OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2543, 2544, 2545 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
For my gringo tweeps, that was a Tweet to the folks in Spain telling them there is news out this morning (New England-time) on Pau Gasol possibly getting traded to the Philadelphia #Sixers:

https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/1017051096777396224

What’s there motive in getting Gasol unless there also getting Kawhi?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
For my gringo tweeps, that was a Tweet to the folks in Spain telling them there is news out this morning (New England-time) on Pau Gasol possibly getting traded to the Philadelphia #Sixers:

would have to be in Kawhi deal?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
And what I am hearing is that a trade scenario that would send Gasol to the 76ers is very much in play as one of the various Kawhi Leonard deals being pondered by the San Antonio Spurs.

https://www.getmoresports.com/sheridan-pau-gasol-trade-rumor-philadelphia/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

I don’t understand how the Sixers can get Gasol + KL if they aren’t willing to give up a major asset, I guess the Spurs really do hate the Lakers.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

They would have to send out close to 35 million in salary.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
lewis wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Judah wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
https://youtu.be/AV3O94yv4vc

What if magic plans on using lebron in that Julius Randle role. Lebron as the small ball 5 would change the game. I think you are forced to go small and match up with him.

Lebron
Kuzma
Ingram
KCP
Lonzo

Lebron + Lonzo PnR

Lebron + Kuzma PnR

Lebron running the PnR from the 5

We could force teams to play our way if lebron is ok with it.
Teams with players like embiid would be pissed. You can’t hide embiid anywhere defensively against that lineup. No matter what he’s out of the paint

A lot of his defensive highlights are in the paint

No way they start games with that lineup against teams that start a C with traditional size. They'd practically be begging him to wear himself out and get injured.

Not to begin games, no, but definitely to end most games.

That is CLEARLY the best lineup (with Rondo and Hart able to supplant Ball and Pope), and it is CLEARLY the lineup the front office has eyed as the game changing lineup like the OP has stated.

The idea is completely reasonable, and it really shouldn’t be fought like it’s being fought. I suppose people really do have to see it to believe before they get on board.

I don't think LeBron wants oris the best choice to close games at C. Can he match on the glass or defend in the post guys like with A. Davis, Cousins, Capela, Jokic, Aldrige Towns or even Nurkic? These are likely the other centers that will be in the playoffs in the west.

He is against the Warriors when Green is at C. That would also give him time off on defense.

Not if Cousins replaces Igoudala in that lineup.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

they can get there pretty easy by adding Wilson Chandler....damn, that was probably the whole point...allowing San Antonio to get off Pau's contract with Chandler.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don’t understand how the Sixers can get Gasol + KL if they aren’t willing to give up a major asset, I guess the Spurs really do hate the Lakers.

You must have Gasol classified as a positive value while some other people don't.

Gasol is $16 million and Leonard is $20.1 million.

The roster moves required to

1. Sign LeBron to a 35% max

2. Trade for a Leonard and Gasol package

would have been complex.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

adkindo wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

they can get there pretty easy by adding Wilson Chandler....damn, that was probably the whole point...allowing San Antonio to get off Pau's contract with Chandler.

good point

wow this is interesting
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

Wish we could get Vucevic. But that means they have to take Deng, which is likely a non starter.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
IF this is true, our starting lineup should end up

C-LBJ
Pf-Kuz
Sf- Bi
Sg-hart
Pg- toss up with rondo and Zo(probably Zo)

I think locker room chemistry will matter, and which vets/youths will accept the bench role.

Lonzo vs Rondo IMO will be 100% on Lonzo's shooting. If they both shoot poorly, Rondo starts because a track record of effectiveness even shooting poorly, and because Lonzo as the younger player is the one who is expected to improve his game. So if they both shoot well, it's Lonzo.

In another post, someone said that it "wouldn't kill" Hart to come off the bench for another year. I agree, and I also figure KCP would not take a benching well since he's still relatively young and playing for a bigger contract (than the older vets who are probably going year to year from here on out). So it's probably KCP, although I think Hart is clearly better.

Stephenson is definitely a bench guy. I don't think he'd even gripe. That probably puts Ingram in the starting lineup.

Zubac vs McGee is a tossup, I think. From what I read, McGee has physical limitations on his minutes, so he may accept a bench role without chafing, if that's how it shakes out. I keep shaking my head at just how much Zubac gets pissed on in these boards, but it's fair to wonder how he will hold up when given an opportunity to compete for something tangible like a starting role, which I don't think he has had before.

The more I think about it, all of these vets - and the open competitions - are here to test the mettle of these young players. The Lakers will see who is going to hold their own against grizzled vets at their position, and who has accepted what they get by entitlement.

My guess:

Rondo
(Because, with the knee injury, Lonzo may not have enough time to work on his shot, and his FT shooting is going to be tested so much that it might get in his head.)

KCP
(Because "it won't kill Hart to sub for one more year".)

Ingram
(Because Stephenson is not really an option and because Kuzma is a year behind Brandon, age notwithstanding.)

Lebron
(Because Lebron)

Zubac
(Because I believe he's good enough, and because they'd rather keep McGee in the role he's accustomed to, and because they're going to want to give Zu a real do-or-die look this year.)
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

I'm with it. Let's all get this Kawhi ordeal over with already.

KL goes east and helps the Sixers challenge Boston. Philly will always be the lesser of two evils for me over there.

As for San Antonio hating us... sure they do, but am getting the feeling that they just don't want to give Kawhi what he wants after this "tantrum." Can't reward his bad behavior (to them) and it sets a bad precedent for team front offices... At this point it's probably an ego thing with them, and they were never going to trade Kawhi here unless they came out the clear winner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

I see KCP/Lance as the old skin that will be shed next year as guys like Hart get another full NBA year's experience in.

Don't get caught up with this season being an "ends;" it's a "means" to evaluating our young guys and IMO in 2019 we take down the Warriors and then Celts.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

Philadelphia has $21m in expiring contracts between Chandler and Bayless alone. If you add Justin Anderson to that, you're up to $23.5m in expiring contracts. Then you have Covington making $10.5m next year, Saric making $2.5m next year and Fultz making $8.3m next year. They can easily make the salaries work.

FWIW, although philly re-signed Amir Johnson, they are a little short at the C spot and could use another center regardless. If I were them, I'd trade Bayless/Chandler for Gasol straight up (especially since Gasol's deal isn't fully guaranteed next year). Also, the fact that Gasol's deal isn't fully guaranteed next year means that it is less likely he would be included in a Kawhi deal as opposed to a less desirable contract like Patty Mills.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I see KCP/Lance as the old skin that will be shed next year as guys like Hart get another full NBA year's experience in.

Don't get caught up with this season being an "ends;" it's a "means" to evaluating our young guys and IMO in 2019 we take down the Warriors and then Celts.

If we dump Deng, we'll have close to $12m in cap space next year AFTER signing Kawhi. I could see that money going to a long-term deal for KCP. We would then have the room exception for whoever after that.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
gladofwar_xiii
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Ohh cmon sign with Kawhi!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If we dump Deng, we'll have close to $12m in cap space next year AFTER signing Kawhi. I could see that money going to a long-term deal for KCP. We would then have the room exception for whoever after that.

At that point, we likely chase a wing FA and keep BI.

Wouldn't make a lot of sense to have KCP at that price. Is he going to be a bench player at 12m/year? Maybe if it's half that price...but he may not be happy with that role.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Philadelphia has $21m in expiring contracts between Chandler and Bayless alone. If you add Justin Anderson to that, you're up to $23.5m in expiring contracts. Then you have Covington making $10.5m next year, Saric making $2.5m next year and Fultz making $8.3m next year. They can easily make the salaries work.

FWIW, although philly re-signed Amir Johnson, they are a little short at the C spot and could use another center regardless. If I were them, I'd trade Bayless/Chandler for Gasol straight up (especially since Gasol's deal isn't fully guaranteed next year). Also, the fact that Gasol's deal isn't fully guaranteed next year means that it is less likely he would be included in a Kawhi deal as opposed to a less desirable contract like Patty Mills.

From what I hear out here Philly isn't including Fultz in any trade packages.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, don’t see LeBr, I mean Klutch, not taking care of KCP. That $12 mil is his
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, don’t see LeBr, I mean Klutch, not taking care of KCP. That $12 mil is his

Not long term. It would be a bad allocation. I'd rather spend it on a backup PG or center.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Just get our guys to the dance and let the chips fall where they may this year.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not long term. It would be a bad allocation. I'd rather spend it on a backup PG or center.

If KCP has another great shooting year I don't see why you wouldn't bring him back, the guy had a really nice post all-star season
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree with the 1st paragraph but I think you’re selling this roster short if you don’t think we’re a legit contender this year. We’re better than the team that took GSW to 7 last year and they are clearly getting worn down by the yearly deep playoff runs. We aren’t the favorite but have as legitimate of a chance to take them out as anybody(aside from maybe Boston).

I think this team plans on being a legitimate contender immediately.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At that point, we likely chase a wing FA and keep BI.

Wouldn't make a lot of sense to have KCP at that price. Is he going to be a bench player at 12m/year? Maybe if it's half that price...but he may not be happy with that role.

oh, it makes a ton of sense....maybe not for basketball reasons....but it makes sense....a whole lotta cents for Klutch
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If KCP has another great shooting year I don't see why you wouldn't bring him back, the guy had a really nice post all-star season

If we are chasing Klay, KL, Butler as FAs in 2019, why do we need to pay KCP 12m/year to be a 3rd string guard?

Ball/???
Klay or Butler/Hart

If we get KL, then either he or BI has to play "SG."

Meanwhile holes at backup PG/starting center. Bad allocation of resources.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2543, 2544, 2545 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2544 of 2680
Jump to: