Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Part of Simmons' appeal . . .

There's nothing appealing about him at all.

He has no substance or integrity. While he's hardly alone in that regard in the business, at least some of his colleagues manage to be interesting to read or listen to.

Simmons is just a Bleacher Report troll with a corporate job.

His comments on this subject were just yet another attempt at grabbing attention. He took a hot and controversial topic and exploited it to call attention to himself by acting as if he really cared and pretending to take a stand. He knew that if he called out his employer he'd get mention in other media streams His whole act is nothing more than a Grantland commercial.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

He has no substance or integrity. While he's hardly alone in that regard in the business, at least some of his colleagues manage to be interesting to read or listen to.

His comments on this subject were just yet another attempt at grabbing attention. He took a hot and controversial topic and exploited it to call attention to himself by acting as if he really cared and pretending to take a stand. He knew that if he called out his employer he'd get mention in other media streams His whole act is nothing more than a Grantland commercial.

K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

You might right about the motivations behind his actions. But that doesn't preclude the possibility that his claims aren't true.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

When I said "appeal" I meant appeal to the masses. He is popular, that cannot be denied. He has gained that popularity by somehow managing to convince people he is anti-establishment while being THE establishment.

In any case, I do think we were saying the same thing. He manufactured the controversy in an attempt to keep that "anti-establishment" cred. FWIW, I read him because I am entertained by him. However, that doesn't mean I do not recognize the hypocrisy.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
FWIW, I read him because I am entertained by him. However, that doesn't mean I do not recognize the hypocrisy.

Sounds like that Denzel line:

"This paper is 99% BS...but it entatains me..."
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I have some rather mixed feelings about this. While I applaud Simmons for going on offense, he really didn't need to challenge his employer. Forget the policy regarding editorial standards, that is a cover as everyone knows Simmons is pure editorial content, so forget the journalistic integrity crap. The problem is that Simmons started a two front war when only one front (Goodell) was needed to make his key point. I don't know if it was ego, a power trip or personal dissatisfaction with something or someone at ESPN, but I get the feeling there's a story behind this story and Simmons was just using this story as a tool to lash out.

If SI had the cojones, they'd grab him. But they won't, and without a platform Simmons could really end up as yet another Chris Sheridan.

Keith Olbermann has made many of the same points about Goodell on his ESPN show. It seems Simmons' main transgression was taunting the mothership. And it's something he's has done before and been suspended over before.

Exactly my thoughts.

To be honest, for the lack of a better word, I never thought ESPN had the balls to to talk this negatively about the NFL, but they've thrown them under the bus as deserved.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

I guess count me among the few that actually like Simmons. Yeah he has an ego, yeah he can be an attention whore, and yeah he is a Boston homer. So what? That doesn't mean he hasn't also been a fresh voice among the media drones. He's been willing to call out and say things other sports media hasn't and I'll read him for that. Grantland has some of the best content on the web these days. 30 for 30 is great. Yeah, it's dumb to call out your employer like that, but Simmons doesn't strike me as a stupid dude. He knew he would get suspended at least for that. Makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:

I don't have a problem with the homer or outsider stuff, that's entertaining. It is the "hey, look at me, I'm being edgy and hip over here" brattiness that turns me off. He's become the equivalent of right wing radio, so concerned with being over the top that the content doesn't matter.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

bill simmons is bs
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I guess count me among the few that actually like Simmons. Yeah he has an ego, yeah he can be an attention whore, and yeah he is a Boston homer. So what? That doesn't mean he hasn't also been a fresh voice among the media drones. He's been willing to call out and say things other sports media hasn't and I'll read him for that. Grantland has some of the best content on the web these days. 30 for 30 is great. Yeah, it's dumb to call out your employer like that, but Simmons doesn't strike me as a stupid dude. He knew he would get suspended at least for that. Makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

No I like his stuff because it's funny. I do think he knows what's he talking about re: basketball, and makes it fun to discuss same. He's brought super smart basketball writers like Zach Lowe (my fave) to Grantland. He's an unabashed Celtics fan, at least he admits it unlike other "neutral" NBA writers.

This was intentional, and yes, it drummed up tons of support. Is he suspended without pay?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

The brattiness can be annoying for sure, but for me personally it doesn't negate the value of the content he brings to the table. I haven't seen him do or say anything so over the top that it devalues his positions and perspectives. Daring his employers to suspend him is childish, no doubt. But honestly I could care less about that and I just focus on the sports content.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

Love Bill Simmons. Grantland is great. His podcasts are great. His mailbags are great. I love the pop culture references he injects into everything. I'm also a big 90210 fan like he is.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Is anyone shocked? ESPN = TMZ of sports because it makes more money.

Simmons AND ESPN will both benefit fromt he publicity of this.

Now if they fired him then that would have been significant
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Love Bill Simmons. Grantland is great. His podcasts are great. His mailbags are great. I love the pop culture references he injects into everything. I'm also a big 90210 fan like he is.

Both he and Grantland are fantastic. ESPN should be careful in how they mistreat him. It's one thing to suspend him for publicly criticizing his fellow co-workers like they've done in the past (and in both cases they deserved much worse than they got). But this is petty stuff. Everything he said about Gooddell is true, and they only suspended him because he jokingly dared them. And it's right when Grantland was going to launch their NBA preview in time for the start of the season, which likely gets pushed back now.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

I like Simmons as long as he's not talking about the Lakers or Celtics. He's very witty and funny and I think the pop references are always great. I don't think he has a very good knowledge of basketball itself but he does know a great deal about the history of the game. I enjoy reading his stuff and I love Grantland.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:

The only thing about him that keeps him from being a complete waste of skin is that he thinks "The Wire" is the greatest Television show of all time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Moral of the story? Don't talk bad about the cash cow.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I like Simmons too.

No matter what you think of him, he's better than Skip Bayless.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I like Simmons too.

No matter what you think of him, he's better than Skip Bayless.

Not exactly a high bar to clear.

!...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Skip >>> Simmons IMO
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

When I said "appeal" I meant appeal to the masses. He is popular, that cannot be denied. He has gained that popularity by somehow managing to convince people he is anti-establishment while being THE establishment.

In any case, I do think we were saying the same thing. He manufactured the controversy in an attempt to keep that "anti-establishment" cred. FWIW, I read him because I am entertained by him. However, that doesn't mean I do not recognize the hypocrisy.

I figured you speaking about his general appeal, though I don't see it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Be careful what you ask for.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Why does Simmons take the NFL or any sports league serious, while at the same time propping up WWE and MTV reality shows? It's all entertainment "BS" anyway.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I never got why people like this guy. Do you really want to see a douche version of everyfan? Its not like the guy even has a very good grasp on sports in general or basketball in particular.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:

All the ESPN bigwigs and Simmons needed to do to bury the hatchet was get together over a beer, discuss their mutual love of all things Boston and hatred for all things LA.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: