OFFICIAL Lakers 2016 NBA Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 755, 756, 757 ... 1138, 1139, 1140  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Ingram is long as a mofo though. That's elite length. That kind of length goes a long way in compensating for lack of strength. Also, despite being thin hes definitely not afraid of contact. He engages his base and butt really well from what I've seen in footages. He knows how to utilize his bony frame. I think he's actually heavier than kd, perhaps not in actual body weight but in physicality. Kd is light. Ingram is skinny but not light.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm confused on Ingram's three point shooting. On numbers alone, he looks great at 41% on solid volume. Durant shot a slightly lower percentage on similar volume at Texas, but if you look at the DX comparison vids, they give the impression that Durant is a significantly better shooter. I've seen some breakdowns on Ingram's form and he brings the ball to his shoulder rather than top of head, which negates his height advantage. His FT shooting needs to improve significantly.

Long story short, what's wrong with his shooting, as compared to say Durant at the same age? How does this translate to games, given that Ingram shot a higher overall 3pt percentage?
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
2019 wrote:
15 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
Chris Mannix ✔ ‎@ChrisMannixYS
Brandon Ingram (@B_Ingram13) putting in work

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/737679787452469249

He kinda looks like Karl Anthony Towns a lil bit.

Wow Ingram looks really frail. Doesn't concern me that much tho. Reggie Miller was also skinny but one of the greatest shooters ever

Funny how every shat all over D'LO for not having an NBA body yet he is 4 inches shorter than Ingram and weights the same weight.

Ingram is scary skinny. That will very well change over time but for now, it's a major hurdle he needs to overcome. He will be getting bullied by other SF's.

Anyway, he's as sure a Laker as possible an barring Bender coming in and crushing whatever Mitch puts him through, BI is wearing a purple and gold hat come draft night.

Yep. I wouldn't mind putting BI as a SG instead of SF.
Agreed, rookie year at least. I'd like to add a starting SF in free agency that can defend the 2 position or the 3. That way, Ingram can be placed on the inferior opposing wing player every night. I imagine he generally defends the 3 position better than the 2.
LakerLuke
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject:

If we draft Ingram, he's playing the 3 with rookie flaws and all. Dlo and Clarkson are the backcourt.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject:

Ingram will see more time at the 4 than the 2, and rightfully so. Harrison Barnes, Paul Pierce, Wesley Johnson, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Mirza Teletovic, & Rudy Gay all got between spot minutes to significant minutes at the 4 this year, and that's just in the Pacific Division. You don't put him up against bruisers, but there are a lot of stretch-4's that I wouldn't mind putting him up against early on.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject:

Kris Dunn locking up Nick Johnson, and then the airball at the end. This dude is so quick and long, I think he's going to terrorize PGs.

Poeltl showed versatility in his workout. College coaches always confine players man, i hate it. Saw him do a couple euro steps in season, he would be very good in Lukes system playing the Bogut role as DribbleHandoff/passer at top of the key. Would have been an option at #3.

ahhh Brandon Ingram, can't wait to have you.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2016/5/31/11821862/la-lakers-draft-rumors-brandon-ingram-instagram#

I like the fact that he's not wearing a laker jersey yet, that boy ain't trying to jinx it.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
I'm confused on Ingram's three point shooting. On numbers alone, he looks great at 41% on solid volume. Durant shot a slightly lower percentage on similar volume at Texas, but if you look at the DX comparison vids, they give the impression that Durant is a significantly better shooter. I've seen some breakdowns on Ingram's form and he brings the ball to his shoulder rather than top of head, which negates his height advantage. His FT shooting needs to improve significantly.

Long story short, what's wrong with his shooting, as compared to say Durant at the same age? How does this translate to games, given that Ingram shot a higher overall 3pt percentage?

Justise Winslow also shot over 41% from 3-point range at Duke (.418 to be exact), and I think most draft "experts" didn't think he would be much of a 3-point shooter in the NBA, at least not right away. Sure enough, Winslow only shot .276 from 3 in his rookie year. I think Ingram is a better shooter than Winslow, but I also think that it's unlikely that he cracks 35% as a rookie. It's just an adjustment for rookies. Hell, even Dlo was bricking 3-pointers for 2-3 months, and I feel like he's going to be a great 3-point shooter in a year or two.

Durant shot only 29% in his rookie year, but has been significantly better ever since (one season of 35%, one of 37%, and every other season at least 39%).

Lastly, one of the reasons I'm so high on Russell is because he followed up .411 3-point shooting in college--basically equal to Winslow and Ingram and Durant in college--with a .351 mark in the NBA as a rookie. That is a fantastic showing for an NBA rookie.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:

Raw numerical comparisons are misleading, you need to consider volume, quality of look, etc. Kobe was a below-average shooter by percentage, but it's not like he was actually a poor 3 point shooter. Actually, maybe give Simpson's Paradox a quick look on Wiki. But I'll illustrate for you what it says.

Let's suppose Ingram and Durant only took two kinds of 3s: spot up and ISO.

Ingram shoots 45% from 3 on spot ups, and he shoots 25% on ISO. But 80% of his 3s are spot ups. What is his 3FG%? Well, 80% * 45% + 20% * 25% = 41%.

Durant shoots 50% from 3 on spot ups, and 35% on ISO. But 60% of his 3s are ISO. What's his 3FG%? Doing a similar calculation, you get... 41%.

But we see Durant is both a better 3 point shooter off spot ups, as well as off the ISO. He just had a heavier burden and shot more contested 3s. The raw 3FG% tells you what someone shoots on 3s, but it doesn't tell you the distribution of what 3s they shoot and how they shoot on each kind of 3. That's more important when you're considering how someone's shooting will translate over.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dao wrote:

Raw numerical comparisons are misleading, you need to consider volume, quality of look, etc. Kobe was a below-average shooter by percentage, but it's not like he was actually a poor 3 point shooter. Actually, maybe give Simpson's Paradox a quick look on Wiki. But I'll illustrate for you what it says.

Ingram shoots 45% from 3 on spot ups, and he shoots 25% on ISO. But 80% of his 3s are spot ups. What is his 3FG%? Well, 80% * 45% + 20% * 25% = 41%.

Durant shoots 50% from 3 on spot ups, and 35% on ISO. But 60% of his 3s are ISO. What's his 3FG%? Doing a similar calculation, you get... 41%.

But we see Durant is both a better 3 point shooter off spot ups, as well as off the ISO. He just had a heavier burden and shot more contested 3s. The raw 3FG% tells you what someone shoots on 3s, but it doesn't tell you the distribution of what 3s they shoot and how they shoot on each kind of 3. That's more important when you're considering how someone's shooting will translate over.

Good stuff tox, as usual.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Ingram will see more time at the 4 than the 2, and rightfully so. Harrison Barnes, Paul Pierce, Wesley Johnson, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Mirza Teletovic, & Rudy Gay all got between spot minutes to significant minutes at the 4 this year, and that's just in the Pacific Division. You don't put him up against bruisers, but there are a lot of stretch-4's that I wouldn't mind putting him up against early on.

I know they're gonna try to run Randle/Nance at the 5. Do you think they can also play the 3, do they have the foot speed? I know jumpers lacking currently. Curious if Nance/Randle/simmgram can be our front court small ball line up like Draymond/Igoudala/Barnes, and just have them switch on almost every picks
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject:

Ingram just shot 60% from in that workout video,

he is going to be the goat!! lol
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dao wrote:

High IQ post. Logic makes me happy!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://youtu.be/rbPp53VBdWk?t=1m42s Kris Dunn locking up Nick Johnson, and then the airball at the end. This dude is so quick and long, I think he's going to terrorize PGs.

I enjoy these workout videos from McLean's camp a lot more than the ones I see coming out of NY. They seem more competitive and McLean seems like he's getting the potential draftees to really push themselves and display skills scouts might consider weaknesses. I saw this last year with Karl Anthony Towns' workouts at McLean's camp where he showcased some incredible handles and the ability shoot off the dribble.

The workout videos I've seen coming out of NY are mostly guys taking a lot of uncontested jumpshots and some soft post work. The workout video of Thon Maker was a joke and didn't take much away from it. Granted, these may just be DX's edits but why edit the NY ones differently than the LA ones?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

Just watched buddy's new workout video and interview on DX...I'm not going to lie I'm impressed...and I'm a believer. Can't wait to see what he does In The NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Just watched buddy's new workout video and interview on DX...I'm not going to lie I'm impressed...and I'm a believer. Can't wait to see what he does In The NBA.

At worst he'll be a more athletic JJ Reddick, which is a really nice player in the NBA.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

At worst he'll be a more athletic JJ Reddick, which is a really nice player in the NBA.

Seems to be the case. I kind of hope he doesn't go to minny. That team is already stacked enough
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

Buddy is going to have a nice career. Straight fire with his shot
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Yes, he should be able to close out on stretch 4's and bother them with his length. 9' 1.5" standing reach!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
LakerLuke
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

Hield > Ingram
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/738031922052497408

ben simmons threes and stuff
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

LakerLuke wrote:
Hield > Ingram

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

He got that ugly Lebron stroke.
I guess if he can be as streaky as Lebron is from deep, it's good enough.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Yes, he should be able to close out on stretch 4's and bother them with his length. 9' 1.5" standing reach!

In year 1? I'd be surprised.
But we'll see.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

He got that ugly Lebron stroke.
I guess if he can be as streaky as Lebron is from deep, it's good enough.

If he's hitting that shot...idk if this class is even a two man race anymore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 755, 756, 757 ... 1138, 1139, 1140  Next
Page 756 of 1140
Jump to: