Mary Tyler Moore dead

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Mary Tyler Moore dead

Mary Tyler Moore dead at 80
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Wonderfully talented and beautiful woman.

RIP
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

She always struck me as innocent. RIP

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

RIP
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Damn RIP.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Looking back, I don't know how I found a lot of the old shows they showed on nick at night so watchable (as a kid,) but I did watch the MTM show quite a bit. Sad, she was a lovely woman, as far as I could tell.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

She could take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

She and Judd Hirsch were good in Ordinary People, which was the movie that won the Oscar for 1980 over Raging Bull. That is one depressing movie, but it was one of many examples of presumably low-rate TV actors showing they could do well on the big screen (Hanks, Robin W, DeVito, Michael Douglas, Travolta in SNF if nothing else, many more).
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

An icon not many people can have one successful TV show she had two.

She had a lot of tragedy in her life outliving both her siblings as well as her son.

May she finally RIP.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
She and Judd Hirsch were good in Ordinary People, which was the movie that won the Oscar for 1980 over Raging Bull. That is one depressing movie, but it was one of many examples of presumably low-rate TV actors showing they could do well on the big screen (Hanks, Robin W, DeVito, Michael Douglas, Travolta in SNF if nothing else, many more).

I know that "Ordinary People" came out in 1980, and the first time I saw it was sometime around 1990. It was shown in class as a school movie. This was my first exposure to Mary Tyler Moore, as I was completely unaware of her TV career and what she had done there. I hated the movie because it was so depressing and boring, and I came away convinced that she was this heartless, cold person in real life. Of course, over the years, I would discover that she was anything but. So for her to pull off playing a woman like that so convincingly, well, it just shows how incredibly talented she was. I can't say that I've even seen episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show or The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but I know they are 2 of the most beloved TV programs ever.

She also did a lot of charity work, and was an advocate for not just diabetes research, but also for animal rights causes, something after my own heart. Talent, beauty (I agree wholeheartedly with DMR there), and charity...I think that's a life very well-lived, indeed. RIP, Ms. Moore.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I can't say that I've even seen episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show or The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but I know they are 2 of the most beloved TV programs ever.

She also did a lot of charity work, and was an advocate for not just diabetes research, but also for animal rights causes, something after my own heart. Talent, beauty (I agree wholeheartedly with DMR there), and charity...I think that's a life very well-lived, indeed. RIP, Ms. Moore.

I watched a lot of both shows when I was a kid, particularly The MTM Show. It was one of those shows that we would watch as a family when it was on in Primetime. It was one of those groundbreaking shows like "All in the Family" & "M*A*S*H" in that it was ahead of it's time as far as the issues it covered, while still being extremely funny.

Even as a kid, I realized that in a TV show world filled with Mrs. Cleavers, Mrs. Cunninghams, Mrs. Waltons and even Mrs. Bradys, that Mary Richards (Moore's role) was a very different type of female character on TV - a single professional woman making her way working in a man's world. I honestly feel The MTM show is one of the things that helped lay the early groundwork for my understanding that there was much more to women than simply being a mom and that they were independent individuals who had a whole lot more going on than being wives and mothers. And I think that one of the reasons a show like that was something that would hold the attention of a relatively young boy was the fact that Moore was such a sharp, funny woman with an obvious spark that it would lead you to have a crush on an "older" lady before you even were old enough to realize what that even was.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: