Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gastr
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

If the league has any balls or sense of justice they'll rescind the flagrant on LO. The NBA must be the only sport that penalizes defensive effort.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

Not just Parker, but Ginobili too. It's too bad both of them fall like a sack of doorknobs if you breath on them.
expertla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Sister Golden Hair wrote:
osj wrote:
i'm sure you're not serious, but if we were EVER to try something like that and get away with it, other teams would do the same to Kobe every game, and we would be dead. wouldn't be worth the W if it took doing something like this to win.

I don't know if you've been watching games, but Kobe gets murdered and the refs turn the other way. But Kobe is a big guard, and he's more likely to posterize you if you get rough. But I've seen teams get inside Parker's head by punishing him for his forays inside.

The Lakers did it two years ago in the playoffs (after he waltzed through and around them for the first two games). The Lakers then gotr physical and realized he was the key to the SA attack. They put him on the ground a few times and, presto, no more waltzing into the lane .

It worked, and the Lakers won the series.

After awhile, you don't even have to lay a hand on him. He just won't go inside anymore.

SGH

Exactly.

Double Exactly!

If Parker throws his body into the lane, you have to put a body on him as well. If he can take it, more power to him. That's why I have great respect for AI. Dude has no fear dispite getting floored every game. If you simply let those guys waltz into the lane without paying a price, you deserve to loose.

You gotta lay the wood. PERIOD!
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject:

solution

Somebody send Karl Malone a sexy pic of Eva Longoria.....
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject:

It's not just Tony Parker that we should bump into it's everybody who comes down the lane. When Kobe hit Mike Miller the in the throat he sent a message, unfortanatly we don't have that mentality with our big men. Even though they have been playing well, the just need understand that on defense they need to be physical with anybody, and thats what we need an enforcer.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:

Aaaaaaaaahhhh but the best is yet to come. Suddenly we get the first feel of a playoff series playing the Spurs two games in a row with time between the games. The Lakers will make some adjustments for the next game and, hopefully it will be to reintroduce his old buddy Devean to him. The rotation in the series that embarrassed the Texans in the final episode of the "Bling Bling" deployed Devean George on "the french child" Everytime he came charging up the middle Devean did to. "Eva's boyfriend had 6'8 of leaping fury all over his ass, and Devean did a good job. while Devean slid the Lakers shift was perfectly timed clogging all the passing lanes causing Parker to either TO, or get stripped naked!

Once you break Parkers rhythym the Spurs are then reduced to only Duncan as a danger.

Jackson knew better than to put Smush on Parker, and sometimes I wonder why he thinks anybody is going to stop Parker one on one. The Lakers were made vulnerable everytime he came up the middle. I was surprised none of our guys fouled out. Parker's bold entries into the paint are the only reason they won as usual... Gino, and Finley just beat the (bleep) out of us from beyond the arc as Parker pulverized the middle...

At one point it would have been nice to put Drew in for short stretches for Cook. It would have altered Tony a little better so that our perimeter people could stay home a little more, and it woul'nt have been left soooooooo damned open!

Stop Parker=stop the Spurs...
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:

Two things I liked:
1. The way Odom fouled Parker. Perfectly clean hard foul and a (bleep) flagrant. I've been screaming about knocking Parker down since he was a rookie. It's effective almost every time.

2. The way the crowd reacted to the foul. It was like everyone in Staples was saying "Finally!"
Wannabeer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor

LaKeRsLiVe wrote:
I don't get it. How can a point guard in this league be shooting 55% from the field? 55%!?! In 2004, after the Lakers lost the first 2 games in the second round of the playoffs, the Lakers decided to change their strategy. Instead of letting Tony Parker drive in for lay-up after lay-up, they went for the ball, fouled him hard, and most importantly, made sure he wouldn't come back in the lane again. 4 games later, the Lakers were in the NBA Finals.

My question is why didn't they do this tonight? Or why didn't they come into tonight's game with this strategy? It took them 40+ minutes to finally foul Parker when he drove to the lane, and I couldn't tell you how glad I was to see it. And what happened? Parker missed both free throws. He's not as tough minded as many would think. Sure, he's learned to redeem himslef a lot better the last couple of years as seen through the two jump shots he nailed in the closing minutes. But I would much rather have him take those shots than driving for an uncontested layup. And you can bet he was shaken and would definitely think twice before driving again.

On another note, I think Kwame has proven he can man-up against TD. There's absolutely no need to double-team the guy. But then again, maybe that's just me.

O sure it worked. He missed both free throws, then precede to make his next 3 jumpers. Maybe if the Lakers had a f'n brain they would have tried your "game plan" in the first quarter, instead of waiting till the end of the fourth. Also, do you really think your the first to come up with this plan? Teams have been saying this about TP/Manu for years, lay them out on the court and make them pay.....well for some odd reason they continure to do the same thing over and over.....maybe we should just try getting a guard who can actually stay in front of his man for once. Game over.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:

I vividly remeber Shaq sending Parker to the floor a few times in 2004, and the results.

Totally agree. Go over and contest the shot hard the first couple of times Parker goes into the lane. Go for the ball, but know you're probably gonna get called for a foul and make it count. Preferably just when he starts to jump for the layup.

I've seen Parker fold because of this, and it is true that at least this season his penetration is what drives their offense most of the time.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

Magic - Billups bodies him up and Kobe started to do the same. I think Smush can also body him up.

But do you know the difference? Billups can body him up, give up penetration and watch as Parker tries to shoot over the Wallace's.

The Lakers? You pressure the point and stick with your man - it winds up with layups or easy points in the paint. Mihm+Cook is no interior defensive that can contain an elite team like the Spurs.

I am hoping that next season the Lakers play Bynum+Kwame more. I think while both are still raw, they can bring defensive assets that this team could really use against the elite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Magic - Billups bodies him up and Kobe started to do the same. I think Smush can also body him up.

But do you know the difference? Billups can body him up, give up penetration and watch as Parker tries to shoot over the Wallace's.

The Lakers? You pressure the point and stick with your man - it winds up with layups or easy points in the paint. Mihm+Cook is no interior defensive that can contain an elite team like the Spurs.

I am hoping that next season the Lakers play Bynum+Kwame more. I think while both are still raw, they can bring defensive assets that this team could really use against the elite.

Actually it was working. Mihm was blocking those easy layups.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

osj wrote:
i'm sure you're not serious, but if we were EVER to try something like that and get away with it, other teams would do the same to Kobe every game, and we would be dead. wouldn't be worth the W if it took doing something like this to win.

I don't know if you've been watching games, but Kobe gets murdered and the refs turn the other way. But Kobe is a big guard, and he's more likely to posterize you if you get rough. But I've seen teams get inside Parker's head by punishing him for his forays inside.

The Lakers did it two years ago in the playoffs (after he waltzed through and around them for the first two games). The Lakers then gotr physical and realized he was the key to the SA attack. They put him on the ground a few times and, presto, no more waltzing into the lane .

After awhile, you don't even have to lay a hand on him. He just won't go inside anymore.

SGH

I don't think a hard foul will stop the Spurs like it did two years ago. During that series we clogged the paint leaving their perimeter guys wide open. I don't think it will work with Finley out there jacking up three's.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
osj wrote:

SGH

I don't think a hard foul will stop the Spurs like it did two years ago. During that series we clogged the paint leaving their perimeter guys wide open. I don't think it will work with Finley out there jacking up three's.

It's doubtful Finley will be that lights out in many games. Yesterday, the guy was simply unstoppable.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Actually it was working. Mihm was blocking those easy layups.

Mihm had 2-3 nice plays, but for the most part he is not an intimidator. Opposing guards are not afraid of Mihm. That's just the reality of the situation.

So we have to compensate somehow and what the Lakers/Phil chose to do is collapse inside and allow them to shoot from the outside. It's about percentages. Ussually teams shoot 40% or less from outside. Well, the Spurs just shot magnificently. Props to their guys - Manu+Finley. Those 2 were the difference and not Parker+Duncan.

I can tolerate a loss like this. We made the role players of the Spurs beat us. And they did. Most nights, I don't think they would shoot that well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

Tony Parker is a little (bleep). Knocking him down is the way to get him out of the game. It's worked before and if you notice he missed the two free throws right after he got put on his tail.

I will never forget his comments about the playing in the past olympics with the terroist threat. When he was asked if he would go even with the terroist threat, he replied with his girly french accent, "I'm glad we didnt qualify". What a (bleep).

And they need to stop focusing on Eva Longoria; ok we got it, she her boyfriend is playing, lets focus on something else.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

Well next game the Spurs will be playing the second of a back to back so they shouldn't be as hot as they were at Staples.

But yeah knock his punk a$$ to the floor. That what the Pistons do.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
osj wrote:

SGH

Being physical with Parker and staying home on their snipers are not mutually exclusive.

SGH
LGD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor

Wannabeer wrote:
LaKeRsLiVe wrote:
I don't get it. How can a point guard in this league be shooting 55% from the field? 55%!?! In 2004, after the Lakers lost the first 2 games in the second round of the playoffs, the Lakers decided to change their strategy. Instead of letting Tony Parker drive in for lay-up after lay-up, they went for the ball, fouled him hard, and most importantly, made sure he wouldn't come back in the lane again. 4 games later, the Lakers were in the NBA Finals.

My question is why didn't they do this tonight? Or why didn't they come into tonight's game with this strategy? It took them 40+ minutes to finally foul Parker when he drove to the lane, and I couldn't tell you how glad I was to see it. And what happened? Parker missed both free throws. He's not as tough minded as many would think. Sure, he's learned to redeem himslef a lot better the last couple of years as seen through the two jump shots he nailed in the closing minutes. But I would much rather have him take those shots than driving for an uncontested layup. And you can bet he was shaken and would definitely think twice before driving again.

On another note, I think Kwame has proven he can man-up against TD. There's absolutely no need to double-team the guy. But then again, maybe that's just me.

O sure it worked. He missed both free throws, then precede to make his next 3 jumpers. Maybe if the Lakers had a f'n brain they would have tried your "game plan" in the first quarter, instead of waiting till the end of the fourth. Also, do you really think your the first to come up with this plan? Teams have been saying this about TP/Manu for years, lay them out on the court and make them pay.....well for some odd reason they continure to do the same thing over and over.....maybe we should just try getting a guard who can actually stay in front of his man for once. Game over.

Where did I say I was the first to come up with this plan? If you fully comprehended what I was saying, you would know that I stated the Lakers did this before. Hence, it's been done. My question is why didn't they try this "game plan" again?

I'm not saying injure the guy. I'm saying commit a hard, clean foul. It's times like this where you miss having a guy like Karl Malone or dare I say, Shaq. It takes the Spurs away from what they want to do and forces them to rely solely on Tim Duncan. And the reason the Spurs are successful is because TD has guys around him who complement him perfectly. But without those guys, they won't win.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

KB8@LG wrote:
solution

Somebody send Karl Malone a sexy pic of Eva Longoria.....

Karl be hunting mexican girls still 8)
LHQ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, guys. If it would be that easy to stop the Spurs, others teams would have already done it by now. As it stands now, even with the Spurs playing this bad, they are still better than 75% of the league.

I agree on Parker. Best way to stop Parker is to force him to take 3´s and bad jumpers.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to Beat the Spurs: Throw Parker on the Floor

Wannabeer wrote:
LaKeRsLiVe wrote:

I agree with the type of foul Lamar had has to come from one of our bigs much earlier in the game.

I respect Tony. I do not respect Manu. Tony attacks and attacks until he physically can't take the pounding. Manu whines and whines until the refs can't take the whining. Instead of giving the guy fouls, they should give him techs.

Lamar seems to have picked up the enforcer role. He got into a little heated battle with Baron Davis and Fish in GS and has really been hitting the boards relentlessly in the last 5-6 games. I think he is going back to the mindframe he had in Miami. He said he really enjoyed being the mean man on the block once Pat Riley taught him how. He seems to be getting a chip on his shoulder that is not very hard to knock off. We'll see if this progresses.

Kwame is doing a really good job on defense and Mihm is improving physically. He played hard against TD and was semi effective when the little guys came into the lane.

The team needs to learn how to properly close on outside shooters.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

vandido626 wrote:
Tony Parker is a little (bleep). Knocking him down is the way to get him out of the game. It's worked before and if you notice he missed the two free throws right after he got put on his tail.

I will never forget his comments about the playing in the past olympics with the terroist threat. When he was asked if he would go even with the terroist threat, he replied with his girly french accent, "I'm glad we didnt qualify". What a (bleep).

And they need to stop focusing on Eva Longoria; ok we got it, she her boyfriend is playing, lets focus on something else.

Signed. I know shes fine. But I only want to see her when...

http://viking.necrolounge.com/archives/gm_l1_evaL.jpg

NOT...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=08fbb022f28d4351a429b9be6dfdc306.spurs_lakers_basketball_las110&prov=ap

Damn whore.

kobenbynum wrote:
Well next game the Spurs will be playing the second of a back to back so they shouldn't be as hot as they were at Staples.

But yeah knock his punk a$$ to the floor. That what the Pistons do.

They shot 5 of 17 from the arc against the Clips tonight. Bunch of a$$es.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
vandido626 wrote:

Signed. I know shes fine. But I only want to see her when...

http://viking.necrolounge.com/archives/gm_l1_evaL.jpg

NOT...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=08fbb022f28d4351a429b9be6dfdc306.spurs_lakers_basketball_las110&prov=ap

Damn whore.

I agree completely and I've been thinking the same thing. Even a woman as fine as Eva can look like a complete waste of DNA when she's cheering for the Spurs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: