What can you tell me about Pasadena?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: What can you tell me about Pasadena?

First, let me begin by saying I am not very familiar with California geography. I know Sacramento is considered north, and LA south, but that is about it. So don't please don't bash me for never having gone to CA.

There is a conference I went to once that I really enjoyed. It was held in Boston last year. I would like to return, and it is being held in Pasadena in November. However, I work for a non-profit, and we are currently about to undergo a construction and renovation phase, and we are trying to scrape together enough money to do this completely and do it well. So I am not feeling good about asking for money just yet. I would love to be paid to go to CA, but we shall see if it happens.

I looked over the conference sessions and it appears interesting. Nothing earth shattering that I would hate myself for not attending. I was more looking forward to the trip than the conference.

But that is what I want to ask. Is Pasadena a decent place to visit, or if I miss out this time, it is no big whoop? Should I go to Pasadena at least once in my life, or is it a city like any other? I am curious what those of you who live near there or who have visited have to say about it.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I go to Pasadena every day... for school. It's really close to Los Angeles, so it's not like you're in the middle of no where. There is a place called Old Town Pasadena where people hang out at night.

Other than that, I really don't have anything good to say about Pasadena. It's a safe city, it has the Rose Parade on New Years Day... but since you're coming in November. Then the Rose Parade won't be mentioned hardly. Who knows? Check out a Laker game if you have time =P
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Pasadena is a nice place. I visit there quite often. It's safe, especially in Old Town. Parking is a b****, and other than Old Town, it's mostly houses...
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Yup, Old Town Pas is quite alright. Nice place to take your date to. The bar hopping scene there gets old after a while though. Summer is the best time, especially at night, to hang out at Old Town. Pasadena is safe. There's a restaurant there, not worthy of mentioning, where the walls are covered and filled with Clippers memorabilia, and anti-Laker mongoloids congregate and chastise any Laker fan who walks into the place. The owner is a big-time Laker hater. Anyways, Pasadena is a nice area. If you end up visiting, have fun.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject:

As far as historical visits of your life go, there are only a couple reasons why you need to visit Pasadena.

The Rose Parade. And if you aren't going to be there on Jan. 1, then you can at least drive the Rose Parade route and pretend like you're in a float.

The Rose Bowl. Check it out, go to a UCLA game if you can. Then you can say you've been to the Rose Bowl.

Little old ladies. Take a picture with one and then you can tell your friends that Jan and Dean were right. It's a good opportunity to argue with them for hours when they claim that it's a Beach Boys song.

JPL. This is a special place. Here you will find the nerd that will make the miscalculation that will cause the next shuttle explosion.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

Yeh like everybody said...
Pasadena...
The Rose Bowl
The Rose Parade
Oldtown Pasadena
Ice House Comedy Club
The Muse
Barney's Beanery
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
The Granada
Parkway Grill, Arroyo Chophouse, Smitty's Grill & Crocodile Cafe
Barcelona
McMurphy's Restaurant & Tavern

just to name a few...
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

"upscale ghetto" as far as the crowds at the bars/clubs in old pasadena.
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

CERISOS AND MI PIACE!!! They're like lounges/clubs you could hit up on the weekends, or thursday nights.

Pasadena is a nice place, the cops are extra strict, so be careful when driving not to do anything illegal.
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

Oh and Hooters, we would usually gang up all the Laker fans last year and watch some games at Hooters
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

yesterday the traffic on the 210 was a pain in the ass.... thats all i can say about freaking pasedena
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
yesterday the traffic on the 210 was a pain in the ass.... thats all i can say about freaking pasedena

Everyday it's a pain the ass, traffic in LA just sucks period, they have to either add more lanes or create over passages.
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
"upscale ghetto" as far as the crowds at the bars/clubs in old pasadena.
Yeah you get alot of people from Northeast L.A.(Highland Park, Lincoln Heights,Glassel Park). Upscale ghetto is a good term. It's a cool place to hang.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What can you tell me about Pasadena?

encina1 wrote:
Is Pasadena a decent place to visit, or if I miss out this time, it is no big whoop? Should I go to Pasadena at least once in my life, or is it a city like any other? I am curious what those of you who live near there or who have visited have to say about it.

encina1 -
If you come out for this conference and stay at a hotel in Pasadena, it's not like you're coming out to "visit Pasadena". Really, you'll be coming out to L.A. - Pasadena is only about 5-10 miles from downtown L.A.

So depending on how long you're out here, you should take the time to take in as much as the city of L.A. has to offer. And yes, L.A. is worth a visit at least once in your life.

L.A. can be difficult to maneuver through and find the right places to go if you don't have friends out here. But, if you do end up making the trip, just update your post and I and all the other LGers will tell you places that you need to check out.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
Yeh like everybody said...
Pasadena...
The Rose Bowl
The Rose Parade
Oldtown Pasadena
Ice House Comedy Club
The Muse
Barney's Beanery
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
The Granada
Parkway Grill, Arroyo Chophouse, Smitty's Grill & Crocodile Cafe
Barcelona
McMurphy's Restaurant & Tavern

just to name a few...

How can you leave out ROSCOES CHICKEN AND WAFFLES! Pasadena has one baby! YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

You can catch a UCLA football game at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena or a UCLA basketball game in Westwood fairly easy. It is a easy drive (would say quick but if you get stuck on the 110 you're cooked) to Staples for the Lakers. I never hang out there though.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:

That's cause you were going 45 in the fast lane with 300 yards between you and the car in front of you. Damn gridlock king!!! I had to go in the carpool lane illegally at about Fair Oaks just to get around you. Damn you!!!!!

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: