Mayweather on Lin: "All the hype is because he's Asian"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
superboy wrote:
Well said. I think at this point we're all getting worked up in a fried chicken/watermelon type of scenario.

Fixed

Fixed
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
C M B wrote:
superboy wrote:
Well said. I think at this point we're all getting worked up in a 6 day work week under the age of 14 scenario

Fixed

Fixed

Fixed

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
superboy wrote:
Well said. I think at this point we're all getting worked up in a fried chicken/watermelon type of scenario.

Fixed

Fixed
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
C M B wrote:
superboy wrote:
Well said. I think at this point we're all getting spun around a lazy susan in a fried duck/water chestnut type of scenario.

Fixed

Fixed

Fixed

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
postandpivot
Maybe what you say is true, I won't affirm or deny. What does that have to do with my and others contention that Lin is being hyped primarily because he's balling?

You say it's mainly because he's Asian. A member of the Asian community refutes that contention. I, and others, join with him, not you in that stance.

You're playing the race card. I, and others, disagree. We say it's because he's balling. Does his being of the Asian persuasion have any thing to do with the hype, YES, as much as you contend, IMO, NO.?
dont use the words "you're playing the race card" in this topic. you're using it out of context.

i'll ask these simple questions again. answer them honestly. and remember i used to play with a TON of asian ballers, where i always wondered why i never saw any in the nba or balling like crazy in college. it never made sense to me. because i knew how good these guys were. i'm looking at some brothas that were athletic or some not so much running point. and i'm thinking your handle is decent but thats about it. your jumper is suspect ,and your court vision is suspect. on the flipside these same asian guys i grew up playing against and with. were crazy quick, had more then enough athleticism to hang wtih the brothas out there. so thats no excuse. and they had better court vision, a better jumper, and their handle was CRAZY. i would go as far to say if you pulled 10 ballers from each race(white, black, and asian). the asian guys would by far be the better dribblers. even assumign all 3 race of guys were pg's. so again why dont you see them? its not because of their production. its because they are ASIAN.

they are ASIAN meaning their parents a lot of times are not supporting their hoop dreams like a black kid or white kids family might. some of these foreign white guys are being put into sports schools for this very reason. so they are like american ballers but worse.

so thats strike one. a lack parental support in the ASIAN community in a lot of cases.

because of this you dont see many of them going out for the teams. the few you see. are so few, when they try out. they get that "white man cant jump" look. "whats this little asian guy doing out here." coach looks right over him and picks someone else thats not even as good.

blacks need affirmative action in the business world in america because of racism. but best believe if there was an affirmative action for basketball. Asians need it the most. they get looked over from your local outside courts to highschool teams, college, and the nba. all because they are ASIANS by site and people ASSUME. they cant be that good because you just dont see a lot of them playing at a high level.

whites started basketball in america. we've seen enough whites celebrated at all levels of hoop. we've seen blacks celebrated at every level even down to street ball.
speaking of streetball. you know that And1 mixtape ball player professor. the white guy. the one and only white guy to ever get on a street ball team in recent memory. that guy is good. i know him personally. hes very good. great humble guy to boot.
but why did he really make the AND 1 team? was it because he was the only short guy with dribbles and hoop skills? HECK NO. it was because he had skills and the fact he was WHITE playing streetball . so it added the extra HYPE needed to push him thru. its the exact same way lin is being treated right now.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
I agree. His race is part of the reason why he's an underdog and I do think some people are discounting that.
thats all i'm saying. if the kid was black with that skill on the court. he would've been picked up by a good college not named harvard. probably would've been a UCLA sophmore come out into the draft guy. and the nba would've drafted him. he being asian puts him in the Underdog category. its the real reason why he was overlooked. so now its the real reason why he's being so hyped. not over hyped. because the boy is balllin. aint no ifs ands or buts about it. he is running thru the league right now.

if he keeps this up. he could go down in history as one of the best point guards of all time. No i'm not joking. sure its the offense. but so what. nash has 2 mvps because of that offense.

if he can keep his stamina up and melo doesnt kill it. lol. dont do it melo. no telling. and yes if he keeps winning games for these knicks. they will have no choice but to talk about him the same breath as CP3, kobe, LBJ, dwade, and say "is lin a MVP candidate" who else is more valuable to their team and the nba as a whole the this kid at this moment? NO ONE.

he just saved D'an's job, the knicks season, and gave the nba a ratings boost they never saw coming. he just made every gm, and every college look at every asian baller that has any skill. this one guy did all of that in a matter of a few games.

so if he keeps this up. yes he is the M. V. P. i said it.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Just wanted to let you guys all know that I just got back from a Japanese steak house, so I think I can safely speak for all Asian's and say that if Lin was not Asian he would still be a remarkable story.

---George Carlin
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Just wanted to let you guys all know that I just got back from a Japanese steak house, so I think I can safely speak for all Asian's and say that if Lin was not Asian he would still be a remarkable story.

I think it's stupid that people latch onto prominent/successful figures the minute they see something that they think they have in common with that person. Like how Filipino Pacquiao fans say "I'm so proud to be Filipino!"

A lot of my Asian friends are pumping this guy up. I would understand if this was the 50s and it was a Jackie Robinson type-situation, in which there was hardship and prevalent discrimination throughout the country. But c'mon. Japanese people and Cambodians alike are celebrating this guy like he's their F'ing Rocky Balboa. First of all, Asia is a huge continent that contains a myriad of cultures and ethnicity. If an Indian guy named Rajit Singh had a similar NBA breakout, "Asians" wouldn't be latching onto him like they are with Jeremy--Indians are classified as Asians.

So, really, don't try latch onto anyone that's successful and say "Hey, look! He's like me!" No. He's not.

thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Most of the hype surrounding Lin comes from the fact that he's pretty damn good. There was very little hype when Yuta Tabuse became the first Asian guard to play in the NBA, because he sucked.
i went to the summer league to see the guy play. just because he was ASIAN. not because he was good. i didnt even know how good he was. i wanted to see an ASIAN guy make it. and beat all the odds. and i'm black like big mouth mayweather.
so sorry, ASIAN came first.

Asian came first for you, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. And we all know you're a special case.
yep, i'm so special. that most of the asian people i know and hung out with at the time wanted to see him play for the same reason "lets see if this Asian guy can play". not "lets see if this guy can play."

no everyone didnt care about him. but those that did, first cared because the guy was asian. anyone saying that wasnt the case isnt being honest. and is probably trying to be PC.

I am about to give you credits until you bring in the boring cliche', "I have known millions of asian people, so what I say will represent what asian people feel or think."

Why don't you make it simple by saying that is your own opinion?

You want to play that game. I can do it too.

I have known and hung out with millions of Black and White people, so I can speak for other races that, even if Lin is not Asian, the dude can totally play basketball.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:

I think it's stupid that people latch onto prominent/successful figures the minute they see something that they think they have in common with that person. Like how Filipino Pacquiao fans say "I'm so proud to be Filipino!"

A lot of my Asian friends are pumping this guy up. I would understand if this was the 50s and it was a Jackie Robinson type-situation, in which there was hardship and prevalent discrimination throughout the country. But c'mon. Japanese people and Cambodians alike are celebrating this guy like he's their F'ing Rocky Balboa. First of all, Asia is a huge continent that contains a myriad of cultures and ethnicity. If an Indian guy named Rajit Singh had a similar NBA breakout, "Asians" wouldn't be latching onto him like they are with Jeremy--Indians are classified as Asians.

So, really, don't try latch onto anyone that's successful and say "Hey, look! He's like me!" No. He's not.

Me and Jordan?.. I like some Gatorade drinks
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Or, like how so many of my African-American friends are Obama fans and say "I'm so proud to be black!!"

Like you said, they shouldn't just latch onto someone successful, and say "Hey, look! He's like me!" No. He's not.

They should just realize they'll never become President just b/c one black man did.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject:

thurloly wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Most of the hype surrounding Lin comes from the fact that he's pretty damn good. There was very little hype when Yuta Tabuse became the first Asian guard to play in the NBA, because he sucked.
i went to the summer league to see the guy play. just because he was ASIAN. not because he was good. i didnt even know how good he was. i wanted to see an ASIAN guy make it. and beat all the odds. and i'm black like big mouth mayweather.

Asian came first for you, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. And we all know you're a special case.
yep, i'm so special. that most of the asian people i know and hung out with at the time wanted to see him play for the same reason "lets see if this Asian guy can play". not "lets see if this guy can play."

no everyone didnt care about him. but those that did, first cared because the guy was asian. anyone saying that wasnt the case isnt being honest. and is probably trying to be PC.

I am about to give you credits until you bring in the boring cliche', "I have known millions of asian people, so what I say will represent what asian people feel or think."

I have known and hung out with millions of Black and White people, so I can speak for other races that, even if Lin is not Asian, the dude can totally play basketball.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I can't bring myself to lock this thread. It is too entertaining...
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
C M B wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Or, like how so many of my African-American friends are Obama fans and say "I'm so proud to be black!!"

Like you said, they shouldn't just latch onto someone successful, and say "Hey, look! He's like me!" No. He's not.

They should just realize they'll never become President just b/c one black man did.

I have no idea why you guys quoted me and said what you did.

---George Carlin
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Well you know, ever since Lin was the antagonist in Lethal Weapon 4, these topics were bound to happen.

---George Carlin
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
24 wrote:

Well you know, ever since Lin was the antagonist in Lethal Weapon 4, these topics were bound to happen.

Personally, I liked him better in Rush Hour
TheLakerFeeling
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
KBH wrote:
I agree. His race is part of the reason why he's an underdog and I do think some people are discounting that.
thats all i'm saying. if the kid was black with that skill on the court. he would've been picked up by a good college not named harvard. probably would've been a UCLA sophmore come out into the draft guy. and the nba would've drafted him. he being asian puts him in the Underdog category. its the real reason why he was overlooked. so now its the real reason why he's being so hyped. not over hyped. because the boy is balllin. aint no ifs ands or buts about it. he is running thru the league right now.

if he keeps this up. he could go down in history as one of the best point guards of all time. No i'm not joking. sure its the offense. but so what. nash has 2 mvps because of that offense.

if he can keep his stamina up and melo doesnt kill it. lol. dont do it melo. no telling. and yes if he keeps winning games for these knicks. they will have no choice but to talk about him the same breath as CP3, kobe, LBJ, dwade, and say "is lin a MVP candidate" who else is more valuable to their team and the nba as a whole the this kid at this moment? NO ONE.

he just saved D'an's job, the knicks season, and gave the nba a ratings boost they never saw coming. he just made every gm, and every college look at every asian baller that has any skill. this one guy did all of that in a matter of a few games.

so if he keeps this up. yes he is the M. V. P. i said it.

+1
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
composite wrote:
C M B wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:

I have no idea why you guys quoted me and said what you did.

I didn't even know your quote was there. I was just responding to the other guy.
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject:

i have to admit...the fixed thing made me laugh.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject:

thurloly wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Dominator wrote:

wrong wrong wrong.

i didnt say i know millions. i've actually grown up with a ton of asian peopel. befriended them. koreans, chinese, filipinos etc. everyone who had something to say about lin that was an asian friend or co-worker or even aquaintance. all said he is getting this insane hype because he's asian. when they asked this similar question on 710 the other day, one of the 710 host said he believes 90% of the ridiculous out of this world hype is 90% because he's asian. all not some but every single call they took from different asians, some american born, some not. all types and they all agreed it was 90% because lin's asian. they all gave different but solid reasons why. now does that account for ALLL asians? NO. but hey all i can go by is what i'm seeing and hearing from the asian folk i see and hear. i cant go by people i dont see nor hear.

mayweather meant it as a slight. these asian folks and myself meant it as a reality. not a slight at all.

unlike some on this very board. I have actually grown up playing with and against a ton of asians. i have a good idea of how the asian baller thinks. in addition i have a good idea of how the asian american baller plays.

when i tell you guys these old hoop stories. i'm not making them up. i have played ball all my life. all up and around los angeles, down in GA for a while as well, upstate in palo alto. i played so much ball in so many places with so many people. i couldnt go anywhere without knowing someone. it was that bad. "hey whats up..." every single place i went. i could go to vegas. "heyyyy whats up, havent seen you in awhile. you still ballin?"

the fact i lived on the eastside of Los angeles, south central, but had folks in the south bay and played down there as well, then lived in the valley for years. i have probably played at darn near every court that meant something to anyone. atleast once. some i dont remember the names. cause i was young and just wanted to go for a ride with the older guys. so they let me roll and play with them. being in all these areas in los angeles you will end up playing every nationality you can think of.

i used to play in a league where two asian teams were FASA(Filipino American Student Association ), and the korean christian fellowship.

i went to a jr high school that was probably 30% asian. around the wilshire area. my older brother went to high school around that same area with darn near that same ratio of asians or more. we would go back up there to play there on the weekends if people were there. and they were there, it was black guys, a handful of white guys, and a ton of asians (all types).

i have a friend i met at work that had a younger brother that played pro ball in the philippines.

i'm not talking about one or two people i might know today. i'm talking throughout the years.

i've been the tall guy on the court so they automatically make me captain, then pick another tall guy on the court and make him captain to keep things fair. and there's one asian guy waiting to be picked. and i choose him. because i know that style of play even though i may not know him. if i saw him warming up with the same hesitation moves and wicked crossover. i'll wait to the last moment and pick the guy. cause i know no one else is paying attention to the little asian guy. people ASSUME "aww this asian guy cant hang". because they are not use to playing with or against them.
So i understand the ASIAN underdog stigma they have to deal with.

my old high school use to lose to the high school he upset for the state championship. i went to the same high school where some guys have gone to the nba. some guys i played with most that were a lot younger then i. that school was well known for ball players.

lets look at lins stats , his high school team lead by him went 32-1 one year and upset a known juggernaut school mater dei. a school known for illegaly recruiting kids and moving them and their parents near the school.

Quote:
In his senior year in 2005–2006, Lin captained Palo Alto High School to a 32–1 record and upset nationally ranked Mater Dei, 51–47, for the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Division II state title.[16][17] According to Dana O'Neil of ESPN, "Lin was the runaway choice for player of the year by virtually every California publication."[15] He was named first-team All-State and Northern California Division II Player of the Year, ending his senior year averaging 15.1 points, 7.1 assists, 6.2 rebounds and 5.0 steals.[16]

that guy is a pick pocket. look at those steals. you see him with the quick hands even today. still nice assist numbers. and boards for a pg. tells me he is a pg with hops or he's a tall guard that aint afraid to get in there and grab some boards , jkidd style.
all that talk about him back then. but no love for the asian kid.

No love from local colleges, standford nor cal. thats horrible. standford is right down the street virtually from where he was playing. someone could've walked in and saw him play a game or two and made a decision. why do that when he's just a measly asian kid.

Quote:
By his junior year during the 2008–09 season, he was the only NCAA Division I men's basketball player who ranked in the top ten in his conference for scoring (17.8), rebounding (5.5), assists (4.3), steals (2.4), blocked shots (0.6), field goal percentage (0.502), free throw percentage (0.744), and three-point shot percentage (0.400),[15] and was a consensus selection for All-Ivy League First Team. He had 27 points, 8 assists, and 6 rebounds in an 82–70 win over 17th-ranked Boston College, three days after the Eagles had knocked off No. 1 North Carolina.[16][27]

In his senior year (2009–10), Lin averaged 16.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.1 blocks, and was again a unanimous selection for All-Ivy League First Team. He was one of 30 midseason candidates for the John R. Wooden Award[28] and one of 11 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award.[29] He was also invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament.[30] Fran Fraschilla of ESPN picked Lin among the 12 most versatile players in college basketball.[27] He gained national attention for his performance against the 12th ranked Connecticut Huskies, against whom he scored a career-high tying 30 points and grabbed nine rebounds on the road.[31] After the game, Hall of Fame Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said of Lin: "I've seen a lot of teams come through here, and he could play for any of them. He's got great, great composure on the court. He knows how to play."[15]

For the season, Harvard set numerous program records including wins (21), non-conference wins (11), home wins (11) and road/neutral wins (10).[32] Lin finished his career as the first player in the history of the Ivy League to record at least 1,450 points (1,483), 450 rebounds (487), 400 assists (406) and 200 steals (225).[16] He graduated from Harvard in 2010 with a degree in economics and a 3.1 grade-point average.[33]

You do all of that for your school, for your league, shock boston college, put up the numbers vs uconn. that should tell people dont worry about my harvard stats. cause you already think my league is soft. if i can step my game up no matter who i play. who's to say i cant do it again in the nba? this guy is smart 4.2 gpa out of high school, 3.0+ gpa at a smarty pants college.

come on nba, someone had to know this guys statistics. i've seen enough busts to know. someone should've drafted this kid.

but noooo, why do that. he's just a asian kid. he cant play at this level.

if the guy was a black guy he woud've had a scholarship at minimum to UCLA. as if they didnt need help. lol.
if the guy was black he would've been drafted by someone at least in the 2nd round.

the reason he's such the underdog is because he is ASIAN. thats just the reality of it. its a shame. but its real.

again its not just MY opinion. its the opinion of every asian i know who had an opinion on this guy. its the opinion on every asian they allowed on the air with 710 the other day while i was listening. and the asian underdog baller has been the opinion of many asian ballers that i've grown up playing with and against.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
24 wrote:

I have to agree, Wesley Snipes was pretty funny in that movie too.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:

actually cmb you're wrong on this one. he is like them.

like i said above. there are a lot of asian guys who play basetball. who can REALLY play. especially run POINT for teams. short or tall or average height guys. these guys are not getting any love from colleges. zero. doesnt matter what they did in high school. the big name high schools dont have a lot of love for them either. purely based on the fact that they are asian. its not even a short guy thing. cause youv'e seen a many of short black guy balling it up for some big name high school.

so when a guy like this comes along. he is YOU. he's just like YOU, if you're that asian baller thats good but keeps being overlooked on the courts by your peers, by high school coaches, college recruiters and even pro ball clubs worldwide outside of asia.

This one guy just made everyone re-think their perception of the Asian ball player.

now as for pacman. pacman is basically the president in his home country. the guy is a peoples champ. you cant knock him nor his countrymen. shoot pacman makes me proud when he wins then i see him in the homeland helping out with real life affairs.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
24 wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
24 wrote:

I have to agree, Wesley Snipes was pretty funny in that movie too.

You racist! That was clearly Chris Rock!
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject:

PnP, you write to much. Where do you get these ideas?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: