Odom shapes up on the triangle (Article)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Odom shapes up on the triangle (Article)

Odom Shapes Up on Triangle
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
April 19, 2006

As first impressions go, Lamar Odom's was incomplete and unfulfilling, tumultuous and a tease.

The Laker forward had every intention of starting out the right way in Coach Phil Jackson's complex triangle offense, but it didn't quite happen that way.

He lined up on the wrong side of the court in a last-second loss to Washington and incurred the wrath of Kobe Bryant. He was called for a late charge in Sacramento when he should have held the ball and milked the clock, a four-point Laker lead eventually becoming a loss.

He would have games to remember — a near-triple-double against Phoenix, with 23 points, 16 rebounds and eight assists — but also ones to forget, including consecutive December games against Houston and Dallas in which he totaled only 10 points.

It was a difficult start for Odom, 28, but the last seven games have been his best stretch of basketball as a Laker. He has averaged 17.4 points, 10.4 rebounds and 6.1 assists this month and shown definitive signs of grasping the triangle.

"I think it's really complicated, especially if you're used to playing one way for so long," Odom said. "Some guys don't need the ball, but you're just used to having the ball in your hands, and I was one of them. It took me some time to learn how to cut, pass the ball, make a strong cut to free somebody else up or to get yourself a layup. I've gotten a lot better at that.

"It takes time too to also have confidence in teammates to run it. It took Kobe some time for him to have confidence in us that we would run the right play or know what we were doing out there."

Jackson, who remained patient with Odom throughout the forgettable times, has noticed the improvement. The second impression has been much more palatable than the first.

"He's much more comfortable in the game," Jackson said. "His presence and the joy he has just playing ball is infectious to this team. It's great to have him playing to where he feels at ease and comfortable with the game."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Lakers hemmed in by the salary cap, Jackson predicted few moves of consequence during the off-season because "a lot of our players are young and they're going to be here with us regardless next year."

"We don't have a lot of changeover planned for this next season, so we hope that we grow through this year into the next. If one can feed into the other, that's what we're hoping to do."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson, on whether he considered this season successful: "Yes. It's met the expectation that I've had, so that's a success."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/n...ba-lakerss
Quote:

Last edited by Car54 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

odom has really come a long way and is playing great basketball right now,and i have full confidence he'll continue his fine play in the playoffs.props to LO
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

LO is playing like the LO all the haters said he could be. Now, with a full offseason to train and get better (remember he was out all last offseason beacause of his shoulder), he should be even better next year.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:

A few Odom fans said in the darkest "Odumb" times that all he needed was time to work out the offense, now we are seeing the proof. Props to those guys who always believed in Lamar, he is rewarding your loyalty.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe's toughness is rubbing off on LO & Kwame. These guys feel they can do anything with # 8 on the floor. Thats why he's your 2006 MVP!
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Odom isn't 28.

I'm excited for this year's playoffs, provided LA wins tonight (I would be less excited about an almost certain first round exit at the hands of the Spurs), and I'm excited for next year, even if the Lakers don't really shake things up too much and stand pat for the most part with the guys they have. The Lakers have a good young team with guys who seem to be gelling and learning their roles. They should only get better with another year of playing together.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: