Smush and his theivery on Nash 2nd game of the season...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeshowhorizon.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Smush and his theivery on Nash 2nd game of the season...

Remember that game? I was watching that a few nites ago and witnessed again how Smush was picking Nash left and right for a stretch there? And early in the season when he was doing a pretty good job on the 1's. Andre Miller couldn't do squat the nite before. He's far from matador. ANd on that Suns nite,it seemed so easy picking Nash too...I've never seen any guard do that to Nash what Smush did that nite. I know he hasn't been the best defensive presence as of late, and perhaps for awhile, but imo, it's not because he doesn't have the ability. He played with enthusiasm on D early on but damn, he lost that edge. We need that Smush on D in the early part of the season. Smush, come baaaaack...Where the hell have ya been?...Come baaaack down to Earth on D...I know you can do it.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Smush and his theivery on Nash 2nd game of the season...

lakeshowhorizon. wrote:
Remember that game? I was watching that a few nites ago and witnessed again how Smush was picking Nash left and right for a stretch there? And early in the season when he was doing a pretty good job on the 1's. Andre Miller couldn't do squat the nite before. He's far from matador. ANd on that Suns nite,it seemed so easy picking Nash too...I've never seen any guard do that to Nash what Smush did that nite. I know he hasn't been the best defensive presence as of late, and perhaps for awhile, but imo, it's not because he doesn't have the ability. He played with enthusiasm on D early on but damn, he lost that edge. We need that Smush on D in the early part of the season. Smush, come baaaaack...Where the hell have ya been?...Come baaaack down to Earth on D...I know you can do it.

he didn't lose the edge folks. check the stats. he had a couple more 3+ steals games. the guy isn't sitting in the passing lanes like A.I. and other guards. getting his steals. the guy is picking peoples pockets. thats a lot harder to do. The reason he can't shut people down or slow them. is because after he ripped up nash like a piece of paper. Nash and everyone else realized. Pick the guy to death. even during that game. nash still had 10+ assist i think. because they went to a strict diet of the Pick N Roll/pick n pop. you can't guard elite guards while being picked off. with these new Dont Touch on the perimeter rules. you just cant.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Smush has some quick hands and knows how to make a steal, that's for sure. The problem is, he doesn't always know when to lay off and just guard his man and prevent him from gaining penetration. When he goes for the steal and misses, opposing PG's blow right by him. I'd rather see him get less steals and prevent his man from torching us a little more often.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Smush has some quick hands and knows how to make a steal, that's for sure. The problem is, he doesn't always know when to lay off and just guard his man and prevent him from gaining penetration. When he goes for the steal and misses, opposing PG's blow right by him. I'd rather see him get less steals and prevent his man from torching us a little more often.
Yeah, and it's not like he has to become DPOY all of a sudden, just keep your position, and SLOW Nash down, 3 out of 4 times! Is that asking too much?
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

THIS IS WHY HE GETS INTO TROUBLE.

instead of trying to pick his pocket he should stop being lazy and tery to keep nash in front of him. when he goes fo steals he will either get left, or get a stupid foul.

just play hard defense for 24 seconds. sasha has the same problem with reaching in.
lakeshowhorizon.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Nice post pivot...Yah he has been being picked off exactly, and it is tough to guard the elites like that no doubt--yup it's tough, you cant. Glad you mentioned it.

It's just that as the season went on I've also seen him not staying in front of his man like he has early on when not being picked. I know for a fact early on he was staying infront of his man pretty well. I felt that he either hit his own rookie wall, lost that edge, or it got too his head...

Interesting to note that his D kind of reminds me of Teyshawn Prince in which they seem like they are just strolling along defensively, chillin it, yet still effective.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

True, Smush does gamble a little too much on the defensive end for my taste but then again so does Kobe.

If he would just grow a mohawk are problems would be solved!
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

smush got steal happy.

if he moves his feet and plays smart D he would be a much better player @ that end of the court.

steals will come are the right times.... he needs to stop penetration.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: