is Smush playing at the SPL this year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
Kobe was accused of raping a white girl in colorado....
kobe was accused of raping a white girl in colorado....

The more you mention the past what does that do....
The more you mention the past what does that do....

Its just plain annoying because u think you have a point...
Its just plain annoying because u think you have a point...

People want team issues resolved in house...but steady dig up dirt...dude...he played a good season...give him a pat on the back..hope he gets better...hope he gets worst...but stop bringing up the PAST!!!!! The far past at that...

Don't get me wrong, I wish Smush the best, but you don't see a pattern?

You don't see that coaches have been saying the same thing about him his whole career and he doesn't change? That whole pouting on the bench thing? He was on a 10-day contract pouting on the bench! How does one do that?!! He did the same thing all year this year. Whenever he was yanked from a game...pout, pout, pout.

Then this year instead of saying, "OK, maybe streetball won't make me better, maybe I should work my butt off on A, B and C," he decides to go back to play in the park. The guy is barely hanging onto his career by a thread and he isn't going to spend all summer in a gym with other pros working out, working on his defense? He is doing a disservice to the Lakers and us fans by not promising to work his butt off for us during the summer.

And the past is never the past. We are who we are because of the past. Smush is who he is because he was always given a free pass due to his talent and athletic gifts.

Gosh, I just think about what I'd do if I were 6'3" 200 pounds, had long arms and could jump out of the building and had an $800,000 NBA contract. I know that I wouldn't be playing basketball in a park during the summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

I Havent heard Phil say anything negative about smush. Sure ive seen smush have negative reactions to things that have happened...but what player doesnt do that? i hope players do get mad when the dont play...and do get frustrated when they play bad...i also want them to be able to get over it. Im sure most of the frustration kobe felt with shaq was because in the past...kobe would mess up...and shaq would clean up...but as kobe progressed shaq thought of the past...when things were different...but shaq never let the past down and wanted to keep kobe "over there" in that time and space.
i think smush did well the past season...i dont think his "attitude" held him down...i think his body got burned out. he played EVERY game...thats saying alot. so im sure he knows more than anybody how to stay in shape. im sure the lakers will point out some goals for him to acheieve...and i hope he does that. I just dont think bringing up past mistakes does anything...everybody makes mistakes...let me start now.

Nick van exel pushed a ref
magic johnson bumped a ref
Scottie refused to go in a game
Jordan socked a teammate in the face
James worthy picked up a prostitute
ac green was a virgin lol
shaq never was in shape during training camp
lamar odom was caught with weed

everybody has skeletons...if u are gonna point them out...do it for everybody...dont make it convenient to fit an agenda
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

Smush's exit interview:
LA Times Blog wrote:

The season didn't end in the way you wanted to. But have you had a chance to look at the whole season and see what you've accomplished?

"It was a disappointing end to the season, but for myself looking back at the season it couldn't get any better-- actually, it could be better, but looking back to where I came from, being in the NBDL two seasons ago and now I was the starting point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers. Who would have thought? Not in a million years I would have woke up one morning and said I was going to be the starting point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers and I'm playing for the Florida Flame right now."

(Interesting note- Smush started to say "I am the starting point guard," and caught himself, instead stating "I was the starting point guard." It's an important distinction that shows he doesn't feel a sense of entitlement regarding the job leading into next year. It also prompted the next question.)

You say "was," in the sense that you have to go back and get it again next year?

"Oh yeah, definitely. Nothing's guaranteed for me, here. My name isn't Kobe Bryant. (Not a dig at Kobe. It's fair to say 8/24 has a roster spot locked up next year) Nothing is guaranteed. I still have to come back and fight and earn the respect of the players, the coaching staff, the fans, the media. I still just have to get better and grow as a player."

Phil has said he wants to add speed and defense, and those are your things. Things you can bring, too. Are there things you haven't shown this team yet?

"There's a lot of things I haven't shown myself yet. I know what I'm capable of doing, and I believe this year (was) just a learning expereince. And hopefully I can learn from things that I've experienced this year and grow as a player. You haven't seen the most of Smush Parker yet, and neither have I."

What will you take from Games 4, 5, and 6? 7? And the series in general?

"Well, 4, 5, and 6 were a lot different than Games 1, 2, and 3 because I put pressure on myself. Game 3, I scored 18 points, led the team in scoring. And I just put too much pressure on myself to try to play to that level again. And I just started overthinking instead of just playing like I did in Games 1,2, and 3. It wasn't the pressure of being in the playoffs, it was just myself thinking too much about what it is I need to be doing, or what I shouldn't be doing, instead of just playing basketball."

It probably has something with chasing Steve Nash around for seven games, too.

"Yeah. You know, Steve Nash is a good point guard. Great guy. MVP of the league two years in a row. There's a reason for that. Chasing him around screens and up and down the court, it just looked like he did whatever he wanted to do at any time in the game, and that definitely took a toll on me mentally as well as physically. But it was a learning experience with me. Something that I'm not going to let bother me in the future, and learn from it."

How good can this team be if you stay together?

"We have unlimited potential as far as what we can do as a team if the core of this team stays together."

What did Phil and Mitch tell you specifically that they want you to improve?

"My in-between game. Phil Jackson said I'm either shooting a three or going to the basket, but it's the in-between- being able to pump fake a three point shot, take one or two dribbles and being able to knock down a mid-range jump shot is something I need to work on. Basketball wise, as far as being a better teammate, a better point guard, being able to communicate better with my teammates on and off the court is something I also have to work on. Because I'm a quiet and to myself kind of guy. Building relationships off the court will help for a better team on the court. So that's another place I need to work on."

What do you plan on doing this summer in terms of improving your game?

"I have to physically work on some things that will help me on the court. I talked to Gary Vitti and his staff, and they informed me about certain things that I can tweak up on my body. That I have to get stronger, that I have to even out, that I need to adjust so that when I'm playing out on the court it'll make me faster on defense or it'll make me stronger in what I want to do as far as when I'm taking my jump shot. So there's going to be a lot of off the court work to me bettering myself as a player."

And other aspects specifically? Whether shooting, or on the ball defense, or whatever? Things that you really want to work on?

"Of course I want to get better on my on the ball defense, but Coach Jackson brought to my attention that it's my off the ball defense that I need to work on. They say that I play defense off the ball upright, and that's costing me a fraction of a second to react to certain situations and certain things, so that's a place on my game on defense that I want to work on. Being able to be more alert and be quicker in my decisions in my off the ball defense."

Are you planning on playing summer league ball?

"I don't plan on it. It'll be my first summer that I actually have a decision whether to play or not play. Summers before this I've had no choice but to play. But if I feel the need to or if the team wants me to, I'll play. I'll definitely play."

Nice to have the choice, though?

"Yeah. It's definitely nice to have the option not to."

Note: Smush says he will play in the SPL if the Lakers ask him to.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

Ronnie Lester on the Lakers' SPL Team:
LA Times Blog wrote:
BK: Who from the current roster do you anticipate playing this summer?

RL: Andrew Bynum. Von Wafer. Devin Green, who's a restricted free agent, has indicated that he's going to play with us in the summer league. And Ronny Turiaf would have played but he's working out with the French national team. He may play with the French national team this summer, so he's working towards that end, getting himself in the best shape he possibly can be in, and he'll start practicing with those guys. I think they start in early July. So he won't be available for the summer league.

BK: What is the process of filling out the rest of the team? Can you start now, or do you have to wait until after the draft?

RL: You can start now with free agent type players. And we have probably eight players already committed to play with us in summer league. We have two draft choices who will play with us in summer league. You take the three kids, the rookies that we had last year, plus the draft picks is five. We've got commitments from other kids that we've seen over the last year or two, whether they were in the draft last year, whether they were minor league players, European players, all of that.

BK: Can you be specific about who they are?

RL: Yeah. Kasib Powell, who was a small forward, played at Texas Tech. He's gonna play with us in summer league. Nile Murry. He's a two guard who played at TCU. I think he transferred in there from Temple. We have a point guard by the name of Doron Perkins, who played at Santa Clara a year ago. Went over and played in Japan this past year. Nick Horvath, who played at Duke. 6-foot-10 kid. He's gonna play with us. Been playing professionally in Australia. And I think that's it.

Sounds like they have a full team without Smush.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

Here are my thoughts on summer league teams:

The Four Main Purposes of a Summer League Team
1. Be Lakers basketball 101 for new players
Summer league is an opportunity to teach new players the Lakers offense, defense and conditioning drills. In training camp, vets are going to be there who already know all this information, so doing this teaching in training camp isn't as productive.

2. Show the new players what they must work on before training camp
A player will work much harder on improving on a skill if he can see in games that his current skill level isn't sufficient.

3. Pencil in minutes per game for the new players
Based upon how his players play, a GM will pencil in minutes per game to determine holes in his line up. Then, based upon the penciled MPG's, the GM knows what trades/signings he needs to make. For example, the Lakers were a lot less concerned about their PG position last season after watching Smush in the SPL.

4. Find promising free agents to invite to training camp
There are players that weren't drafted or once played on another NBA that could possibly make the opening day roster. Summer camp is a chance to identify such players.

Another way to look at a summer league team is that it is primarily about your first round pick(s), then of secondary importance is your second round picks and bench players from last season, then third in importance is possible training camp invites.

Overall, I think it would be a waste to have Smush play in the SPL. The Lakers should be focusing on players that they need to know more about.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
Smush's exit interview:
LA Times Blog wrote:

The season didn't end in the way you wanted to. But have you had a chance to look at the whole season and see what you've accomplished?

"It was a disappointing end to the season, but for myself looking back at the season it couldn't get any better-- actually, it could be better, but looking back to where I came from, being in the NBDL two seasons ago and now I was the starting point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers. Who would have thought? Not in a million years I would have woke up one morning and said I was going to be the starting point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers and I'm playing for the Florida Flame right now."

(Interesting note- Smush started to say "I am the starting point guard," and caught himself, instead stating "I was the starting point guard." It's an important distinction that shows he doesn't feel a sense of entitlement regarding the job leading into next year. It also prompted the next question.)

You say "was," in the sense that you have to go back and get it again next year?

"Oh yeah, definitely. Nothing's guaranteed for me, here. My name isn't Kobe Bryant. (Not a dig at Kobe. It's fair to say 8/24 has a roster spot locked up next year) Nothing is guaranteed. I still have to come back and fight and earn the respect of the players, the coaching staff, the fans, the media. I still just have to get better and grow as a player."

Phil has said he wants to add speed and defense, and those are your things. Things you can bring, too. Are there things you haven't shown this team yet?

"There's a lot of things I haven't shown myself yet. I know what I'm capable of doing, and I believe this year (was) just a learning expereince. And hopefully I can learn from things that I've experienced this year and grow as a player. You haven't seen the most of Smush Parker yet, and neither have I."

What will you take from Games 4, 5, and 6? 7? And the series in general?

"Well, 4, 5, and 6 were a lot different than Games 1, 2, and 3 because I put pressure on myself. Game 3, I scored 18 points, led the team in scoring. And I just put too much pressure on myself to try to play to that level again. And I just started overthinking instead of just playing like I did in Games 1,2, and 3. It wasn't the pressure of being in the playoffs, it was just myself thinking too much about what it is I need to be doing, or what I shouldn't be doing, instead of just playing basketball."

It probably has something with chasing Steve Nash around for seven games, too.

"Yeah. You know, Steve Nash is a good point guard. Great guy. MVP of the league two years in a row. There's a reason for that. Chasing him around screens and up and down the court, it just looked like he did whatever he wanted to do at any time in the game, and that definitely took a toll on me mentally as well as physically. But it was a learning experience with me. Something that I'm not going to let bother me in the future, and learn from it."

How good can this team be if you stay together?

"We have unlimited potential as far as what we can do as a team if the core of this team stays together."

What did Phil and Mitch tell you specifically that they want you to improve?

"My in-between game. Phil Jackson said I'm either shooting a three or going to the basket, but it's the in-between- being able to pump fake a three point shot, take one or two dribbles and being able to knock down a mid-range jump shot is something I need to work on. Basketball wise, as far as being a better teammate, a better point guard, being able to communicate better with my teammates on and off the court is something I also have to work on. Because I'm a quiet and to myself kind of guy. Building relationships off the court will help for a better team on the court. So that's another place I need to work on."

What do you plan on doing this summer in terms of improving your game?

"I have to physically work on some things that will help me on the court. I talked to Gary Vitti and his staff, and they informed me about certain things that I can tweak up on my body. That I have to get stronger, that I have to even out, that I need to adjust so that when I'm playing out on the court it'll make me faster on defense or it'll make me stronger in what I want to do as far as when I'm taking my jump shot. So there's going to be a lot of off the court work to me bettering myself as a player."

And other aspects specifically? Whether shooting, or on the ball defense, or whatever? Things that you really want to work on?

"Of course I want to get better on my on the ball defense, but Coach Jackson brought to my attention that it's my off the ball defense that I need to work on. They say that I play defense off the ball upright, and that's costing me a fraction of a second to react to certain situations and certain things, so that's a place on my game on defense that I want to work on. Being able to be more alert and be quicker in my decisions in my off the ball defense."

Are you planning on playing summer league ball?

"I don't plan on it. It'll be my first summer that I actually have a decision whether to play or not play. Summers before this I've had no choice but to play. But if I feel the need to or if the team wants me to, I'll play. I'll definitely play."

Nice to have the choice, though?

"Yeah. It's definitely nice to have the option not to."

Note: Smush says he will play in the SPL if the Lakers ask him to.

Was this on Lexis-Nexis?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Was this on Lexis-Nexis?

You may be shocked to hear this, but there are many individuals in the world including myself that don't have access to Lexis-Nexis.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Everytime I go to a news stand, I see this guy's face or name on the cover of another obscure street ball magazine. Can't believe all the attention he's getting without really achieving anything. Sure, he had a decent season for a guy who never played for a full season before, but come on. He hasn't done squat in the NBA yet.

Umm, Zig. the man played for theee Los Angeles Lakers as the starting guard, and didn't look bad doing it. didn't look great. but showed glimpses of what could be. so for a street baller, that was getting bounced around the league/NBDL or whatever. Being a solid laker pg is more then "Squat" as you put it. He also helped the lakers get to the playoffs. i know we dont want to believe that. but I will say this, if we kept chucky some how, with the same roster. We wouldn't have made it. So give smush his due. Its not like he's on the front page of NBA.com. its a streetball magazine, anyone who makes it from street balling to the big leagues. deserves to be on the front cover as a testamant to hard work and patience. something for all street ballers to look forward to. cause i dont care what they say. they all want to be in the NBA.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
TACH wrote:
Was this on Lexis-Nexis?

You may be shocked to hear this, but there are many individuals in the world including myself that don't have access to Lexis-Nexis.

Actually, that was meant for another poster... My bad...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Everytime I go to a news stand, I see this guy's face or name on the cover of another obscure street ball magazine. Can't believe all the attention he's getting without really achieving anything. Sure, he had a decent season for a guy who never played for a full season before, but come on. He hasn't done squat in the NBA yet.

Umm, Zig. the man played for theee Los Angeles Lakers as the starting guard, and didn't look bad doing it. didn't look great. but showed glimpses of what could be. so for a street baller, that was getting bounced around the league/NBDL or whatever. Being a solid laker pg is more then "Squat" as you put it. He also helped the lakers get to the playoffs. i know we dont want to believe that. but I will say this, if we kept chucky some how, with the same roster. We wouldn't have made it. So give smush his due. Its not like he's on the front page of NBA.com. its a streetball magazine, anyone who makes it from street balling to the big leagues. deserves to be on the front cover as a testamant to hard work and patience. something for all street ballers to look forward to. cause i dont care what they say. they all want to be in the NBA.

I've given him his due. I've been a fan of his all year and I'm glad we got him for cheap. There was a 4 or 5 page spread on Smush in Dime during the middle of the season and I typed the whole thing out and posted it here. I think he was a huge upgrade over Chucky/Tierre and thought he was a good backcourt complement to Kobe. I just think he's getting way more attention then he deserves. And that's not good for a kid who already has an ego.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Smush is an AND1 legend- that's the problem. He is used to one on one play and flash over team fundamentals. Because of his background, he may never be a PG starter on a championship team- see Rafer Alston for the Raptors and others. He may be a PG starter for a lottery team but not for a title contender unless he can play team ball.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
Here are my thoughts on summer league teams:

The Four Main Purposes of a Summer League Team
1. Be Lakers basketball 101 for new players
Summer league is an opportunity to teach new players the Lakers offense, defense and conditioning drills. In training camp, vets are going to be there who already know all this information, so doing this teaching in training camp isn't as productive.

2. Show the new players what they must work on before training camp
A player will work much harder on improving on a skill if he can see in games that his current skill level isn't sufficient.

3. Pencil in minutes per game for the new players
Based upon how his players play, a GM will pencil in minutes per game to determine holes in his line up. Then, based upon the penciled MPG's, the GM knows what trades/signings he needs to make. For example, the Lakers were a lot less concerned about their PG position last season after watching Smush in the SPL.

4. Find promising free agents to invite to training camp
There are players that weren't drafted or once played on another NBA that could possibly make the opening day roster. Summer camp is a chance to identify such players.

Another way to look at a summer league team is that it is primarily about your first round pick(s), then of secondary importance is your second round picks and bench players from last season, then third in importance is possible training camp invites.

Overall, I think it would be a waste to have Smush play in the SPL. The Lakers should be focusing on players that they need to know more about.

^^^thank U dennis.

And this is truth. what do you guys want to see in smush come SPL? great defense. the funny thing is, guess who he will be playing against? Not so great offensive players. so tightening up your defense against young and dumb, pretty good to so so players will not help your defense. It may make you think you're better on de then you really are. Because you're playing against weaker, and less bball intelligent players(at this stage in there careers).

See, i went to check out a game in the SPL,and was closely watching box scores of other games. And what i saw, was a lot of RAW talent, and a lot of Bone head plays from all squads, and all players. because thats what happens when you put together young players.

If smushed did play he would mess around and lead the SPL in steals, assist and points, and you would think he's gotten better over the summer. when in reality, he played 82 games straight plus first round of offs against a 2time mvp.

So with all that experience. he's going to be head and shoulders above 95% of the spl crop. which means the SPL is no comp. he would do better hanging out with kobe once he gets off of vacation.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
So with all that experience. he's going to be head and shoulders above 95% of the spl crop. which means the SPL is no comp. he would do better hanging out with kobe once he gets off of vacation.

It would be much better if he hung out with Nash.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
With a nonguaranteed contract, he better be there.

Didn't his contract become guaranteed in January? Does it become UN-guarenteed at some point?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: