Does Garnett have a "No Trade" clause in his contract?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaius
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Does Garnett have a "No Trade" clause in his contract?

If he does, then Minnesota can only trade him if he approves of the trade. The Timberwolves could find themselves in a situation similar to where we were a couple of years ago with Shaq. When Shaq demanded to be traded a couple of years ago, Mitch wanted to trade Shaq to Indiana for Jermaine, but Shaq only would approve of 3 places: Sacramento, Dallas and Miami. Those teams knew that they had a one-up on the Lakers management so none of them would part with their top players, let alone the Lakers make a trade within their own conference.

Basically what I'm saying is that if Garnett has a "No Trade" clause in his contract, then he can basically force a trade to any team that he wants without forcing that team to do anything but match salaries.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

There's a trade kicker (there is no "no trade" clause) and at one time people thought he'd have to waive it to make a trade financially possible, but I think that's not the case per multiple long discussion threads from this past offseason. Hence, no "no trade" clause.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

Shaq didnt have a no-trade clause, but he said he would not report in a palce he didnt like, by so, making the trade fall apart. Kobe is the only player with a no-trade clause right now in the NBA.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

Umm Shaq didnt have a no trade clause in his contract at the time when we dealt him to the Heat.Mitch's main objective was to trade Shaq to the Eastern Conf so that we wouldnt have to face him 4 times a year if we traded him to a Western Conf team.Which is stupid.We couldnt have gotten a lot more for Shaq if we had seriously talked to Dallas Cuban would have bit and taken the bait.I totaly agree with VTB that the Shaq trade was the worst in NBA history.

KG I do know has a clause in his contract where he can opt out of his contarct in the summer of 2007.
Zaius
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the info.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

Since we got into the trrade talk, I do agree it was dumb, Id trade him for expiring K's and picks, and then go after Ray Allen and Ilgauskas in the offaseason.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

Let's clear this up.

1. As someone said, KG does not have a no-trade clause. Kobe is currently the only player in the league with a negotiated no-trade clause, although several players have other forms of trade restrictions.

2. KG does have a trade bonus, and this bonus was a major issue over the summer. The league & players association screwed up when they drafted the new CBA. A player's salary plus trade bonus cannot exceed the max salary. In the old CBA, the player had to consent to waiving the bonus if he was traded. The league hated this tacit trade veto authority, so they made the waiver automatic -- but only for new (2005 or later) contracts. The screwup was that the existing (2004 & earlier) contracts weren't dealt with correctly, and the CBA was written in such a way that these players couldn't be traded at all. When this came up over the summer, the leauge & players assocation reached a compromise -- the player CAN be traded, and he just gets his entire bonus (i.e., player veto is nullified). The league said they'd rather the player get the money (which technically, he was never intended to have) then to have a tacit no-trade authority. This only affected a small handfull of players -- Garnett, Kobe (who has a negotiated no-trade clause anyway), Brand, Duncan and Nowitzki.

So KG has a big trade bonus (owed by the receiving team in a lump sum if he's traded), but he can't use it to control any trade.

3. KG has an ETO in his contract (similar to an option), but it's in 2008, not 2007.

4. Shaq did not threaten not to report, but he did drop hints that it might be time for some surgery right before the season, depending on where he ended up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I mean seriously however the plan goes KG is a free agent next year. If the Lakers could score Garnett how sweet would that be. Even more sweeter that we wouldn't have to give up Lamar up. Kobe,Lamar, and Kevin???????Seriously we will have a championship. Or three or so .
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

KingKobeDubbz wrote:
I mean seriously however the plan goes KG is a free agent next year.

Well, so much for my attempt to clear things up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

It's good Larry.

I understand what you are saying.

Some people just can't read properly.

Thanks for all the information. It's pathetic that ESPN has it wrong and you have it right despite them being paid to know those sort of things.

KG has an ETO in 2008 along with Timmy.

JO is a FA that year as well as Brand.

So that's 4 bigs right there. Then there's the 2008 draftclass of Howard and Emeka.

At this point - it looks very deep in bigman talent.
lakers4peat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

Hoopsworld got it all wrong as well.

NBA rumor mill: KG's last stand

On the other hand, if an opt out is to be expected after the 07/08 season, the T'wolves might be better off considering a trade beforehand.

There are three most likely occasions for such a trade. Trade deadline 07, summer 07 and trade deadline 08.

With the roster as of now, the T'wolves might even consider entering something like the "Oden sweepstakes".

Hoopsworld could have a point, there.
"[...] the Celtics coach squinted closer and understood that these [misses] weren’t nerves. “It was because of that big [expletive] running around". [...] It was Bynum. Andrew Bynum. Yes, he changes everything."
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shaq didnt have a no-trade clause, but he said he would not report in a palce he didnt like, by so, making the trade fall apart. Kobe is the only player with a no-trade clause right now in the NBA.

morning did that with the Raptor and the league vowed to survey that kind of attitudes from closer range.

Anyway, why would you pay millions to someone who doesn't wanna play in your team?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: