Thank you Byron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
SMH at all of these comments... Some of you guys can't see the forest for the trees. And all you care about is winning--not the process. And that's a shame. Because there is beauty in the process, and in growth. Its like watching a baby go from crawling to walking... to running.

I can only assume from the comments that the VAST VAST majority of the posters on here just don't get it, so I'll make it simple for you guys (and gals):

The Lakers' primary objective over these past two years was to shed salary, ride Kobe off into the sunset, see a return on their investment in Kobe, & to keep their picks. Contrary to public belief, this is all CALCULATED. Not the result of incompetence.

Since that time, they've done all of that, with the false pretense to the public that they were somehow, still going to compete, yet never admitting that they were ... REBUILDING. With a capital R. Which is the problem. People aren't willing to accept that we're rebuilding, so they blame it all on incompetence of Jim. Incompetence of Mitch. Incompetence of Jeannie. Incompetence of Byron Scott. And Magic hasn't made it any better.

Byron Scott's job wasn't to win games... It was to LOSE them. Cuz although the Lakers would never admit it, the only way to keep the draft picks was to LOSE.

And although they may not have said it explicitly to Scott, the Lakers front office ENSURED we would lose by trotting out such LUMINARIES as Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Roy Hibbert, Ryan Kelly, and Robert Sacre, to name a few. And 20 year old rookies. And rookies in general.

So, when you question the system Scott ran, or question his substitutions, or even when you bring up his "team statistics in Cleveland", realize that B Scott's job here & with Cleveland was the same: to develop toughness in young players, and acclimate them to NBA life. Not necessarily to win games. Conversely, two of the all-time greats, Phil Jackson and Pop, both HATE rookies. Because they know they could cost them their job. If either PJ or Pop were here, realize that Russell, Randle, Nance, Brown, Clarkson, and Huertas would be riding the end of the bench. And you'd all be complaining about THAT too.

Rookies don't win in the NBA. Its a fact. In fact, IF we don't get some LEGITIMATE veterans next year, we'll lose next year too. It's just part of the learning curve.

On the other hand, it's also a known fact that we don't have talent. What would you all say if we JUUSST made the playoffs as the #8 seed, with no picks to show for it? Would you rather have a playoff appearance than Julius Randle? #8 seed rather than D'Angelo Russell? Then you'd be saying how stupid Scott/Jim/Mitch/Jeannie was for letting us win so many games, and costing us our future.... lol

So, I'll be one of the few... Thanks Byron Scott: you laid your neck on the line when the Laker Nation was at its worst. You sacrificed your reputation in a hopeless situation, to act as bridge between eras. And some us, albeit a few, RECOGNIZE THE REAL, and are thankful.

peace.

Maybe you should have shared your insight with the Lakers front office. It seems the VP of BB Ops believed that despite your plan, it would only take 3 years to compete at a high level.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
What was Magic going to say, that Byron sucked? Magic also sucked as a coach, it would border on hypocritical to call his former peer and teammate out. I don't think it mattered anyway, as anyone level-headed realized that Byron was finished, the only question remained was the timing.

On that note, Magic was also a wonderful player but sucked as a coach. I seems that many effective coaches were in fact mediocre players. Perhaps it has to do with having limited gifts (lack of height, athleticism, skills, etc.). When you're limited, you need to develop the mental aspect of the game to survive. That mental aspect probably carries over to coaching.

Magic sucked as a coach. Sure.

But, he admitted he sucked and stated that he couldn't deal with the young generation and he stepped aside.

Pre ESPN, Magic was a very smart and honest guy. Truly a GOAT on and off the Court.

Byron, on the other hand, sucks worse than Magic considering the fact that hes been coaching for so many years and failing to improve. In fact, hes regressing.

But my problem, with Byron, was his failure to see his flaws and improve choosing to instead blame our younger guys. This is very different than Magic.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
SMH at all of these comments... Some of you guys can't see the forest for the trees. And all you care about is winning--not the process. And that's a shame. Because there is beauty in the process, and in growth. Its like watching a baby go from crawling to walking... to running.

I can only assume from the comments that the VAST VAST majority of the posters on here just don't get it, so I'll make it simple for you guys (and gals):

The Lakers' primary objective over these past two years was to shed salary, ride Kobe off into the sunset, see a return on their investment in Kobe, & to keep their picks. Contrary to public belief, this is all CALCULATED. Not the result of incompetence.

Since that time, they've done all of that, with the false pretense to the public that they were somehow, still going to compete, yet never admitting that they were ... REBUILDING. With a capital R. Which is the problem. People aren't willing to accept that we're rebuilding, so they blame it all on incompetence of Jim. Incompetence of Mitch. Incompetence of Jeannie. Incompetence of Byron Scott. And Magic hasn't made it any better.

Byron Scott's job wasn't to win games... It was to LOSE them. Cuz although the Lakers would never admit it, the only way to keep the draft picks was to LOSE.

And although they may not have said it explicitly to Scott, the Lakers front office ENSURED we would lose by trotting out such LUMINARIES as Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Roy Hibbert, Ryan Kelly, and Robert Sacre, to name a few. And 20 year old rookies. And rookies in general.

So, when you question the system Scott ran, or question his substitutions, or even when you bring up his "team statistics in Cleveland", realize that B Scott's job here & with Cleveland was the same: to develop toughness in young players, and acclimate them to NBA life. Not necessarily to win games. Conversely, two of the all-time greats, Phil Jackson and Pop, both HATE rookies. Because they know they could cost them their job. If either PJ or Pop were here, realize that Russell, Randle, Nance, Brown, Clarkson, and Huertas would be riding the end of the bench. And you'd all be complaining about THAT too.

Rookies don't win in the NBA. Its a fact. In fact, IF we don't get some LEGITIMATE veterans next year, we'll lose next year too. It's just part of the learning curve.

On the other hand, it's also a known fact that we don't have talent. What would you all say if we JUUSST made the playoffs as the #8 seed, with no picks to show for it? Would you rather have a playoff appearance than Julius Randle? #8 seed rather than D'Angelo Russell? Then you'd be saying how stupid Scott/Jim/Mitch/Jeannie was for letting us win so many games, and costing us our future.... lol

So, I'll be one of the few... Thanks Byron Scott: you laid your neck on the line when the Laker Nation was at its worst. You sacrificed your reputation in a hopeless situation, to act as bridge between eras. And some us, albeit a few, RECOGNIZE THE REAL, and are thankful.

peace.

Right, because you can't rebuild/ tank and also teach young players how to play.

Nice false dichotomy, strawman argument, etc
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Also the shrewd strategy of giving yourself a deadline whilst secretly planning a tank-job. Brilliant! They'll never see it coming!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

The Lakers' primary objective over these past two years was to shed salary, ride Kobe off into the sunset, see a return on their investment in Kobe, & to keep their picks. Contrary to public belief, this is all CALCULATED. Not the result of incompetence.Its like watching a baby go from crawling to walking... to running.

peace.

Well I don't like kids...I never have. In fact I wish I was born 18. Nor do I have much paitence. Hey, I understand where you're coming from but I think you're giving this FO led by Jimbo too much credit. The way I see it, after Dwight left, their inability to sign a FA left them scrambling trying to find someone to bring in to calm the fans. So they reached for Byron hoping that we'd be in nostalgia mode seeing him on the sidelines. It backfired and as a result Byron has sacrificed a bit of his legacy as a Laker. I'm tired of all of my childhood idols taking a hit because of this FO. It's like when they knew they were going to suck and they brought in Jordan Farmar and Vuvacic...another pathetic attempt to get us to focus on the good old days. Enough if this crap! This is not a rebuild. We are getting worse and worse every year. Don't let the FO pull the wool over your eyes. Rebuilding is what the celtics are doing because they havee a legit shot at going to the 2nd round of the playoffs. We are failing, that's what we're doing.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

peace.

exactly. and it would take someone like byron to do it. a man who made his name on a legendary Laker team and owes everything to that. So he's perfect for playing this role...helping the team regain its status as much as possible. I have no complaints about byron. He did his job and did it well. He did the same as a role player on Showtime, despite his playoff reputation.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

Well I don't like kids...I never have. In fact I wish I was born 18. Nor do I have much paitence. Hey, I understand where you're coming from but I think you're giving this FO led by Jimbo too much credit. The way I see it, after Dwight left, their inability to sign a FA left them scrambling trying to find someone to bring in to calm the fans. So they reached for Byron hoping that we'd be in nostalgia mode seeing him on the sidelines. It backfired and as a result Byron has sacrificed a bit of his legacy as a Laker. I'm tired of all of my childhood idols taking a hit because of this FO. It's like when they knew they were going to suck and they brought in Jordan Farmar and Vuvacic...another pathetic attempt to get us to focus on the good old days. Enough if this crap! This is not a rebuild. We are getting worse and worse every year. Don't let the FO pull the wool over your eyes. Rebuilding is what the celtics are doing because they havee a legit shot at going to the 2nd round of the playoffs. We are failing, that's what we're doing.

Right. Apparently win/loss is all that matters in a rebuild? The Nets must be ahead of the Lakers in terms of the rebuild.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Don't thank him yet. May 17th will be the day we thank him or want to kill him.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the 2 years of effort, Byron. You weren't the total sum of the problems the Lakers have had, but unfortunately, you were not a part of any salvageable solution either.

Your past tenure as a great Laker player is beyond reproach, and shall not be diminished in any way by your lackluster performance as a Laker coach. Best wishes to you and yours, moving forward.

LAKERS!!!

ZOOM!!!!!!
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Tanks for the memories!

Bye.

I appreciate Byron

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

peace.

This is the dumbest goddamned thing I've read in some time. Past is prologue and Byron's past always lead to this ending. Has Byron ever resigned from a job? Nope. Has Byron been ran out of town by players, Jason Kidd and Chris Paul, or management? Every. Single. Time. Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to thank Byron for retarding the growth of the future to stroke the ego of a future hall of famer. I'm supposed to thank him for burning the youth so Kobe's feelings could be preserved on his way out? I'm supposed to be thankful for two dismal seasons wherein I wasted money on a team that was built to lose rather than compete. I'm supposed to thank him for being in on lying to countless Laker fans? Oh that's right he's just a patsy. (bleep) off for saying we should be appreciative of incompetence. If I see Byron on the street I'll be sure to tell him he sucks and his Morningside diploma isn't worth the paper it was printed on and if the tough guy decides to treat me like Mychal Thompson I'll repeat that factoid to him in court when I take his dumb ass to the cleaners. It takes quite the pair of balls to get on here and defend 38 wins in two seasons. It takes a staggering level of delusion to defend a teamwide regression over the past two years. Byron didn't teach a thing about toughness because if he did the team wouldn't of quit on him in consecutive years. He taught a college level course on how to lose the room and build resentment though. So what, the majority of us are stupid, or foolish, and the enlightened few you represent are in tuned with the FO's master plan? What in the blue hell have the FO done to make you believe they have the wherewithal to engage in such skullduggery? If they were that forward thinking why would they have put the picks at risk to be lost in the first place? Byron may be smarter than me in basketball but right now our NBA employment status is the same so (bleep) him, the horse he rode in on, his plastic ass girlfriend and everyone down with him. This is a what have you done for me lately town and no one is exempt from contempt. Byron has done nothing in the last decade to deserve any type of benefit of the doubt. Nothing. Yet you go out of your way to defend his ineptitude, his lack of basic communication skills (and based on that bull (bleep) contract he signed, negotiating skills), his abysmal leadership style (can the absence of something be considered a "skill"?), his complete incompetence regarding modern basketball concepts and principles and his glaring disregard for the place of analytics in modern basketball. I truly hope Byron was paying you by the word for that diatribe because if that was the case I could see something other than red the next time I stumble across that misguided screed you punched up and posted. Seriously, if what you posted was correct you're essentially saying we should be thanking Byron Scott for wasting all our time and money. We should be thanking him for deliberate disrespect. Where I'm from, just up Crenshaw from the subject of our piece, the best you can expect from disrespect is, let's call it, an exchange of hands. I'll never thank someone for wasting my time, money and insulting my intelligence. I have more regard for myself than that and you should too. His performance was unacceptable and his continued employment was untenable. That's why he's out on his ass and will probably never coach again. Good riddance and now he's got plenty of time to hit the links at Chester Washington's golf course.

(bleep) him.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:

peace.

This is the dumbest goddamned thing I've read in some time. Past is prologue and Byron's past always lead to this ending. Has Byron ever resigned from a job? Nope. Has Byron been ran out of town by players, Jason Kidd and Chris Paul, or management? Every. Single. Time. Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to thank Byron for retarding the growth of the future to stroke the ego of a future hall of famer. I'm supposed to thank him for burning the youth so Kobe's feelings could be preserved on his way out? I'm supposed to be thankful for two dismal seasons wherein I wasted money on a team that was built to lose rather than compete. I'm supposed to thank him for being in on lying to countless Laker fans? Oh that's right he's just a patsy. (bleep) off for saying we should be appreciative of incompetence. If I see Byron on the street I'll be sure to tell him he sucks and his Morningside diploma isn't worth the paper it was printed on and if the tough guy decides to treat me like Mychal Thompson I'll repeat that factoid to him in court when I take his dumb ass to the cleaners. It takes quite the pair of balls to get on here and defend 38 wins in two seasons. It takes a staggering level of delusion to defend a teamwide regression over the past two years. Byron didn't teach a thing about toughness because if he did the team wouldn't of quit on him in consecutive years. He taught a college level course on how to lose the room and build resentment though. So what, the majority of us are stupid, or foolish, and the enlightened few you represent are in tuned with the FO's master plan? What in the blue hell have the FO done to make you believe they have the wherewithal to engage in such skullduggery? If they were that forward thinking why would they have put the picks at risk to be lost in the first place? Byron may be smarter than me in basketball but right now our NBA employment status is the same so (bleep) him, the horse he rode in on, his plastic ass girlfriend and everyone down with him. This is a what have you done for me lately town and no one is exempt from contempt. Byron has done nothing in the last decade to deserve any type of benefit of the doubt. Nothing. Yet you go out of your way to defend his ineptitude, his lack of basic communication skills (and based on that bull (bleep) contract he signed, negotiating skills), his abysmal leadership style (can the absence of something be considered a "skill"?), his complete incompetence regarding modern basketball concepts and principles and his glaring disregard for the place of analytics in modern basketball. I truly hope Byron was paying you by the word for that diatribe because if that was the case I could see something other than red the next time I stumble across that misguided screed you punched up and posted. Seriously, if what you posted was correct you're essentially saying we should be thanking Byron Scott for wasting all our time and money. We should be thanking him for deliberate disrespect. Where I'm from, just up Crenshaw from the subject of our piece, the best you can expect from disrespect is, let's call it, an exchange of hands. I'll never thank someone for wasting my time, money and insulting my intelligence. I have more regard for myself than that and you should too. His performance was unacceptable and his continued employment was untenable. That's why he's out on his ass and will probably never coach again. Good riddance and now he's got plenty of time to hit the links at Chester Washington's golf course.

(bleep) him.

Agreed but please use paragraphs.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:

peace.

(bleep) him.

All I can say is, you're right about the paragraphs and I apologize.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
I.....just can't do it. Not yet. Maybe in a few million years.

Your sig is weird. Why are we angry at Worthy now?

Worthy was shilling for Byron all season, it was so ridiculous and dishonest. Worthy and Byron and crew accused DAntoni of being stubborn and forcing his ways even though they credited the Lakers success to the players going around him and playing their own style. Yet they give Byron full credit for his success when Kidd and Chris Paul were running the show for him. They accused DAntoni of not teaching defense and when Byrons team played horrible defense, they said it was just the players not trying. There was no consistency or accountability.

Even after Byron was shown the door, Worthy was taking shots at DAntoni still instead of admitting his buddy was much worse.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Byron for being so abysmal a coach, we had to look elsewhere.

Had you done better, we might not have Luke today!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Never took the concept of Bscott being so many Laker fans former player and idol - never understood that perspective. But now with Luke being hired I get it. It makes me smile that Luke, a former Laker that I watched in my teens is now our coach. So,sorry to Laker fans for never trying to understand that perspective. Peace and uh Harmony to Bscott.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:

peace.

(bleep) him.

All I can say is, you're right about the paragraphs and I apologize.

Damn, you guys wrote a couple of novels there. Hope I'm done read them by Monday!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: