he hast to be traded for the better of the team.
jim155
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

cr8zy0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

the thing is, yes kobe is surrounded w/ crap, we all know that. to a degree though he has to learn to hit players where they can score. and don't say there is no way they can score. he needs to get on them about cutting when he is doubled. only pass to players like cook, smush, sasha on the perimter. get other players to cut. kobe has to help build confidence in his teamates as hard as that might be, because until he does, we will suck. sure his teamates are below average, however he has to help them find a rhythm because kobe can't lead us to the playoffs by himself and kupchack is a dumbass. kobe has to realize that he needs his (bleep) teamates to start producing and do more then just hit them for shots. he has to tell them to do things to get easier shots and not trail at the 3pt line if they can't make that shot. he has to get on odom about playing w/ passion and feeling the game out to know when to attack and how to pace urself. he can't just hope they figure it out themselves.
Waterboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Here are some myths:

Lamar Odom is worth every penny on his paycheck.
Lamar Odom is consistent.
Lamar Odom has the best basketball IQ on the Lakers.
Lamar Odom still hasn't reached his full potential.
Lamar Odom has a right hand.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

Quote:

Lamar Odom fails to be aggressive and is inconsistent. Boards and assists, consistent. Scoring? No. If he doesn't fit on this team then he doesn't suck, he just doesn't belong here.

Quote:

Refuses to trust them? Hello I believe you haven't seen Charlotte game last night where Kobe passed and George, Cook, and Luke failed to draw rim several times and clanked the rest.

Quote:

We all know Smush is terrible, only thing he is good for is steals. Unfortunately he only gets about 2 steals per game while the opposing PG scores 15-20 easily.

Quote:

We'd be better of starting Bynum at C, take him out after 5-7 minutes, and put him back in for a few minutes of the second. Mihm goes at PF and Brown comes off the bench.

Quote:

I know, Luke is terrible. I feel bad for him though, He does work hard, and does work on his jumpshot all summer for the last two. Unfortunately he just isn't getting into the rhythm of the game.

Quote:

He is. You want to give me a better person? Billups? Nash? Guess who Billups has on his team. Hamilton has an unstoppable midrange shot. Wallacex2 amazing interior defense. All first (or second?) NBA defense Prince, Sheed one of the better big man shooters, McDyess, Arroyo, etc. Nash has guys who can actually hit OPEN jumpshots and Boris Diaw is overlooked. Diaw is as good if not better a playmaker than Odom. And Marion? One of the biggest underrated players in the NBA. Amazing defender and rebounder. Eddie House is an incredible shooter and 6th man for the Suns.

Quote:

Butler has barely played in Phil's triangle to know much about it. But it was a trade that had to be done because there was no way we could pay for Butler.

Quote:

And also USELESS when he doesn't have his shot. Like last night.

Quote:

A coin toss Artest is.

Quote:

The pleasure of the young team that lacks a secondary scoring option.
dadamookie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:

Its not like any team would ever ask Artest to come off screens and hit midrange jumpers off the catch.

Artest is a match up nightmare on offense. He's bigger than all the guards but faster than all the forwards.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lamar Odom sucks!" and other myths about the Lakers

dewit8 wrote:

This is funny. So hes not really good is what this says, yet if you put him on a team that is virtually stacked he would excel? OK. 12 mil a year you would hope he could offer more than RB's. You're right he would do well on the MAVS, SPURS, PISTS,SUNS,HEAT Great post
lakerzpimp08
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

the fact is tha lamar does suck. 12 million a year for what? nothing? for games of 4 out of 12 shooting? the sad part is that we probably cant even trade him. he has no real value. no one is gonna take him with his huge contract. were basiclly just stuck with him unless he fails a drug test which i pray he does just to clear cap space so we can sign a REAL player

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate!"

I'm the man with no name... Zapp Brannigan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: