KOBE DOES NOT HAVE A MOTORCYCLE ANYMORE - Who else is taking risks?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: KOBE DOES NOT HAVE A MOTORCYCLE ANYMORE - Who else is taking risks?

Per interview on ESPN:
...sold it 1 1/2 years ago because of safety issues. Now doing things at a slower pace. Thinking of taking up Golf.

In light of what has happened with Ben Roth...berger I think this is incredible news. However, he was approximately 8 years into his career before he got rid of ti. How many other IMPORTANT athletes take these kinds of risks and how long does it take for someone to...mature/grow to the point that they play it safe.

I just had a thought of Magic. He was an incredibly important athelete for the world of sports yet for years he took the risk of unprotected sex and sex with multiple partners. Wilt took that chance for his entire career with reportedly 20,000 plus women. Even the most well marketed persona, Michael Jordan, had his indiscretions.

I look at Winslow and I think youth and stupidity. I look at Ben and I think it's worse because he completely ignored the big picture. He has/had a chance to affect HISTORY with one of the greatest careers ever, yet he rides without a helmet.

Ultimately I think he is lucky to have had this experience. He survived and most likely will recovery and be able to perform on the football field. The consequences were stiff enough that he should never have the internal desire to ride without a helmet again, at least not during the season.

The question is, who else is out there taking risks?
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:

un1bomber wrote:
[DELETED]

Harsh, but humorous.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: KOBE DOES NOT HAVE A MOTORCYCLE ANYMORE - Who else is taking risks?

KoolMo wrote:
Per interview on ESPN:
...sold it 1 1/2 years ago because of safety issues. Now doing things at a slower pace. Thinking of taking up Golf.

In light of what has happened with Ben Roth...berger I think this is incredible news. However, he was approximately 8 years into his career before he got rid of ti. How many other IMPORTANT athletes take these kinds of risks and how long does it take for someone to...mature/grow to the point that they play it safe.

I just had a thought of Magic. He was an incredibly important athelete for the world of sports yet for years he took the risk of unprotected sex and sex with multiple partners. Wilt took that chance for his entire career with reportedly 20,000 plus women. Even the most well marketed persona, Michael Jordan, had his indiscretions.

I look at Winslow and I think youth and stupidity. I look at Ben and I think it's worse because he completely ignored the big picture. He has/had a chance to affect HISTORY with one of the greatest careers ever, yet he rides without a helmet.

Ultimately I think he is lucky to have had this experience. He survived and most likely will recovery and be able to perform on the football field. The consequences were stiff enough that he should never have the internal desire to ride without a helmet again, at least not during the season.

The question is, who else is out there taking risks?

This is a very sincere topic for a thread in a very cynical world or forum.

I once was a young man who took risks, I thought nothing could ever happen to me, I was wrong...

To anyone who reads this please be careful out there. No matter how strong, or smart you think you are, it just takes one mistake and your life can be changed forever.

Take care of yourselves and eachother.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Every NBA player cheats on their wife. Nothing exclusive about Jordan, Chamberlain and Johnson.
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I will only say this if you ride a bike. Make sure you have good medical insurance. A head/neck/brain/spinal cord/coma injury might eat through your standard insurance in a matter of weeks.

I ride and enjoying riding, but recently, as I contemplate on getting married, I might have to give up riding if (big if) the baby comes. I wanna at least see my kids grow up until they can take care of themselves before I take up riding again.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Shaq has a bike. Think of all of those innocent people he could hurt if he crashed into them.

Poor, unsuspecting family, sitting there eating their Krispy Kremes, when Shaq blows a tire in the drive through and takes them out.

Oh, the humanity.
un1bomber
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Shaq has a bike. Think of all of those innocent people he could hurt if he crashed into them.

Poor, unsuspecting family, sitting there eating their Krispy Kremes, when Shaq blows a tire in the drive through and takes them out.

Oh, the humanity.

freshprince
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

probably more to do with the fact he became a dad three years ago for the first time and after jay will and the whole colorado mess....i do not blame kob...dangerous hobby and you can jeapordize your career...good move!!!!!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

freshprince wrote:
probably more to do with the fact he became a dad three years ago for the first time and after jay will and the whole colorado mess....i do not blame kob...dangerous hobby and you can jeapordize your career...good move!!!!!
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
Every NBA player cheats on their wife. Nothing exclusive about Jordan, Chamberlain and Johnson.

or AK-47
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
or AK-47

8)
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

AK-47 has consent though......
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:

jminges wrote:

Except those that don't.

^^ Farmar

VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

unfortunately some people need the law to keep them in line. Common sense is a quickly vanishing commodity in society, i'm just glad at least kobe bryant seems to have more sense and maturity these days
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

When was this interview? Was it on TV? Got a link?
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

nvm
Manu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

You me and everyone we know. I mean, yes, Kobe's lively hood is dependent upon his body, so riding a motorcylce may be a poor calculated risk, but how many people ride bikes? How many people have unprotected sex with multiple partners? (well maybe in this day and age not that many, but in the 80s when Magic did?)

You keep on bringing up the point of 'important athlete' they are just peolpe. They do what peolpe do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:

I'd bet a case of HIV, and $20,000 on the fact that Magic and Wilt consider their situations pretty exclusive.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:

Cheating on your wife isn't really a big deal for most in society these days and that's sad. As a people, we've proven as such over the past 14 years. Let’s see where youthful irresponsible & irreverent behaviour can lead to:

Subject A: In his 20’s was arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct, received treatment for Alchoholism after an arrest for drunken driving, received diversion treatment for cocaine addiction after an arrest for cocaine possession in 1972, numerous episodes of unprotected sex & liaisons with other women while he was married.

Subject B: In his 20’s smoked a bit of pot, numerous episodes of unprotected sex & liaisons with other women while he was married, engaged in a number of episodes of criminal activity for financial gain.

Both Subject A & Subject B went on to become the leaders of their respective political parties and eventually leaders of the free world, yet somehow we want to hold athletes to an even higher standard. Big Ben made youthful decisions because he’s , uhhh, youthful. I’m pretty certain it’s an ordeal he’ll learn from and act accordingly in the future. Whether that means never riding without a helmet again or giving up riding entirely remains to be seen, but it’s his choice and as long as HE isn’t complaining about the consequences of his choices then he shouldn’d t be castigated for them sine they were just that ; his choices based on the little he’s learned in his 23 short years of life.

Heck, Ben’s actions are pretty tame in comparison. Maybe it’s just a start for him. With enough effort and a dedication to boozing and womanizing and a bit of casual drug use, who knows – Big Ben could become president. But alas, riding without a helmet is of course worse than all those other vices. Together we as a people have proven as such over the past 14 years since we’ve ignored the other indiscretions and elected two people with those characteristics to lead us but we’ve never elected someone who has ridden motorcycles without a helmet….Oh Ben, what were you thinking?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Oh, the humanity.

KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

"With enough effort and a dedication to boozing and womanizing and a bit of casual drug use, who knows – Big Ben could become president"

Clever.

I just had a thought...the problem isn't as much riding without a helmet as long as you're not playing bumper cars with four door sedans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: