Ball Brothers Sign With Lithuanian Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9765

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Are they actually selling a significant number of shoes? I keep asking this question, and so far no one really seems to know. Someone cited an estimate that they had sold 500 pairs of shoes, or something along those lines.

Maybe he's good at generating free publicity, but if you aren't selling anything, you aren't a marketing genius.


I think people confuse marketing and publicity....he appears to be very good at obtaining publicity....but there is no evidence that he has had substantial success at marketing.
incorrect. how much money even outside of zo's laker millions do you think lavar is worth now on his own? vs what he was worth pre lavar all in marketing(big mouthing.)

you talk about shoes. I'm talking about everything that he's getting paid to do in relation to him running his mouth aka marketing the BBB, himself, or the kids.

so i stick with the other persons point. he's a marketing genius. because he has had money coming in due to his marketing skills. shoes, bbb clothing, popping up on every other show, getting his kids to play ball overseas while the cameras follow him out there.The reality show and whatever else he's getting that we dont know about.oh the WWE appearance. etc. etc.

Lavar doing really well, marketing genius indeed:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22450175/los-angeles-lakers-star-lonzo-ball-caught-famous-father-team

Quote:
Each episode of “Ball in the Family,” which is now in its second season, has drawn over 1.2 million views, with individual episode highs of 26.8 million for the first-season premiere, 10.2 million for the second-season premiere, and 14.9 million for an episode with Lonzo’s birthday party. There is also a private Facebook group devoted to the show with nearly 29,000 members. While there is no word about a third season yet, Season 2 was just extended to 24 episodes, which will run longer (approximately 20-25 minutes vs. 15-20 minutes) than previous episodes, based on viewer feedback. In short, fans wanted more of the Ball family.

This kind of brand value and stickiness is incredibly valuable online. Facebook used the show to launch its new Watch platform in August, and it has easily been one of the most successful shows thus far. It is fast-paced, funny and heartfelt at times, and it’s produced by Bunim/Murray, which also does “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.”

It also has been quite lucrative for the Ball family. According to multiple sources close to the situation, the family was paid “millions” of dollars to do the show


Quote:
The Ball family also has brought quite a bit of prosperity to the Lithuanian club that signed LiAngelo and LaMelo, Vytautas. While LiAngelo and LaMelo are making only 500 euros a month — a fact revealed by Alvydas Vaicekauskas, the mayor of Prienai, during an appearance on a Lithuanian talk show — the brand value alone has been invaluable.

Live streams of the team’s games have drawn millions of views on the website Ballislife, a Facebook partner. Proceeds from those live streams, as well as increased ticket sales and Big Baller Brand’s five-figure sponsorship, have helped the club pay off its old debts, get money for new players and pay their current players consistently, according to Lithuanian journalist Donatas Urbonas.

“Big Baller Brand made a donation for the club,” GM Adomas Kubilius said in an email. “The donation helped to solve” the debts to players. Kubilius said the club already has discussed how it will “bring back” the money to the company.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 27508
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I wouldnt be surprised if sometime down the road he tries to pull Lonzo out the NBA to headline some half baked big baller league with guarantees it will be bigger than the NBA.


I think the storm is closer than some think....if the Lakers do not have a roster spot for Gelo.....I expect his shenanigans with the media insinuating if a team signs Gelo, they will have the inside track on acquiring Lonzo as a FA (.....and yes, I know the Lakers will control his rights for years). Then Lonzo will be asked everyday, and he will do his normal robot response that does not confirm or deny....and it just hangs out there being a thing until the Magic sign Gelo, and he starts saying that he cannot wait until his brothers join him in Orlando.....and it is all just annoying.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 9876

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
LaVar Ball pulls sons LiAngelo and LaMelo from Lithuanian team
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ball-brothers-lithuania-20180425-story.html

A headline no one saw coming at all, what are the odds.




Quote:
The 16-year-old LaMelo, meanwhile, has appeared in just eight games, averaging 6.5 points on 26.8 percent shooting and 2.4 minutes in 12.8 minutes, per RealGM’s database


Maybe he should have stopped taking those ridiculous 3’s from way behind the 3 point line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 3063
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
K2 wrote:
LaVar Ball pulls sons LiAngelo and LaMelo from Lithuanian team
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ball-brothers-lithuania-20180425-story.html

A headline no one saw coming at all, what are the odds.




Quote:
The 16-year-old LaMelo, meanwhile, has appeared in just eight games, averaging 6.5 points on 26.8 percent shooting and 2.4 minutes in 12.8 minutes, per RealGM’s database


Maybe he should have stopped taking those ridiculous 3’s from way behind the 3 point line.


Melo is getting 28Mil next year for those type of numbers in Oklahoma
_________________
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/NBAMadeira
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2004
Posts: 12500
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

I feel like LiAngelo's youthful dumbassery over in China really derailed a lot of the plans Lavar had. And he's been kinda flying by the seat of his pants since. And it's been an unmitigated disaster. Those boys should be in school. Gelo made a stupid, stupid decision and his daddy should've let him stand in it instead of pulling him out of UCLA. People have short memories, it would've been old news by now. LaMelo should be in high school, going to proms and experiencing his last moments of innocence. He can't even declare for the draft until 2020. What the hell is he supposed to do for the next two years??? I'm done, rant over.
_________________
Nicolas Caldwell (The Whispers) 1944-2016
Natalie Cole 1950-2016
David Bowie 1947-2016
Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Maurice White 1941-2016
Malik Isaac Taylor aka Phife 1970-2016
Prince 1958-2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 9726

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
I feel like LiAngelo's youthful dumbassery over in China really derailed a lot of the plans Lavar had. And he's been kinda flying by the seat of his pants since. And it's been an unmitigated disaster. Those boys should be in school. Gelo made a stupid, stupid decision and his daddy should've let him stand in it instead of pulling him out of UCLA. People have short memories, it would've been old news by now. LaMelo should be in high school, going to proms and experiencing his last moments of innocence. He can't even declare for the draft until 2020. What the hell is he supposed to do for the next two years??? I'm done, rant over.

I think it was a matter of time before Lavar pulled Gelo out of UCLA regardless of the China incident and suspension. Lavars ego was at an all time high after Lonzo got drafted by the Lakers... I dont think Gelo would have lasted a full season at UCLA before things boiled over between Lavar and UCLA coaching staff.
_________________
anti-tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30978

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, now that Papa Ball is back in the states, he will probably cause more headaches for the Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 27508
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
OddsShark
‏@OddsShark

Will LiAngelo Ball be selected in the 2018 NBA Draft?

Yes +750
No -2000

Odds via @BovadaLV | #BBB #JBA

_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 27508
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
UNDISPUTED
@undisputed

"Chino Hills won the state title without a Ball on the team -- I just want to throw that out there... Lavar has become an international star, but how has that helped his sons? It has come at their expense that's what he doesn't get.” — @ShannonSharpe


https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/991345500833001473
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26818

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
I feel like LiAngelo's youthful dumbassery over in China really derailed a lot of the plans Lavar had. And he's been kinda flying by the seat of his pants since. And it's been an unmitigated disaster. Those boys should be in school. Gelo made a stupid, stupid decision and his daddy should've let him stand in it instead of pulling him out of UCLA. People have short memories, it would've been old news by now. LaMelo should be in high school, going to proms and experiencing his last moments of innocence. He can't even declare for the draft until 2020. What the hell is he supposed to do for the next two years??? I'm done, rant over.

I think it was a matter of time before Lavar pulled Gelo out of UCLA regardless of the China incident and suspension. Lavars ego was at an all time high after Lonzo got drafted by the Lakers... I dont think Gelo would have lasted a full season at UCLA before things boiled over between Lavar and UCLA coaching staff.



Even before the China thing, Lavar said he would only keep Gelo at UCLA for one season. Given that Gelo was unlikely to start, it's hard to imagine Lavar not becoming angry with the school as the season went on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 27508
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bob Ley
‏@BobLeyESPN

How was your trip, LiAngelo & LaMelo?

https://twitter.com/BobLeyESPN/status/991368493126873088

_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 5636

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
UNDISPUTED
@undisputed

"Chino Hills won the state title without a Ball on the team -- I just want to throw that out there... Lavar has become an international star, but how has that helped his sons? It has come at their expense that's what he doesn't get.” — @ShannonSharpe


https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/991345500833001473


Their second best player is a Ball... a cousin but a Ball nonetheless. I’m not saying it was smart to take Melo out of HS but Shannon is incorrect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30978

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Still can't believe the 2 younger Balls threw away a chance at playing basketball at UCLA in front of a national audience for Lithuania and thousands of eyeballs on facebook streams.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 27508
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:
UNDISPUTED
@undisputed

"Chino Hills won the state title without a Ball on the team -- I just want to throw that out there... Lavar has become an international star, but how has that helped his sons? It has come at their expense that's what he doesn't get.” — @ShannonSharpe


https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/991345500833001473


Their second best player is a Ball... a cousin but a Ball nonetheless. I’m not saying it was smart to take Melo out of HS but Shannon is incorrect.


The Pepperdine kid. Did he have any other offers? I mean Pepperdine is a great school, but he signed after they hired Lorenzo Romar as the new coach.....would not think that would be a good thing. A 6'7" SF @ a good high school program, 3 Star Prospect....would think he would get multiple D1 offers. Maybe it is just me, but not sure I would choose to play for Romar if I had a choice.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30978

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

New plans for Lamelo Ball...
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/lavar-lamelo-ball-jba-league-interview-lithuania-plans-basketball-the-face-overseas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 5636

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:
UNDISPUTED
@undisputed

"Chino Hills won the state title without a Ball on the team -- I just want to throw that out there... Lavar has become an international star, but how has that helped his sons? It has come at their expense that's what he doesn't get.” — @ShannonSharpe


https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/991345500833001473


Their second best player is a Ball... a cousin but a Ball nonetheless. I’m not saying it was smart to take Melo out of HS but Shannon is incorrect.


The Pepperdine kid. Did he have any other offers? I mean Pepperdine is a great school, but he signed after they hired Lorenzo Romar as the new coach.....would not think that would be a good thing. A 6'7" SF @ a good high school program, 3 Star Prospect....would think he would get multiple D1 offers. Maybe it is just me, but not sure I would choose to play for Romar if I had a choice.


Not sure but he should’ve gotten more offers if he didn’t. He’s not 6’7 though which is probably a big reason. He’s closer to 6’5 but built like a football player. And Romar has a history of being a good recruiter despite his recent struggles as a coach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 3063
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
OddsShark
‏@OddsShark

Will LiAngelo Ball be selected in the 2018 NBA Draft?

Yes +750
No -2000

Odds via @BovadaLV | #BBB #JBA


Stop it
The draft only has 2 rounds nowadays.
_________________
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/NBAMadeira
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 9876

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject:

This is a pretty good video that talks about the brothers strengths and weaknesses and analyzes their games. And it makes Melo look terrible (because he is).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UBu12zfP0Vs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2002
Posts: 9360
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

I have to say that the whole Ball family just appear to be brow beaten, or more, by their father. He is a loudmouth who gets everything he wants, often at his boys expense. I worry about Lonzo, because he has learned to shut up and not say anything. We need him to be positive energy on this team and to speak up to the other players, but it just seems to me that when he gets challenged he is going to pull back into his shell, so his daddy don't beat him.
_________________
I support Magic and Rob!!

Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain

And Vecsey is the most stupid of them all!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2002
Posts: 9360
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I have to say that the whole Ball family just appear to be brow beaten, or more, by their father. He is a loudmouth who gets everything he wants, often at his boys expense. I worry about Lonzo, because he has learned to shut up and not say anything. We need him to be positive energy on this team and to speak up to the other players, but it just seems to me that when he gets challenged he is going to pull back into his shell, so his daddy don't beat him.

I don't want either of the other Ball brothers on this team.
_________________
I support Magic and Rob!!

Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain

And Vecsey is the most stupid of them all!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB