Thon maker is going to test the NBAs eligibility rules and declare for the draft

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Thon maker is going to test the NBAs eligibility rules and declare for the draft

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/thon-maker-is-about-to-break-the-nba-s-eligibility-rules-news.20979.html

Per Bleacher Report, the 7-foot tall guard/wing/forward will declare for the draft this year by using his post-graduate year in Canada as a placeholder for his year of college
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

I never even knew this about Canadian high schools until I read a thread on reddit about Thon. Apparently, often times, students that graduate take a "victory lap" the next year to polish up their grades etc.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I never even knew this about Canadian high schools until I read a thread on reddit about Thon. Apparently, often times, students that graduate take a "victory lap" the next year to polish up their grades etc.

I guess this is going to have to play out in the courts
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Happens in quite a few countries.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I don't see why, he is one year beyond his HS class graduating.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Naw. It's governed by the CBA. If the union backs him, he might get some sort of hearing before an arbitrator. The language of the CBA looks pretty clear to me, though.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

It appears to me that he'll win entry to the draft, being over 19 years old. Hell, there's younger kids (even 18 year old kids) leaving college this month to enter the draft this Spring (Bender, Chriss, Ingram and others.)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I read the CBA again. I think he's eligible. I'll quote the relevant provision of the CBA, with my comments and boldface added:

Quote:
Section 1.

Player Eligibility.

(a) No player may sign a Contract or play in the NBA unless he has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) NBA Draft. No player shall be eligible for selection in more than two (2) NBA Drafts.

(b) A player shall be eligible for selection in the first NBA Draft with respect to which he has satisfied all applicable requirements of Section1(b)(i) below and one of the requirements of Section 1(b)(ii) below:

(i) The player (A) is or will be at least nineteen (19) years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held, and (B) with respect to a player who is not an international player (defined below), at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player’s graduation from high school (or, if the player did not graduate from high school, since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school); and *He appears to satisfy this, so he needs to meet just one of the requirements in the next section*

(ii)

(A) The player has graduated from a four-year college or university in the United States (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held) and has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or *Nope*

(B) The player is attending or previously attended a four-year college or university in the United States, his original class in such college or university has graduated (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held), and he has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or *Nope*

(C) The player has graduated from high school in the United States, did not enroll in a four-year college or university in the United States, and four (4)calendar years have elapsed since such player’s high school graduation; or *Nope*

(D) The player did not graduate from high school in the United States, and four (4) calendar years have elapsed since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school; *Nope*or

(E) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located anywhere in the world, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the January 1 immediately preceding such Draft; or *Nope*

(F) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player); or *Yes*

G) If the player is an “international player” (defined below), and notwithstanding anything contained in subsections (A) through (F) above:(1) The player is or will be twenty-two (22) years of age during the calendar year of the Draft; or(2) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located in the United States, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or(3) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player). *Nope*

(c) For purposes of this Article X, an “international player” is a player: (i) who has maintained a permanent residence outside of the United States for at least the three (3) years prior to the Draft, while participating in the game of basketball as an amateur or as a professional outside of the United States; (ii) who has never previously enrolled in a college or university in the United States; and (iii) who did not complete high school in the United States.

(d) For purposes of this Article X, a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” means any team that pays money or compensation of any kind – in excess of a stipend for living expenses – to a basketball player for rendering services to such team.

It looks to me like he is good to go. He is 19. An NBA season has passed since he graduated from high school. He has declared for early entry. Unless there is some question about whether he really graduated from high school, it looks like he should be eligible.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

DO IT MITCH

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

Thong Maker should be the Lakers' next draft pick.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:

I have a feeling if Thon is allowed and we have the first pick Jim will choose Ben Simmons over him. I think Nance is a developing PF that will be good if not great given the chance. Thon is a player I think we can build around. We have a good core, let it develop.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:

I knew this was gonna happen

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/thon-maker.jpg
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I still don't see what the issue is, AH broke down the NBA's rules via the CBA very well, I don't see any way the NBA could fight him. Or why they would even want to.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I still don't see what the issue is, AH broke down the NBA's rules via the CBA very well, I don't see any way the NBA could fight him. Or why they would even want to.

If the owners have their way they'll do another CP3, Howard block.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

Thon Maker reportedly ruled eligible for 2016 NBA Draft

LINK

I'm of the school the Lakers made a mistake by not taking Jahlil Okafor with the second pick last season.

If Maker is available with our pick and if there's a choice between Simmons and Maker, I hope they choose Maker.

Simmons's shown promise. He's been more exposed because of his college experience. He may be a more immediate impact.

Maker is probably more of a project. He really has no proven stage but I think will have the bigger impact in the long run.

I'd take the gamble with Thon.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK

I'm of the school the Lakers made a mistake by not taking Jahlil Okafor with the second pick last season.

If Maker is available with our pick and if there's a choice between Simmons and Maker, I hope they choose Maker.

Simmons's shown promise. He's been more exposed because of his college experience. He may be a more immediate impact.

Maker is probably more of a project. He really has no proven stage but I think will have the bigger impact in the long run.

If you look at the Lakers roster, they have plenty of time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

If you look at the Lakers roster, they have plenty of time.

I like the young core. Nance Jr., Russell, Randle, Clarkson, Brown, a mix of veterans, Black, Williams. Add Maker give the unit a chance to develop. I say in three, four years, maybe less, we should be a contender. Remember we have money and space to add quality FA.

DO IT MITCH!!!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: