More MVP debating

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: More MVP debating

I have been thinking about the MVP debate alot lately and all the standard lines the media use to try and justify their vote.

"Does he make his teammates better?" - This is a heavily used criteria, but has no real definition or substance IMO. PG's look better if they have good shooters around them. The shooters hit there shots, the PG's assist numbers go up. Shooters can also look better if they have a good PG finding them for open looks. But, who is actually the one making the other better?

eg. Nash is a great PG. No one doubts that. But, why wasn't he ever an MVP candidate on the Mavs? Is it because he didn't have the quality shooters and finishers that he does on the Suns team? Or did he just all of a sudden start making his teammates better?

I think they should be asking "Who is making him better?" and trying to look at it from the other side... They should watch games with a different point of view when considering MVP votes and really think about this question.

eg. Who is making Kobe better? Is there anyone that makes him better? He was great when he played alongside Shaq and was winning championships. No one would give him the vote because "He had Shaq", now, he doesn't have Shaq, he doesn't even have another All-Star playing along side him. He is playing incredible basketball this season, better than any other season in his already great career, but, why doesn't he recieve the vote now?

In sumary, you can debate all you want about players making other player better, therefore making them more worthy of an MVP vote, but, think about who is making THAT player better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

When it comes to MVP voting they take into account rebounds and assist.
Which is something a lot of people here think isn't important. Most people here, and most fans in general just care about how often you can put a ball through a hoop.

So saying that it's a lot easier for a big to win it than a guard. Now I do believe Nash deserved it last year. He really helped those guys. But at the time last year people didn't realise how good those guys were around Nash, so they thought it was all Nash was their reason for success.

Now most of the NBA think out side of the KB the Lakers suck, so if the Lakers can make some noise this year then he will increase his chance as a guard to win the MVP, just as Nash did last year.

Now saying all of that, go look at AI's stats from 2000. How he won the MVP is anyones guess.
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't care and I am not being biased............KOBE
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

AI's MVP season stats

Code:
42.0-mins   .420-fg%   .320-3pt%   .814-ft%   3.8-reb   4.6-ast     2.51-stls   3.34-to's   31.1-pts

Kobe this year

Code:
41.1-mins   .444-fg%   .344-3pt%   .834-ft%   5.3-reb   4.7-ast   1.80-stls   3.14-to's   34.8-pts

Last edited by AussieLakerFan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Um ill say it again Nash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe in MVP voting. Kobe wont come close to winning give it up.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Aussie, nice sig
JimRaynor55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: More MVP debating

AussieLakerFan wrote:
I have been thinking about the MVP debate alot lately and all the standard lines the media use to try and justify their vote.

"Does he make his teammates better?" - This is a heavily used criteria, but has no real definition or substance IMO. PG's look better if they have good shooters around them. The shooters hit there shots, the PG's assist numbers go up. Shooters can also look better if they have a good PG finding them for open looks. But, who is actually the one making the other better?

eg. Nash is a great PG. No one doubts that. But, why wasn't he ever an MVP candidate on the Mavs? Is it because he didn't have the quality shooters and finishers that he does on the Suns team? Or did he just all of a sudden start making his teammates better?

I think they should be asking "Who is making him better?" and trying to look at it from the other side... They should watch games with a different point of view when considering MVP votes and really think about this question.

I completely agree. "Making his teammates better" is almost like a cliche buzz word now. Nobody even bothers to investigate who's actually making his teammates better, and a lot of times the players who supposedly don't do it are just the guys you dislike. It has been statistically shown that Kobe DOES make his teammates better, but he's still called a selfish ballhog.

Nash is overrated, because the way people act, it's like he's the ONLY reason the Suns are good. If you heard that a team had an athletic freak big man who could score about 25 ppg on Shaq-like FG%, and another athletic freak who could average 20/10, would you think that ANOTHER player on the same team was the clear cut MVP? Yet that's what people think Nash is.

I think the MVP is a stupid, worthless award anyway, because nobody even bothers to award it objectively. How can Nash be the most valuable, when he's not even considered a top 5 player? Would any GM in his right mind trade Kobe, Duncan or KG for him? How can a superstar player be an MVP candidate one season, and be completely out of the MVP race the next season just because his teammates are sucking, even if he's playing the same or even better? The fact of the matter is that the MVP award is really the bandwagon award, given out to the perceived best player on one of the teams with a top record. It's idiotic, but unfortunately people place a lot of value on it.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: More MVP debating

JimRaynor55 wrote:
The fact of the matter is that the MVP award is really the bandwagon award, given out to the perceived best player on one of the teams with a top record. It's idiotic, but unfortunately people place a lot of value on it.

It is an important award, however, I believe the incredibly biased media have made it what it is, which is much like what you described.

How do you fix it?

Take it away from the media? Or give them official guidelines?
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: More MVP debating

AussieLakerFan wrote:
JimRaynor55 wrote:
The fact of the matter is that the MVP award is really the bandwagon award, given out to the perceived best player on one of the teams with a top record. It's idiotic, but unfortunately people place a lot of value on it.

It is an important award, however, I believe the incredibly biased media have made it what it is, which is much like what you described.

How do you fix it?

How do you fix it?

Idea's???
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I still say the FIRST point of criteria should be this:

- Estimate how many wins the player's team would have with him, and
compare that to how many wins the player's team would have WITHOUT
him.

That's essentially why Nash is so universally praised. He came to the
Suns and made them great.

But with Kobe it's not as obvious, because he's been with the Lakers for
years.

Pretend the Lakers had no Kobe all of last season, then got him this
year.

That's how you should compare him to Nash, and other great players in
the MVP race.

Last year we had 34 wins. Without Kobe? Gimme your guesses!

Point is, had we ACTUALLY just gotten Kobe this year, our 45ish wins
this season would make him an INSTANT candidate.

But instead, writers are jaded towards his continuing presence with the
Lakers and don't think logically enough to avoid comparing it to the years
with Shaq in the middle.

I happen to think Nash deserves it.

But I think Kobe should be a close second.

A player whose presence gives his team 25-30 extra wins to squeak
them into the playoffs is more valuable than a player whose presence gets
his team 10-15 extra games to move up to a higher seed.

I agree team-success should matter, but more as a tie-breaker.

For instance, if you argued that Kobe and Nash both give their teams
an extra 25-30 wins with their presence (I happen to think that roughly),
then the tie-breaker becomes team-success... which is why I'm ok with
Nash winning it.

I'm just not ok with people acting like Kobe isn't even in the discussion,
or barely makes their top-5.

That's crap.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: More MVP debating

AussieLakerFan wrote:
AussieLakerFan wrote:
JimRaynor55 wrote:

How do you fix it?

How do you fix it?

Idea's???

Years ago the players voted on it.

Whenever you hear players this year asked who the MVP is, only two
names come up - Kobe and Nash.

I happen to agree with that sentiment - and wouldn't the players know
better than a bunch of desk-bound writers anyways???

To me, it should have never become media voting.

The players know who the best players are. Common sense.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

MVP of the NBA!!!!

Most Valuable Player of the NBA!!!!

Who is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER of the NBA!!!?

It says it right there

I dont know when these morons decided to give an award that is suppose to go to the best BASKETBALL PLAYER in the League, to a guy who they feel is deserving because its convienant. Like I said before, Barkley and Malone got MVPs in MJ's prime. That goes to show you that the MVP is horsebleep. MVP belongs to the BEST BB player in the NBA. Who is a better basketball player in the league this year?
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
MVP of the NBA!!!!

Most Valuable Player of the NBA!!!!

Who is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER of the NBA!!!?

It says it right there

I think that really does sum it up.

I mean, Steve Nash may well be "The Suns MVP" - but is he the "NBA's MVP"? - Same can be said of Kobe. But that is the question. It's not the most valuable player to a team, but to the League.

The best player in the League. it certainly needs to go back to player voting. The media is too biased and have changed the meaning of the award.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

somebody start a petition at petitiononline to stop the media from voting for the MVP. Lets give the power back to the players vote and maybe even the coaches/players/gms combined.

i bet if we spread the petition link to all the bb boards it would gain some strength cause its not only laker fans who are pissed about how the media votes for MVP. hey its a start. time for a change.

viva la resistance!
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Coaches, Players, GMs.

Can't vote for anyone on your own team/franchise.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:

Coaches, Players, GMs.

Sounds fair.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

AussieLakerFan wrote:
sodapoppenski wrote:

Coaches, Players, GMs.

Sounds fair.

first draft of petition. anybody please make revisions you see fit. it is a variation of bill pullmans speach in independance day

"Today members from Lakersground.net will join other members from basketball boards around the world, and will be launching the largest petition in the history of world to put the vote of the NBA's MVP back in the hands of the Players, the GM's and Coaches. MVP... that word should have a new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore... We will be united in our common interest to have the most deserving player be chosen as MVP of the league by people who actually know something about the game. We will no longer be oppressed by media haters and blind homers who have skewed the definition of what an MVP is. Should we win in our fight, the MVP will no longer be known as the award for a guy whose lucky enough to be on a good team and be surrounded by players who make him look good. The MVP will be exactly that... The Most Valuable Player in the NBA! The one player who is clearly the best and above and beyond all other players in the NBA on an individual level.

Give the Players, Coaches and GM's the MVP Vote and take the power away from the media who should never had the vote in the first place. It's time for a change."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: