Phil Jackson "in his own words"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
O'Doyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
O'doyle rules!

At first I didn't get it, then I see this:

sodapoppenski wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
O'doyle rules!

that sh*t was bananas.

B AN AN AS.

sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject:

O'Doyle wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
O'doyle rules!

At first I didn't get it, then I see this:

sodapoppenski wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
O'doyle rules!

that sh*t was bananas.

B AN AN AS.

Yeah I was waiting on who'd pick up on it or not... gotta watch out
for street-fruit O'Doyle
O'Doyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

*Raises Both hands in the air*

O'Doyle Rules!

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject:

Now when Stu/Jack says the Triangle looks more like a parallelagram, people will know what he is talking about?!?!

When/Once the players understand the varius options/benefits to address each scenarios, the team will have a great chance to score on each possession while maintaining good defensive balance on missed shots.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I'll try to upload the video today
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

BygDaddy wrote:
I'll try to upload the video today

Big thanks in advance if you're able to.

Out of the area here so couldn't get it...
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

It's misses the first 30 seconds but just a preamble by Phil
Damn when did YouSendIt lower its file size?

Last edited by BygDaddy on Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

tenguygrst wrote:
LakersSpirit wrote:
tenguygrst wrote:
LakersSpirit wrote:
Well, after see "In My Own Words" I can understand more of what the Lakers are trying to do... Smush did rush one shot, but Luke is keeping it together... Smush steals... Hmmm, the game sure looks different, the second time around...

wasnt thrilled with the game we played offensively tonite. cuts werent hard, spacing was often out of whack, and player movement was stale. our players just seem so much more lazy on sundays we rarely reversed the ball and didnt use both sides of the court effectively. surprisingly, we had to scrap and claw our way to our points tonite. and we stayed ahead because of our defense, which is almost shocking to say. good individual games by kobe and lamar masked a lazy, unorganized offensive effort. ps-glad some people can start upping their knowledge of our offense with the show because it gets frustrating when people who dont know much about it try to start trying to dissect our problems on the offensive end.

Yeah, I can see some of the things you talk about, at about 4:30 left in the first period... Stu even commented, that no one rotated to a spot, and Lamar had to find Luke, way over in 3 point land, with the clock winding down... Also, looks like we are sometimes focusing so much, on moving to the right spot, that there is not enough focus on finishing the shot. Looks like it's all coordination that has to be worked out.

great observation, really this offense is based hugely on timing with one another. everyone has to have essentially the same internal clock(so that passes arrive at the time someone else is cutting or so that a double screen is set exactly the time the pinchpost man receives the ball), that takes longer more than anything(terminology, fills, entries, etc). also, its so funny to see phil and tex out there using all their terminology, honestly they could describe things so much more simply, but its almost like they are using complicated terminology on purpose to confuse everyone. for example, phil used the words "two pass front", that essentially means reversing the ball from the wing to the top of the circle. or he also used the term "blind pig" which means top of the circle and weak side wing switch spots.

or he also used the term "blind pig" which means top of the circle and weak side wing switch spots.[/

uh what? Weak Side wing switch spots. isn't any better then bline pig. or see and eye rat. no difference to a non bball player(organized player/coach).

But it was funny listening to coaches talk about basketball at the highest level. making it sound like philosophy mixed with physics. "the moment of truth". what phil? LOL.

I wonder does anyone remember me posing a question about the triangle. and how i dared people who had the ability. to play nba live to try and run the triangle correctly? anyway, I told you it was complicated. and as soon as you think you have it, you realize you just missed something, which screws it all up. most normal basketball plays. are screen n rolls, screen and pop, slip screen and go. if the defense packs it in. screen and pop, and the pg kicks it to the corners or if he really knows where's his guys are going to be. back up to the edge of the 3 point line. nash does this, so does t.parker, because he knows the plays so well.

the shooters, just cut thru occasionally and curl back around and go back to their spots beyond the arc, for spacing purposes.

i did think of this after watching last night. Phoenix has a similar philosophy on offense. where its not one play designed to get lets say Raja bell the ball. the plays are setup to open the floor for proper spacing to create cutting lanes/driving lanes, and open 3's if a team collapses on the penetrator. but you never know exacty for sure who's going to do what. because its not a designed play for a designated person. its up to the guy with the ball to decide. thats why phoenix hired a team full of guards. nash super passer, whoever wants to play SG is a decent passer(anyone can penetrate and dish), diaw a very good passer, marion a decent passer because he's been in the system for so long.

so you have no less then a 3 guard lineup at all times, more like 4 guards with no bigs for phoenix. the 4 gaurd lineup only works against impatient teams. which are most teams. this is the same thing at any level of basketball. the all guard lineup will always give a normal team setup, a problem. because its guys that are quick that can get a step or two on a atleast 2 guys on your team. so you have to try and recover. because no one wants to wactch a layup drill. and this scramble that happens when someone moves to late, and defense breaks down is what makes phoenix/3 guard front work. Be patient, and pay attention. stop chasing everything. go out and close out on the 3, but close out while running in the passing lanes. you know how good of a pass has to be made to not hit you in the hands or the body if you play it like that?

But its something to think about. Why is phils/tex's triangle better then D'antoni's dribble kick and cut concept? 1 reason, fatigue. phoenix has an offense thats so predicated on using a lot of energy constantly moving, constantly rushing the whole, constantly passing. that you will end up to tired to play defense. thats why they dont. they cant do both correctly. if they try both, the offense will suffer severely. thats why the tri is better. the manner in which you move. you can still conserve enough energy to play 2way hoops. check it out, if you dont believe me.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

here's the video: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=23XUXIIJ
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Byg, tks. Where do I click to download?
waiipor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:

tw-lakbfan wrote:
Byg, tks. Where do I click to download?

wait for the "delay". and then click on the x to close the advertisement box. and there goes ur button to dl
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

bump for those who wanted the video
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Awesome. I was looking for this today, but got into a heated all day long debate over the merits of trading Odom, Mihm, Smush, and a #1 for KG.

Thanks!!
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
assassin08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, Been eager to see it ever since I heard about it.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Merci beaucoup!!!
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Good video. Now that I've watched it, especially that "tutorial" by Phil at the end on how to tell if the team is running the tri well, it's a lot more fun to watch the game. I try to predict where the ball is going to go based on watching the offense in motion.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Aryx
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/triangle.asp

That URL explains the triangle offense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: