2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Oh no, Puig gonna pull a DLO/Julius on us. Quietly hitting .375 w/4hr and 11rbi this spring.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Oh no, Puig gonna pull a DLO/Julius on us. Quietly hitting .375 w/4hr and 11rbi this spring.

Not that I put a lot of stock in spring stats for an established player, but he's most likely going to have a strong season, yes.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Not that I put a lot of stock in spring stats for an established player, but he's most likely going to have a strong season, yes.

The Reds will likely play him everyday.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Puig (.375 BA / 1.272 OPS) and Kemp (.355 BA / 1.136 OPS) are both having a solid spring at the plate. Even Kyle Farmer (.387 BA / 1.250 OPS) is having a good spring. Now if we could ever get Alex Wood on the mound.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

kind of weird, but many thought Wood may be the opening day starter if he was healthy....and if Senzel gets sent down for a few weeks.....we may have had 5 former Dodgers starting for us on opening day...

Yasiel Puig - RF
Scott Schebler - CF
Matt Kemp - LF
Jose Peraza - SS
Alex Wood - P
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Roberts: Kershaw won't be ready for opener

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw won't be ready for Opening Day after all, manager Dave Roberts said Monday.

Kershaw has been slowed by shoulder inflammation this spring and has yet to pitch in an official Cactus League game. He has been throwing, however, completing a bullpen session without any issues as recently as Sunday.

LINK
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Roberts: Kershaw won't be ready for opener

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw won't be ready for Opening Day after all, manager Dave Roberts said Monday.

Kershaw has been slowed by shoulder inflammation this spring and has yet to pitch in an official Cactus League game. He has been throwing, however, completing a bullpen session without any issues as recently as Sunday.

LINK

Quote:
Roberts said “it is probably unlikely” Kershaw would open the season on the active roster. . . .

However, he added that Buehler is “in the mix” for Opening Day -- he said the same about Rich Hill last week

This news should hardly be shock. On the plus side, the Dodgers have Stripling (who has done well, but let's see how he does tonight), Urias (who has been lights out but who has innings restriction), and Gonsolin (who has yet to give up an earned run this spring) to hold down the fort until the cavalry comes--assuming, that is, that the cavalry can eventually make it to the fort.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

^ How about Buehler?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Interesting that Ken Rosenthal reported that the Padres and Indians have still been in touch about a possible trade for a starting pitcher. He said that the Padres still find the Indians' asking price for Kluber or Bauer to be too high, though the price has apparently come down.

If the Indians are actually open to trading either one, I wonder if the Dodgers have had discussions with them recently.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^ How about Buehler?

Quote:
Buehler will make his spring game debut on Tuesday with an ambitious three innings scheduled.

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back, Corey!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvQS7EsBJVG
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

God I love Seager
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
God I love Seager

A full season of Seager could offset any losses to this team from last year (while praying to the baseball gods that Kersh and Buehler are healthy), and not only will I take a full season of Seager to a half season of Machado, I'll take it over a full season of Machado.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

It's a little disappointing that they couldn't swing something for a deGrom/Syndergaard/Kluber/Bauer type, but the Dodgers look like they have incredible depth, once again. I think if anything, the industry might be too low on their prospects they still have, even as many of their former top prospects are now major league contributors. Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin have looked fantastic, and like they could help the big club this season if necessary. Of course Urias has lost his prospect status but what he gives the Dodgers will be another bonus, likely in the bullpen for half of the year and then hopefully as a starter later in the year.

Muncy has had a terrible spring, along with battling a wrist injury that the team says isn't serious. He also had a terrible second half last season. If he turns back into a pumpkin, I guess Bellinger can go back to first base, and they could start both Joc and Verdugo against righties. Against lefties, one of Kike or Taylor could start in one corner outfield spot, or perhaps both, though then I'm not sure who starts at second base. Brad Miller has looked very impressive this spring, though he's only been a good major leaguer in basically one season (2016, when he slugged 30 homers), and he bats left-handed, meaning he would ideally only play vs. righties. That said, wouldn't it be apropos for him to be the yearly breakout Dodger hitter?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It's a little disappointing that they couldn't swing something for a deGrom/Syndergaard/Kluber/Bauer type, but the Dodgers look like they have incredible depth, once again. I think if anything, the industry might be too low on their prospects they still have, even as many of their former top prospects are now major league contributors. Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin have looked fantastic, and like they could help the big club this season if necessary. Of course Urias has lost his prospect status but what he gives the Dodgers will be another bonus, likely in the bullpen for half of the year and then hopefully as a starter later in the year.

Muncy has had a terrible spring, along with battling a wrist injury that the team says isn't serious. He also had a terrible second half last season. If he turns back into a pumpkin, I guess Bellinger can go back to first base, and they could start both Joc and Verdugo against righties. Against lefties, one of Kike or Taylor could start in one corner outfield spot, or perhaps both, though then I'm not sure who starts at second base. Brad Miller has looked very impressive this spring, though he's only been a good major leaguer in basically one season (2016, when he slugged 30 homers), and he bats left-handed, meaning he would ideally only play vs. righties. That said, wouldn't it be apropos for him to be the yearly breakout Dodger hitter?

Fans, and that typically includes me, always want more. You are certainly one of the reasonable one's here, and you could be spot-on, but the price for the pitchers you mentioned--especially, as you say, considering the depth of the Dodgers' pitching (again I pray to the baseball gods for a healthy Kershaw and Buehler), is most impressive. It is the hitting where I have most of my concerns. Seager and Turner just might not be enough.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

So, I suggested this last year, and I'll suggest it again this year.

Considering all the problems so many of the starters have had, and I don't think I need to rehash all of them, why not go to a six-man rotation? On top of giving each pitcher more rest, as does the Japanese league, Urias, assuming 25 starts at six innings per start, should be good to pitch the entire season, and be where he should.

Kersh, Buehler, Urias, Rhu, Maeda, and Hill, with Stripling and Gonsolin waiting to fill in . . . not too bad.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
So, I suggested this last year, and I'll suggest it again this year.

Considering all the problems so many of the starters have had, and I don't think I need to rehash all of them, why not go to a six-man rotation? On top of giving each pitcher more rest, as does the Japanese league, Urias, assuming 25 starts at six innings per start, should be good to pitch the entire season, and be where he should.

Kersh, Buehler, Urias, Rhu, Maeda, and Hill, with Stripling and Gonsolin waiting to fill in . . . not too bad.

That'd be a really solid idea. We have a lot of pitchers that need to be babied, and that would give them the consistency they wouldn't get if we just did 10-day DL abuses.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Ryu is opening day starter!

https://twitter.com/jorgecastillo/status/1109173185042214912

He deserves it!

Stripling is starting game 2.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Ribeye, there is no chance that they let Urias pitch 150 innings. He will be on a much-stricter innings limit, and I'd be surprised if he pitches more than 100 innings (although perhaps a long postseason run could inch him over that). He only pitched about 30 innings last season in total after coming back from the shoulder surgery. Even a 70-inning jump would be a lot for a young pitcher. They have to be careful with him. He's apparently going to start in the rotation for as long as Hill is out, and I hope they have an eye on the long game with him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Ribeye, there is no chance that they let Urias pitch 150 innings. He will be on a much-stricter innings limit, and I'd be surprised if he pitches more than 100 innings (although perhaps a long postseason run could inch him over that). He only pitched about 30 innings last season in total after coming back from the shoulder surgery. Even a 70-inning jump would be a lot for a young pitcher. They have to be careful with him. He's apparently going to start in the rotation for as long as Hill is out, and I hope they have an eye on the long game with him.

There's no way to keep him at 70 innings and make him a starter. That's like 10-12 starts for the entire year w/o relief appearances. Even at 100ip, he'll get 16-17 starts (6ip per start)

How do you manage that and still keep him sharp?

If he's healthy for the whole year what do you do, have him pitch once every 2 weeks?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Hmmm. I don't know the formula, between age and workload, for how you stretch someone out, but, he's now almost 22 2/3 years old--gettin' real close to 23. By 23 Kershaw had over 700 innings of MLB work. I know that is not a fair comparison, but by 23 I'd think you would be darn near fully developed. He's no longer a kid. This will be his fourth year pitching at the MLB level and his seventh in pro ball--that's how long we've been waiting. I understand being careful, but I'm getting a wee bit impatient: At some point, he's got to pitch or get off the pot. I don't want to see him finally have good year, only to become a free agent the next.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

^
It's about the fact that he had a major shoulder surgery in June of 2017, and was out for over a year, and finally came back late last season and didn't throw many innings. It is a huge no-no for major league teams to drastically increase the innings of a young pitcher from one season to the next. Even 100 innings would be a big jump: he pitched 22 innings last season, which includes minor league appearances, 4 major league innings at the end of the year, and 10.1 postseason innings.

You simply cannot go from 22 innings to 150 given his circumstances. I guess he might make a couple of starts early in the season now, but my thoughts were that he would be kept in the bullpen for the first half of the season to keep his innings down, and then in July perhaps he goes back into the rotation, and in his first 2-3 starts he probably would have to gradually get his pitch count built up. I was thinking about 2 relief appearances per week and about 3-4 innings per week, for the first three months of the season, for roughly 40 innings through June. Then if we had a 6-man rotation thereafter, and where his first couple of starts are abbreviated ones, perhaps he gets 10-12 starts and throws 55-60 innings in those starts. (They will keep him to 5-6 innings and/or 100 pitches, I'm guessing, per start.)

Kershaw never had a major injury when he was young, and never had to re-start his innings clock per year, so to speak. This kid is immensely talented. We can't put too much on his plate.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject:

Buehler on track for Sunday start after sim game

Kershaw also pitches to Minor Leaguers; timetable less clear

Quote:
Kershaw worked two innings, while Buehler threw 60 pitches across four innings.

“It went well,” said manager Dave Roberts, who praised the depth of Kershaw’s slider and the life on Buehler’s fastball. “Today was a great day for the Los Angeles Dodgers. … [For Kershaw] to come out of it physically strong, ball coming out good, repeating delivery, arm strength and stuff, that’s what I was looking for.”

Still no word on Kershaw's fastball

Kershaw and Buehler update
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

What are your expectations this season? WS or bust?

Me, i dont have anymore, well from the 2 WS failures, i expect another dull season

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
What are your expectations this season? WS or bust?

Me, i dont have anymore, well from the 2 WS failures, i expect another dull season

I can't get a read on this team with the mediocre play as of late. It could be either, but I'd lean more to the bust side than the World Series side.

My prediction is 86 wins, my lowest in years, but with so many question marks, it really should be 86 +/- 10.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 46 of 248
Jump to: