Couple Notes On The Heat - Piston Series...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Couple Notes On The Heat - Piston Series...

1) Congratulations to the Heat on making it to the Finals. They stand a very good chance to win it all.

2) For those who thought that Shaq couldn't return to a championship level of play (such as myself), we were wrong. I personally have a ton of crow to eat from a buddy of mine who's a Kobe-hater. My phone is ringing off the hook right now and I know that it's him because of the caller ID. I'll "man up" tomorrow and return his call.

3) Although it's hard not to argue that the Piston's implosion over the last two series isn't a ringing indictment on Flip Saunders, I find it more than interesting that Detroit looked an awful lot like the Detroit we all know and remember (i.e. the team that can't score to save their lives).

4) Congratulations to Pat Riley. He got the Heat focused and ready to play. I can't say that Stan Van Gundy would have been able to do the same thing.

5) More compliments for Riley...His blowing up the team and restructuring it debunks the myth that championship-caliber squads have to "gel" together over time to become cohesive. Riley knew that last year's Heat squad wasn't championship mettle. He knew that he had a limited window of opportunity and did what he knew needed to be done. I hope Kupchak was taking notes.

6) There's no way around it. Watching Shaq in the Championship series will make Dr. Jerry Buss look like the fool as the Lakers are not close to being a contender and are still in salary cap purgatory. No way this is gonna sit well with him - or his best player. Major changes will be forth-coming.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I have to disagree with you on #6. Dr. Buss sees the Eastern Conference. That place is wide open, and this is the 2nd consecutive year that Miami has had a magic carpet ride to the ECF. The conference is terrible. I didn't think it could be any worse than last year. Guess what?? It got worse. 4 of the 8 teams flirted with making the post season with LOSING RECORDS. They knew, just like most of us should have known, that Shaq would have at least one good look at making it back to the finals. The question becomes, does Shaq have that same great look staying out West?? I don't think so.

So no, Dr. Buss doesn't look like a fool. That's how many may interpret it, but that doesn't make it so. He did what had to be done at the time because Shaq was done giving his all to this team.
OnTheMove
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

They can say what they want about the trade, it was a smart BUSINESS decision that should be made 10/10 times. Shaq has a couple of games in him but hes not the Los Angeles Shaq that we got to enjoy only difference is that Shaq chose to defer to Wade and wouldnt fantom it for Kobe. So whatever...good luck to them and props to Riley for executing his vision when everyone thought he was out of his mind.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:

If Shaq stayed, he wouldn't have taken a pay cut, he wouldn't have lost weight, he would have requested more krispy kreme doughnuts during practices.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

And i think thats whats the frustrating thing. He got in shape for the Heat, but wouldnt do it here.

When he's motivated, hes still, even at 34, the best player in the league and still unguardable.

Typical Shaquille, coast during the regular season and show up when it matters.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
I have to disagree with you on #6. Dr. Buss sees the Eastern Conference. That place is wide open, and this is the 2nd consecutive year that Miami has had a magic carpet ride to the ECF. The conference is terrible. I didn't think it could be any worse than last year. Guess what?? It got worse. 4 of the 8 teams flirted with making the post season with LOSING RECORDS. They knew, just like most of us should have known, that Shaq would have at least one good look at making it back to the finals. The question becomes, does Shaq have that same great look staying out West?? I don't think so.

So no, Dr. Buss doesn't look like a fool. That's how many may interpret it, but that doesn't make it so. He did what had to be done at the time because Shaq was done giving his all to this team.

I think that that's a copout. The Heat have absolutely no control over any other team. All they can do is play their opponent. Fact of the matter is...they're playing well right now.

As for the better conference...

I think it's clear that the West is just as "up for grabs" as the East is. For God's sake...the Amare-less Phoenix Suns are in the conference finals. And it ain't like they're embarassing themselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
And i think thats whats the frustrating thing. He got in shape for the Heat, but wouldnt do it here.

When he's motivated, hes still, even at 34, the best player in the league and still unguardable.

You can coast when you play in wacked conference. The Heat won 7 fewer games this year. Didn't matter because everyone else sucked too except for Clev and Detroit.

You can't do that out west though. You try to coast in this conference during the regular season, you'll end up a 5th or 6 seed facing the road in the first round.
WindConga
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

You can coast when you play in wacked conference. The Heat won 7 fewer games this year. Didn't matter because everyone else sucked too except for Clev and Detroit.

You can't do that out west though. You try to coast in this conference during the regular season, you'll end up a 5th or 6 seed facing the road in the first round.

Log off, fam. The Heat is in the Finals and there's nothing you can do about it.

28/16/5
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

I think that that's a copout. The Heat have absolutely no control over any other team. All they can do is play their opponent. Fact of the matter is...they're playing well right now.

As for the better conference...

I think it's clear that the West is just as "up for grabs" as the East is. For God's sake...the Amare-less Phoenix Suns are in the conference finals. And it ain't like they're embarassing themselves.

You can call it a cop out all you want, but the truth is the truth. Put Dallas in the Eastern Conference. How about Phx. Hell, even the Queens with Ron Artest would've won 55 games.

The West may be just as 'up for grabs,' but the quality of play and the quality of teams is deeper and more competitive. That's a fact.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject:

FuQ u Snaq
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

F Riley
F SNaqeer
F Miami
F Wade.....

there that just about covers it.

Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the mistake. I would still trade him even if Miami manages to win the championship. Fact is Miami is taking full advantage of having Wade still on his rookie contract. We wasn't that lucky and it hurt us when it came to signing roleplayers while keeping the teams salary at a below Knick'ish amount. You also cannot ignore the fact that Shaq DEMANDED a trade because Buss wasn't going to pay him 30 million a year.

The only mistake is getting the package in return that we got.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:
F Riley
F SNaqeer
F Miami
F Wade.....

What about Payton, Mourning, and Walker oh and Posey too..
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Sonicc64 wrote:
F Riley
F SNaqeer
F Miami
F Wade.....

What about Payton, Mourning, and Walker oh and Posey too..

well, if they win it all, they are proof that YOU can buy a champioship.

Last edited by Sonicc64 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

playing on the road really doesnt matter in the playoffs. how many games have we seen this playoffs where the road team has won? Yes the Eastern Conference is weak, but the Heat did go through the "League's" best team (according to regular season), and beat them at home, which is what they had to do.

Props to Miami, well deserved. J Will was huge tonight.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I do like Jason Williams. I feel he's gotten a bad rap his entire career. To bad Shaq plays on the same team.
lkrfn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

WindConga wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Log off, fam. The Heat is in the Finals and there's nothing you can do about it.

28/16/5

Wow, you're still here? :roll:
A Shaqfan posing as a Lakers fan... you've played this act here for so long... I'm amazed that you're not banned yet.
viper2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject:

Detroit wouldve gotten spanked by the Mavs, Spurs, Suns, and maybe the Queens or Clips.

Enigmatic offense. They looked absolutely horrible this series. And whats up with Rasheed ??!!! Dude had no game to back up any of the sh*t he barked. He should be the first Piston shown the door. Outside of Prince and Rip, that squad brought no game. They are done. 1 hit wonders and in obvious decline. 1st a suprise showing in 04 to win the title, then became league runners-up, then couldnt get outta the Conf Finals. Next year that team wont make it outta the second round, "guaran-Sheed".
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

viper2 wrote:
1st a suprise showing in 04 to win the title, then became league runners-up, then couldnt get outta the Conf Finals.

Not to mention it took the most blatant officiating fix job in NBA history to get them the 2004 Finals.

Let's put it this way.....Shaq was called for jump ball violations to open THE FIRST FOUR GAMES OF THE NBA FINALS! Four straight games!

That is so past absurd and it is just one example of the bias going on from the officials in that series. Of course, the sheep in the media conveniently overlooked that.

I would be willing to bet Shaq hasn't been called for 4 jump ball violations in the entire two seasons since then.

Not real hard to "win" if the playing field is being tilted that severely in your favor. Just look at how Kobe was being fouled in that series with no whistle over and over again vs the calls Wade got vs the Pistons in this last series and then tell me that was a legit title.

Sorry. 2004 was a Fix Job.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Gotta agree with Lanny 110%. The NBA has found a way to tilt the playing field, generally achieving the results they want.

And I hope either the Mavs or Suns embarrass Shaq and the Heat. I'm not counting on it though.

Heat in 6.

Jake Speed, 1986
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: