Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Hate crime, quite possibly, maybe not. Terrorism, no way.

Both you guys are wrong. Hate crimes are absolutely terrorism. They seek to affect not only the individual victim, but all those of the targeted group. Period.

Terrorism is the attempt to coerce political or social change through instilling a fear of violence, by threats of violence and/or the use of violence. This does not qualify. Period (by saying "period" that means my opinion is extra correct.)

If you don't think that is exactly what hate crimes do, then I don't know what to say.

I don't think terrorism and "hate crimes" are mutually exclusive, but that doesn't mean that all "hate crimes" (and it's not conclusive that this actually was motivated by prejudice against Muslims) are terrorism. There has to be the intent to instill fear in others in order to affect social or political change.

It's pretty clear from what was going on with this guy that his intent was exactly that.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:

I don't know about that. This case is the perfect example of why there really is little difference between the two.

The motivations, goals and execution are the same. It's really just a difference of scale.

If they can eventually prove terrorism, I'm for it.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ani007 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ani007 wrote:
are you not contradicting yourself when you want to super define the word terrorism/terrorist, yet how this crime is defined is inconsequential?

You're going to have to phrase this better, because I'm not really sure what you're saying.

I'm saying you're charging us and the world over with injudiciously using the word terrorism, and you delineated quite eloquently what terrorism is and how it is actually defined.

Yet you don't care about the charges his crime will be defined by....I thought you were a stickler for how something should adhere to it's defintition....well then his motives, mindset, history, intent etc. Do become significant to define and declare the crime he is being accused of and subsequently prosecuted for.

I'll clarify. When I said "who cares?" I wasn't questioning mere curiosity or inquiry into why, but rather questioning political debates about what to blame. I'm saying neither carry significant meaning on any large scale, considering this is one crime out of thousands of crimes. Either way, I don't see a fundamental difference in the crime if he was motivated by prejudice, or a plain old neighbor beef. Both reasons are (bleep) up and stupid, and they both make him a danger to society. So to me, it's immaterial in that sense.

It's pretty sick when you see people almost gleeful about something like this happening because they finally have ammunition to use against their target groups. Just like how feminists reacted to the Elliot Rodger killing spree, they immediately built him up as this consummate representative of all their typical targets and evidence of a societal attitude, and they seemed almost happy that it happened, so they can finally have some type of smoking gun to refer to. A lot of these people don't really care about the actual "why," they only care if they can use it as ammunition in their own personal crusade.

And for the record, I'm not necessarily saying that this stuff is going on here in this thread.

Agreed on most if not all of this
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

Both you guys are wrong. Hate crimes are absolutely terrorism. They seek to affect not only the individual victim, but all those of the targeted group. Period.

Terrorism is the attempt to coerce political or social change through instilling a fear of violence, by threats of violence and/or the use of violence. This does not qualify. Period (by saying "period" that means my opinion is extra correct.)

If you don't think that is exactly what hate crimes do, then I don't know what to say.

KBCB is spot on. Hate crimes are aimed at intimidation of a specific group through threat and violence.

That's also exactly the definition of terrorism. The idea that terrorism only exists on a widespread political spectrum is ridiculous.

Thank you for articulating that so well.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

I don't think terrorism and "hate crimes" are mutually exclusive, but that doesn't mean that all "hate crimes" (and it's not conclusive that this actually was motivated by prejudice against Muslims) are terrorism. There has to be the intent to instill fear in others in order to affect social or political change.

It's pretty clear from what was going on with this guy that his intent was exactly that.

How so?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:

I don't know about that. This case is the perfect example of why there really is little difference between the two.

The motivations, goals and execution are the same. It's really just a difference of scale.

If they can eventually prove terrorism, I'm for it.

Probably a difficult charge to pull off in a trial, and I doubt they will try. But from what I have read, he was essentially engaging in terrorizing his neighbors to ascribe to his demands through intimidation.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

How so?

Read what his neighbors have to say.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
There has to be the intent to instill fear in others in order to affect social or political change.

I think the difference is that guys like this aren't out to change society or politics. They simply act on their hateful thoughts, like a kid who acts out because they don't understand something.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

How so?

Just read some quotes, and I don't see that as terrorism. If you want to have that broad of a usage of the word terrorism, okay, but normally that's just called bullying on that small of a social scale. Technically all bullying would be called terrorism if that's your standard.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

How so?

Just read some quotes, and I don't see that as terrorism. If you want to have that broad of a usage of the word terrorism, okay, but normally that's just called bullying on that small of a social scale. Technically all bullying would be called terrorism if that's your standard.

Lol this thread is getting redonk....

It shouldn't surprise you that some people would call this incident terrorism or this man a terrorist. Nor should the media hubub or agendas, considering the targets and climate and nature of American Islamic relations. Or just the fact we are human.

I still find it odd you adhere so stringently to the proper definition of terrorism/terrorist, yet don't think his motives matter and we shouldn't comment on this if anyone has an agenda.

Like I said...redonk.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

How so?

Lol this thread is getting redonk....

It shouldn't surprise you that some people would call this incident terrorism or this man a terrorist. Nor should the media hubub or agendas, considering the targets and climate and nature of American Islamic relations. Or just the fact we are human.

I still find it odd you adhere so stringently to the proper definition of terrorism/terrorist, yet don't think his motives matter and we shouldn't comment on this if anyone has an agenda.

Like I said...redonk.

Wow, you're taking an awful lot of liberties in how you're summarizing what I've said so far.

I've already addressed the problem with equivocation in terms of me saying his motives "don't matter." That wasn't the context I said it in, so please stop trying to re-purpose it.

When did I say that people shouldn't comment if they have an "agenda"? I'm merely offering observations about how some people and entities are applying inappropriate significance to instances like this in order to use it as propaganda in their own sociopolitical crusade, or in the media's case, to sell a politically charged story. Phrasing that as an incredibly vague statement of "you shouldn't comment if you have an 'agenda'" is hardly a fair representation of what I said.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Stone hate crimes are terrorism. Some aren't.

I'd a hate crime was terrorism, the criminal would make it very clear that they killed people sure to their skin color, religion, etc... It's done to send a message.

For this to be terrorism, it would be to terrorize people who want this guys's parking space.

Why do you think it was about a parking space only? You sound certain it was.

I never said, "only".

I think it's about a wacko that has a short temper, a sense of entitlement, and a low self esteem. The parking space probably wasn't the only thing he flies off the handle about.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

FOB, apologies for parsing your thoughts, but still doesn't gel.

You say the charges are irrelevant and this is being used by some to serve their sociopolitical agenda. And classifying this as terrorism or him as a terrorist is a gross exaggeration and complete misnomer.

While all that may well be true, you must have high standards of media, or believe people easily see the world in nuances and shades of grey.

For instance, if the respective ethnicities were reversed would you really throw a b, fit about why fox news is slamming Muslims?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

How so?

Terrorism

: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

How so?

Terrorism

If you want to call all bullies terrorists, then have at it dude. My middle school was pretty much a terrorist training ground.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
C M B wrote:

How so?

Terrorism

If you want to call all bullies terrorists, then have at it dude. My middle school was pretty much a terrorist training ground.

I'm looking for where I called anyone anything. I don't see it. I posted a Merriam Webster definition, dude

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Saudis drinking the Kool Aid now.

http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-condemns-terrorist-killing-us-muslims-135208903.html
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Saudis drinking the Kool Aid now.

http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-condemns-terrorist-killing-us-muslims-135208903.html

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Saudi Arabia on Sunday condemned the killing in North Carolina of three American Muslim college students as a "heinous terrorist" act, and called for an end to incitement against Muslims.

>pay for 9/11
>put Al Qaeda on your tab for >15 years
>probably have PayPal account for ISIS
>hijack Islam to the point at which it is popularly perceived as synonymous with terrorism

>please don't hate Muslims we din du nuffin

Good one, Saudis

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I'm looking for where I called anyone anything. I don't see it. I posted a Merriam Webster definition, dude

Don't be shy, state your point.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't see the need. If you don't agree with what the dictionary defines as terrorism it would be like arguing with a sign post.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
focus wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Stone hate crimes are terrorism. Some aren't.

I'd a hate crime was terrorism, the criminal would make it very clear that they killed people sure to their skin color, religion, etc... It's done to send a message.

For this to be terrorism, it would be to terrorize people who want this guys's parking space.

Why do you think it was about a parking space only? You sound certain it was.

I never said, "only".

I think it's about a wacko that has a short temper, a sense of entitlement, and a low self esteem. The parking space probably wasn't the only thing he flies off the handle about.

You didn't say anything else there but the parking space. For this to be X, it would be Y. Seems straightforward. With your additions of low self esteem and other psych evaluation terms, I am guessing you've read more than I have about all this. But maybe he also flies off the handle about religious types. Someone can be a bigot or antireligion generally and have the parking spot or road rage/whatever spark whatever deep seated feelings of bias they have. Now Im doing the psych eval.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Kinda disagree with you on this one C M B. Going to someones home with a rifle in his hands, another with a pistol on his hip seems to fit the definition of terrorism. If you connect the three, maybe both degrees.

LINK
Quote:

“He would come over to the door, knock on the door and then have a gun on his hip, saying, ‘You guys need to not park here,’ ” Imad Ahmad, the former roommate, told The Associated Press. “He did it again after they got married.”

Quote:
“Right after we left, Yusor heard a knock at the door, and it was Hicks," the friend, Amira Ata, told the media company Fusion. Mr. Hicks complained about extra cars in the neighborhood and of noise from the Risk game, she said. “While he was at the door talking to Yusor, he was holding a rifle, she told me later. He didn’t point it at anyone, but he still had it.”

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't see the need. If you don't agree with what the dictionary defines as terrorism it would be like arguing with a sign post.

And there are multiple definitions, and it's commonly defined and used as a means to enact political change. The definition you cherry-picked even states that it's a systematic use of terror as a means of coercion. Even though that is an incredibly broad definition, I don't necessarily see how it's systematic. If that definition is what terrorism is, and if this guy's use of fear as coercion is systematic, then every schoolyard bully is a terrorist. If you're fine with the logical consequences of that definition being terrorist epidemics in every middle school, then have at it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

And there are multiple definitions, and it's commonly defined and used as a means to enact political change. The definition you cherry-picked even states that it's a systematic use of terror as a means of coercion. Even though that is an incredibly broad definition, I don't necessarily see how it's systematic. If that definition is what terrorism is, and if this guy's use of fear as coercion is systematic, then every schoolyard bully is a terrorist. If you're fine with the logical consequences of that definition being terrorist epidemics in every middle school, then have at it.

OK

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: