Odom in the post, Cook on the perimeter

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Odom in the post, Cook on the perimeter

That's what our strategy should be at times.

After Lamar brings the ball up, he should head for the post and demand the ball there.
Cook's j is money...

So, they should switch positions often..

Do you all agree?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject:

I agree that they should be on the floor together more often. Don't mean to switch gears, but at least you are using a strength of Odom's...matchup problems. He is one of the few SF's and only SF the Lakers have that can move over defensively and guard some better than average PFs. That takes pressure off of Cook.

As for the offense, Phil wants Odom to start the play, and he is a large target on the perimeter that a less than average passer (Brown? Mihm) can kick it back out to and salvage the play, or take his man off the dribble. The problem is, you loose that strength by Odom not using it. Same goes for the 3 ball, if Odom worked on that more he'd be a very good offensive guy.

I agree that Odom is one of the better post players on the team. I also like how you're looking for a way for Odom to take his game farther. I don't know basketball enough to tell you how to fix this, but if I had to guess...it's the answer nobody wants to hear. Odom should stay in the same position he is in now. The change he needs to make is being more agressive. We've talked about it enough, but he needs to step up and finally be the #2 scorer everyone wants. Between him not being agressive, Walton not hitting a jumper, Mihm fouling out (getting better) and Kwame bricking layups.....I think they need a shrink more than just Zen.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:

OMG 62! For once you are making sense. Cook brings nothing to the post but has shown that he could potentially be a threat from outside. Odom on the other hand has an extremely erratic outside shot and would most likely be more productive in the post. He would still be able to play to his strenghts as a facilitator as well. I also think this would help out Kwame by essentially putting him into a sixth man role. I think his biggest problem is mental and quite often taking the pressure of being a starter off of a player allows them to find their skills.

I'm really growing weary of people looking for players on other teams that will make an immediate impact for us this season. Face it, there's no one available that is going to do that. We need to find creative ways for this team to win with the players on hand.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:

Odom in the post? That makes too much sense and it would make things too easy for Odom. Phil wants to force Odom (square peg) into his (triangle) offense.

If Odom moves into the post so Cook (& Kobe) can play around the 3-pt line, it'll be the move that makes this team a real playoff contender.
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:

I agree 100 percent. I have been saying this for months.

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

the key is do not post up Kwame. Make him your Ben wallace type. He is not going to be a post player,. He will simply do the dirty work. Defense and rebound. It would be up to kwame to buy in to he is not a great offensive player. Just concentrate on defense. Lamar would be the primayer post player. Even if he isnt scoring,Let Lamar be a passer out the post. He will find Cook, Kobe,Smush for open shots.

Lamar makes teams double him.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

the key is do not post up Kwame. Make him your Ben wallace type. He is not going to be a post player,. He will simply do the dirty work. Defense and rebound. It would be up to kwame to buy in to he is not a great offensive player. Just concentrate on defense. Lamar would be the primayer post player. Even if he isnt scoring,Let Lamar be a passer out the post. He will find Cook, Kobe,Smush for open shots.

Why would anyone double Lamar in the post?
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

That's what a lot of people have been saying. Right now LO is standing around behind the arc as a jump shooter, which he is not very good at. LO is most effective around the basket cause his J is suspec. The best offensive scheme is to run pick and roll between Kobe and Cook, or dump it to LO in the post.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

They dont watch games, thats why stuff like tis is suggested.
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

Bottom line is Lamar is a better post player then Cook or Kwame,so you post up who is the better post player.

Lamar's passing skills out the post,makes him the better guy for the post. He is able to find guys cutting to the basket. Cook and kobe for outside shots.

2003/2004 18 points 9 rebounds with Miami heat. Primarily out the post.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

I was thinking about the same thing.Let Kwame and Cook start and let Chris come of the bench.Chris is better than Kwame but who would hold the others teams best big man if Chris and Cookie are strating together.Chris is not fast or athletic enough and we all know about Cookies d.I would just tell Kwame to focus on d and let his offinsive game come to him
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

This is a mentality, not a right. We all look at Kwame and see Ben in him, however BEN is an animal. Something that isnt taught, coached etc. You are a beast or you are not. Can he be? He already should be
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

Dallas' commentators were saying this.

That Cook is really more of a "3" than 4. And that Odom is best in the post drawing doubles and kicking the ball out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

This is a mentality, not a right. We all look at Kwame and see Ben in him, however BEN is an animal. Something that isnt taught, coached etc. You are a beast or you are not. Can he be? He already should be

Good point. There are just some nights like against the rockets when Kwame's defense is just amazing. If only he did that every night. Hopefully phil can bring that out of him on a consistent basis.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

I suggested that a while back and I was terribly bashed, everyone said Cook couldnt defend PF's and that... now with everyone on cook's bandwagon apparently his D isnt crappy...
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't it take up a lot of the shot clock to have the guy who brings the ball up also be the main post presence on offense? Typically the post player runs down and immediately starts trying to establish position while the guy who's bringing the ball up is the last one down the court.

I think both Odom and Kobe should be posting a lot more, doing a rather typical guard-like quick post in the high post of passing the ball out and quickly turning their back to the basket and asking for it back. Odom really needs to try to develp a post-position fallaway like Kevin Garnett has. Odom should play differently depending on who is guarding him. If they put a bigger player on him, he should play facing the basket further away. If they put a smaller player on him then the Lakers need to recognize that and have Smush and Kobe take over more of the role of bringing the ball up and facilitating and try to exploit Odom's mismatch in the post with Kwame or Mihm on the weakside to clean up misses or to get a pass if Odom gets doubled in the post. Then you can have Smush, Kobe and Cook on the perimeter waiting for a kick out.

Cook is a liability on defense because he is too big to guard quicker small forwards and he is too light to guard bigger forwards in the post. He needs to work on his smarts and hands because that is what allowed Robert Horry to not be exploited on D for having the exact same problem. Cook also should work on being more of a help or team defender than a man D guy, cause his size and relative quickness for someone that tall could help with a quick double team or interrupting passing lanes, stuff like that.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Cook's outside shooting has to draw a big man away from the basket. Lamar should have opportunities in the post.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:
B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

I like B-scott's idea. But I see no reason why teams would double Lamar in the post. I was just asking why he put that. In fact, I agree with the rest of his post. Either contribute to the discussion, or stfu.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
bounty wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:
B-Scott wrote:

C Kwame
PF Cook
SF Lamar
G Kobe
G Smush

I like B-scott's idea. But I see no reason why teams would double Lamar in the post. I was just asking why he put that. In fact, I agree with the rest of his post. Either contribute to the discussion, or stfu.

Lovely day in LA Like I said. Not watching games, results in suggestions like this. What?
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Odom in the post, Cook on the perimeter

62 wrote:

After Lamar brings the ball up, he should head for the post and demand the ball there.
Cook's j is money...

Do you all agree?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:

just when has lamar demonstrated that he is good in the post? i must admit i didn't watch him much in miami or with the clippers...did he play in the post with them?
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Odom in the post? That makes too much sense and it would make things too easy for Odom. Phil wants to force Odom (square peg) into his (triangle) offense.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Odom in the post, Cook on the perimeter

62 wrote:

Cook's j is money...

Do you all agree?

1.) Cook should still come off the bench (defensive liability).

2.) While Cook's in the game, I do agree (with emphasis on "at times)"

That setup brings out Cook's man on defense, which gives Odom an even
easier chance to score in the post - so yep, it's good hoops sense IMO.

Even when we post-up Kobe, Cook's ability to draw out his cover to the
perimeter serves us in a similar way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: