OFFICIAL FRONT OFFICE, JIM BUSS, COACHING CHOICES DISCUSSION THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 143, 144, 145  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Maybe JVG can bring his brother to run the offense...I'm open to either (or both) of the Van Gundys.

I also like:

1. Lionel Hollins
2. George Karl
3. Byron Scott

I'd be happy with any of these guys.

The problem for JVG is that his offense is integrally linked to the D. His incredibly inefficient, slow offense is required to get the defensive results he hangs his hat on.

but isn't it better then giving up 130pts like its a street ball?

I think he hasn't coached in the league since Houston days so maybe he create some new system on Offense?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

JVG's trick was to just slow the game down and muck it up. So you might only give up 95 while scoring 90. Unless he has learned a different scheme since then. I would pass only because he has been away from the game so long.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Man this will be a difficult choice. If you put a gun to my head, I'd go with George Karl
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Man this will be a difficult choice. If you put a gun to my head, I'd go with George Karl

No defense would ever be played

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
purplehaze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

If the rumours are true that Kobe wants D'Antoni gone... then he will be by next week.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject:

These exit interviews make me feel like MDA is staying...hope I'm wrong.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:

Yep, hoping you're wrong to and he's let go...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:

What happened to this? I was counting on you being right.

RMurphy_22 wrote:
MDA will not be back...book it
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

NO MORE RETREADS! Please! Get some new blood or a legit coach if he becomes available which doesn't look like there will be one.
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Stan Van Gundy is the best available coach imo
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JVG's trick was to just slow the game down and muck it up. So you might only give up 95 while scoring 90. Unless he has learned a different scheme since then. I would pass only because he has been away from the game so long.

maybe being away taught him a thing or 2 about offense?

who are u targeting VLF?
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

While SVG is the best option as coach, there are reports that he doesn't wanna move his family and coach right now. We dunno who if the organization will stay w/ MDA or move on yet...
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the big problem with Mike D'Antoni.

The younger players love him. All of them said he pretty much allow them to go out and play their game. It seems like he instills confidence in his players.

Veterans, mainly bigs seem to have an issue with him. Chris Kaman and Pau Gasol are slow footed who despite a strong showing in pre-season weren't as productive (statistically speaking) when D'Antoni went with a "big lineup"

Steve Blake surely didnt seem to have any problems with D'Antoni. Steve Blake actually looked better than he did the first couple of years with the Lakers. I don't think thats a coincidence.

The only thing that really boggled my mind was the mis-use of Jordan Hill.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
RMurphy_22 wrote:

What happened to this? I was counting on you being right.

RMurphy_22 wrote:
MDA will not be back...book it

I stand by my source, but he doesn't final decision either. It's up to Mitch and Jim and of course feedback from the players is important. I still believe he will be let go by the weekend...but until it's final who knows?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
I don't see the big problem with Mike D'Antoni.

The younger players love him. All of them said he pretty much allow them to go out and play their game. It seems like he instills confidence in his players.

Veterans, mainly bigs seem to have an issue with him. Chris Kaman and Pau Gasol are slow footed who despite a strong showing in pre-season weren't as productive (statistically speaking) when D'Antoni went with a "big lineup"

Steve Blake surely didnt seem to have any problems with D'Antoni. Steve Blake actually looked better than he did the first couple of years with the Lakers. I don't think thats a coincidence.

The only thing that really boggled my mind was the mis-use of Jordan Hill.

Hill is the classic mirage. Looks great for a few games, tapers off quickly, gets benched, sits for a while, plays great in a few games again. Rinse, repeat. Its just that fans forget the taper off part, and wonder why he is being treated unfairly NY the third straight team.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

^ I don't disagree.. but I don't see why he didn't see consistent time coming off the bench. He's definitely capable of contributing at say 20 minutes per game. He's by no means a reliable starter, though. In those short spurts though coming off the bench.. I'm not sure I could name a better "big" coming off the bench.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Oddly enough: defense. Hill is an elite help defense sieve. He has a reputation of not knowing the scheme and being in the wrong place routinely. Hi energy (for a short term) low brain.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Imagine that.

Is it outside the realm of possibility that Mike D'Antoni isn't a very big fan of Jordan Hill because of something that has to do with defense?

Defense? We talkin' bout defense?

I know, I know, controversial statement.

Sounds like you're not too high on Jordan Hill either.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Gonna /eyeroll the Hill bashing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:

Not sure why evidence based stuff is bashing. I know it is popular to assume everything is the result of bad MDA and jim buss. But there is analysis to be made beyond that. Hill is a horrible help defender, loses steam with regular minutes, and has a well documented lack of hoop IQ. That is totally separate of whatever you think of MDA.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Adelman's going to leave Minnesota.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/report-rick-adelman-will-not-return-as-timberwolves-coach/

Quote:
This has been expected, and it’s mutual.

Rick Adelman will not return as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, reports Sid Hartman at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

There is no chance — zero — of Rick Adelman returning as Timberwolves head coach next season, according to one of the team’s decision-makers. Look for an announcement to that effect soon.

Both sides are ready to move on. In the case of Adelman, whose wife has been ill (he missed time due to that last season), he wants to spend more time with his family. In his case that is not a euphemism, it’s an understandable reality.

For the Timberwolves, this was a team that outscored opponents by 2.7 points a game, 10th best in the NBA. That’s better than the Mavericks, Bulls, Grizzlies and Suns. Yet the inability of this team to close out games effectively (they lost to the Jazz in double OT Wednesday night), to defend in clutch situations, left them below .500 (40-42) and nine games out of the playoffs. This roster is better than that and management thinks a new coach can help turn things around.

The question is who would that new coach be?

The most logical answer is Flip Saunders, the team president who could come down to the bench if owner Glen Taylor approves it. If not, and if Taylor is willing to open his pocketbook, there might be a line of good coaches willing to step into this job because it is possible to have quick success.

Of course, if Kevin Love leaves in the summer of 2015 (and he probably will according to sources around the league), things change rapidly in Minnesota.

Might be 3 years too late for him to fit in well with us though. I think he'll retire.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:

Not sure why evidence based stuff is bashing. I know it is popular to assume everything is the result of bad MDA and jim buss. But there is analysis to be made beyond that. Hill is a horrible help defender, loses steam with regular minutes, and has a well documented lack of hoop IQ. That is totally separate of whatever you think of MDA.

Sure, coaching has nothing to do with it, beyond just the fact that very few NBA players lack flaws.

Bash away chief.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Looks like Adelman's going to leave Minnesota.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/report-rick-adelman-will-not-return-as-timberwolves-coach/

Quote:
This has been expected, and it’s mutual.

Rick Adelman will not return as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, reports Sid Hartman at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

There is no chance — zero — of Rick Adelman returning as Timberwolves head coach next season, according to one of the team’s decision-makers. Look for an announcement to that effect soon.

Both sides are ready to move on. In the case of Adelman, whose wife has been ill (he missed time due to that last season), he wants to spend more time with his family. In his case that is not a euphemism, it’s an understandable reality.

For the Timberwolves, this was a team that outscored opponents by 2.7 points a game, 10th best in the NBA. That’s better than the Mavericks, Bulls, Grizzlies and Suns. Yet the inability of this team to close out games effectively (they lost to the Jazz in double OT Wednesday night), to defend in clutch situations, left them below .500 (40-42) and nine games out of the playoffs. This roster is better than that and management thinks a new coach can help turn things around.

The question is who would that new coach be?

The most logical answer is Flip Saunders, the team president who could come down to the bench if owner Glen Taylor approves it. If not, and if Taylor is willing to open his pocketbook, there might be a line of good coaches willing to step into this job because it is possible to have quick success.

Of course, if Kevin Love leaves in the summer of 2015 (and he probably will according to sources around the league), things change rapidly in Minnesota.

Might be 3 years too late for him to fit in well with us though. I think he'll retire.

What has Rick Adelman done in the 3 years he was in Minnesota? I mean, for all the undeserved hate Mike D'Antoni has gotten.. it surprises me people here would want Adelman.

3 straight non-playoff seasons with who everyone is drooling over in "franchise player" Kevin Love.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:
24 wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:

Sure, coaching has nothing to do with it, beyond just the fact that very few NBA players lack flaws.

Bash away chief.

Not sure why it is an either or situation. But then again, I'm not operating from anger looking for a single focus. Just analyzing a player independent of other issues.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
24 wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:

Bash away chief.

Not sure why it is an either or situation. But then again, I'm not operating from anger looking for a single focus. Just analyzing a player independent of other issues.

And that's where you make your mistake.

If I have learned nothing else from LG, it's that there is always one thing to blame when something goes wrong. Not a combination of events or situations, just one.

You need to learn that and focus on that one thing. Really get at it. Take a sledgehammer to it. Over and over again. Don't ever stop. If someone takes away your sledgehammer, then go get another one. If you can't find one, any blunt object will suffice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 143, 144, 145  Next
Page 137 of 145
Jump to: