THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1770, 1771, 1772 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
US troops believe Turkey deliberately fired artillery at an American commando outpost in Syria

. . . an Army officer with knowledge of the situation said that multiple 155 mm artillery rounds had been fired near the U.S. outpost landing on both sides of the base with a “bracketing effect.”

Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters at the Pentagon Friday that Turkey had the locations of U.S. forces “down to explicit grid coordinate detail.”

With knowledge of the locations of U.S. forces , former U.S. Army Europe commander retired Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, tweeted that the positions of U.S. forces should have been plugged into artillery fire control computers as “no fire areas,” or NFAs.

Hertling tweeted that the either Turkish “artillery soldiers were incompetent, or this was a purposeful act to send a message to U.S. and SDF/Kurds. Turkey fired on a NATO ally."

Is there any military higher ups that are speaking out agains US abandoning the Kurds? I haven't heard any

Active Military higher ups are very constrained in what type of commentary they can make against a sitting commander in chief. But recently retired Gen. Joseph Votel,
Quote:

Gen. Joseph Votel, former head of U.S. Central Command, relied heavily on the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces when he was the military commander who oversaw the dismantling of the Islamic State’s so-called caliphate.

Votel, who recently retired, was clearly disheartened by the Oct. 5 announcement that the White House was pulling U.S. troops out of northeast Syria, making way for an impending Turkish invasion that threatens to slaughter America’s Kurdish allies.

Quote:
I, like others I imagine, am disappointed in this policy decision,” he recently told Military Times. “There was a lot of work undertaken to avoid a decision like this. The SDF have been exceptional partners and we would have not been successful against ISIS in Syria without them.”

In the fight to eradicate ISIS, the Kurdish-led SDF “absorbed nearly 11,000 casualties,” Votel said. “I am concerned what this might mean for future partnerships.”

After sharing is concerns directly with Military Times, Votel also published his concerns on Tuesday in The Atlantic, saying the “abrupt” decision to withdraw was “made without consulting U.S. allies or senior U.S. military leadership and threatens to affect future partnerships at precisely the time we need them most.”

Votel is far from alone in his concerns.

General Disappointment

somebody spoke up in 2009, maybe another general can come forward

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/the-generals-revolt-rolling-stones-2009-story-on-obamas-struggle-with-his-own-military-200776/

As the pressure from the military and the right built, McChrystal went on 60 Minutes to complain that he had only talked to Obama once since his appointment in June. Then, upping the ante, the general flew to London for a speech, where he was asked if de- escalating the war, along the lines reportedly suggested by Vice President Joe Biden, might work. “The short answer is: no,” said McChrystal, dismissing the idea as “shortsighted.” His comment — which bluntly defied the American tradition that a military officer’s job is to carry out policy, not make it — shocked political observers in Washington and reportedly angered the White House.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Kurdish general to U.S.: Either protect us, or 'move aside so we can let in the Russians'

Gen. Mazloum Kobani Abdi, the commander of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, did not mince words when meeting with William Roebuck, the Deputy Special Envoy to the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS on Thursday, CNN reports.

"You have given up on us," Mazloum said, referring to President Trump's decision to pull U.S. troops out of northern Syria, giving Turkey an opening to invade, which they have. "You are leaving are leaving us to be slaughtered."

An internal U.S. government readout obtained by CNN also revealed that Mazloum told Roebuck he has considered gaining the support of another foreign power in place of the U.S. "I've been holding myself for two days from going to the press and saying that America abandoned us and that I would like you to get out of our areas now so that I can invite Russia and regime planes to take over this airspace,"

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Kurdish general to U.S.: Either protect us, or 'move aside so we can let in the Russians'

Gen. Mazloum Kobani Abdi, the commander of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, did not mince words when meeting with William Roebuck, the Deputy Special Envoy to the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS on Thursday, CNN reports.

"You have given up on us," Mazloum said, referring to President Trump's decision to pull U.S. troops out of northern Syria, giving Turkey an opening to invade, which they have. "You are leaving are leaving us to be slaughtered."

An internal U.S. government readout obtained by CNN also revealed that Mazloum told Roebuck he has considered gaining the support of another foreign power in place of the U.S. "I've been holding myself for two days from going to the press and saying that America abandoned us and that I would like you to get out of our areas now so that I can invite Russia and regime planes to take over this airspace,"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/10/10/actually-president-trump-some-kurds-did-fight-world-war-ii/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
They're not even denying it, dude.

And why isn't Tulsi allowed to evolve on LGBT issues when other politicians do so freely? It would be nice to have a consistent standard for this.

And I gave her credit for changing her LGBT views in a previous post.

Tucker Carlson's buddy Greenwald misrepresents the facts in that Intercept piece (see #2 of my last post) to discredit New Knowledge and the Democratic party as a whole (why Fox News loves that story so much). But I can let that go. No biggy. Misrepresenting facts is like breathing to Greenwald (see his comments on the Mueller report).

There are still tons of other articles linking Tulsi to Russia that don't have anything to do with New Knowledge. Including the same newspaper Greenwald referenced in his Intercept piece, the New York Times.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 am; edited 4 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

I'm glad Democrat voters see through the BS from Fox News regulars like Greenwald and Gabbard. I think Gabbard can find more success if she switches parties in the future.
Quote:
A Public Policy Polling (PPP) survey of Hawaii’s 2nd congressional district — currently represented by Tulsi Gabbard — shows little support for her presidential run.

PPP surveyed 990 voters registered for the democratic primary between September 27th and 29th and found only 28% who thought she should continue with her presidential campaign, while 60% want her to drop out (the remaining 12% responded “not sure”).

If she does decide to dropout of the presidential race, the survey suggests she will also have trouble seeking another term in congress: 50% of the respondents said they would generally prefer to vote for someone else — a question purely about Gabbard, with no opponent’s name attached — while 38% said they’d support her for another term (the remaining 12% responded “not sure”).

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

^^^
When 50% of the people say they would rather vote for someone else rather than you even when they haven't been offered and alternative, that's a big indictment of you.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
They're not even denying it, dude.

And why isn't Tulsi allowed to evolve on LGBT issues when other politicians do so freely? It would be nice to have a consistent standard for this.

And I gave her credit for changing her LGBT views in a previous post.

Tucker Carlson's buddy Greenwald misrepresents the facts in that Intercept piece (see #2 of my last post) to discredit New Knowledge and the Democratic party as a whole (why Fox News loves that story so much). But I can let that go. No biggy. Misrepresenting facts is like breathing to Greenwald (see his comments on the Mueller report).

There are still tons of other articles linking Tulsi to Russia that don't have anything to do with New Knowledge. Including the same newspaper Greenwald referenced in his Intercept piece, the New York Times.

I am very dubious of her "evolution". It appears to much more a matter of political convenience than actual growth.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
^^^
When 50% of the people say they would rather vote for someone else rather than you even when they haven't been offered and alternative, that's a big indictment of you.

The stable genius and the GOP don't care about indictment.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
What, Exactly, Is Tulsi Gabbard Up To?

As she injects chaos into the 2020 Democratic primary by accusing her own party of “rigging” the election, an array of alt-right internet stars, white nationalists and Russians have praised her.

WASHINGTON — Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump’s former chief strategist, is impressed with her political talent. Richard B. Spencer, the white nationalist leader, says he could vote for her. Former Representative Ron Paul praises her “libertarian instincts,” while Franklin Graham, the influential evangelist, finds her “refreshing.”

And far-right conspiracy theorists like Mike Cernovich see a certain MAGA sais quoi.

“She’s got a good energy, a good vibe. You feel like this is just a serious person,” Mr. Cernovich said. “She seems very Trumpian.”

Among her fellow Democrats, Representative Tulsi Gabbard has struggled to make headway as a presidential candidate, barely cracking the 2 percent mark in the polls needed to qualify for Tuesday night’s debate. She is now injecting a bit of chaos into her own party’s primary race, threatening to boycott that debate to protest what she sees as a “rigging” of the 2020 election. That’s left some Democrats wondering what, exactly, she is up to in the race, while others worry about supportive signs from online bot activity and the Russian news media.

Perhaps strangest of all is the unusual array of Americans who cannot seem to get enough of her.

Yep. Russian asset.

Good. Goooood!

“Are you or are you not a Communist?”

Let the McCarthyism flow through you.

Nice try . . . but huge miss.

You might want to read up on what McCarthyism was all about.

I guess it must have struck a chord with you since you made another post again acknowledging how her supporters sound like Trump supporters when they raise the McCarthyism flag.

How do you slander someone in the McCarthy era? Call them a communist. How do you slander an anti-war liberal in this era? Call them a Russian asset.

Tulsi has turned out to not be a great candidate, but she has some legitimate complaints about she has been treated by the mainstream media. Just as a reminder:

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/03/nbc-news-to-claim-russia-supports-tulsi-gabbard-relies-on-firm-just-caught-fabricating-russia-data-for-the-democratic-party/

It struck a chord for its utter foolishness.

The comment about Tulsi has nothing to do with communism or calling her a communist. It has to do with the possibility that she is being manipulated by a foreign government. The foreign government just happens to be Russia. That is not even remotely the same.

It also was not a blanket statement in a indiscriminate campaign against a group of people purely to taint political rivals with no basis. It was comment made about a specific individual based on her record. Drawing a parallel between her actions and her comments with others is simply a comparison and doesn't elevate it the ridiculous proportions you assert.

So again, the whole "McCarthyism" rant is a swing for the fences that is a huge wiff.

Let me just recap to make sure I understand. You post a link to an article about Tulsi Gabbard and conclude that she is a Russian asset. I write 16 words, calling you out for it, which you characterize as a “huge miss”, apparently believing that I don’t know what McCarthyism is.

I then elaborate because I guess you didn’t understand when I said in jest, “Let the McCarthyism flow through you, that I was comparing your accusation that she is a Russian asset to McCarthyism accusations of someone being a Russian asset. (It’s either that, or you were being disingenuous.)

You then characterize the explanation I gave as a rant and a huge swing for the fences that resulted in a wiff. Am I understanding how we got to here correctly?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

Let me just recap to make sure I understand. You post a link to an article about Tulsi Gabbard and conclude that she is a Russian asset. I write 16 words, calling you out for it, which you characterize as a “huge miss”, apparently believing that I don’t know what McCarthyism is.

I will explain one more time since previous attempts have apparently failed to land with with you. Saying that Gabbard appears to be someone who is being influenced by a foreign nation is not even remotely engaging in McCarthyism. Whether or not you actually know what McCarthyism is beside the point. Attempting to paint it as such is a huge miss. McCarthyism was a widespread effort to target large number of individuals via threats of blackballing etc.

Quote:
I then elaborate because I guess you didn’t understand when I said in jest, “Let the McCarthyism flow through you, that I was comparing your accusation that she is a Russian asset to McCarthyism accusations of someone being a Russian asset. (It’s either that, or you were being disingenuous.)

"In jest"? That's not what you said above: "calling you out for it".

Apparently someone is being disingenuous.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Why are there so many Republicans in top positions who are
Morally and Ethically vapid
Unprofessional and Traitorous

Devin Nunes
Trey Gowdy
Doug Collins

^^Famous court cases for these creeps?
Schiff successfully investigated a corrupt FBI agent turned Russian spy
Benghazi is all those chumps have achieved

Collins set me off today. Trying to criticize Schiff and the Impeachment

Embarrassing that Civil Servants become like these men. Trump's royal ball scratchers
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I will explain one more time since previous attempts have apparently failed to land with with you. Saying that Gabbard appears to be someone who is being influenced by a foreign nation is not even remotely engaging in McCarthyism. Whether or not you actually know what McCarthyism is beside the point. Attempting to paint it as such is a huge miss. McCarthyism was a widespread effort to target large number of individuals via threats of blackballing etc.

Quote:

"In jest"? That's not what you said above: "calling you out for it".

Apparently someone is being disingenuous.

I was both calling you out for calling her a Russian asset, and using a sentence “in jest” when invoking the emperor from Star Wars when I said, “Let the McCarthyism flow through you.” As I’m sure you know, I wasn’t literally suggesting that McCarthyism was flowing through your body...that was said in jest.

I get it now though. You don’t think asserting that someone is a Russian asset today is in any way similar to asserting that someone is a Communist during the McCarthy era. Ok then.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
You don’t think asserting that someone is a Russian asset today is in any way similar to asserting that someone is a Communist during the McCarthy era. Ok then.

Do you think that asserting that Trump colluded with the Russians is the same as accusing someone of being Communist during the McCarthy era?

Was Mueller engaging in McCarthyism while conducting his investigation into the said collusion?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
You don’t think asserting that someone is a Russian asset today is in any way similar to asserting that someone is a Communist during the McCarthy era. Ok then.

Do you think that asserting that Trump colluded with the Russians is the same as accusing someone of being Communist during the McCarthy era?

Was Mueller engaging in McCarthyism while conducting his investigation into the said collusion?

Not the same and no. But if people start loosely throwing around unfair allegations that this person or that person is a Russian asset with no real evidence in an effort to discredit or smear them, the similarities start to become more alarming.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Not the same and no. But if people start loosely throwing around unfair allegations that this person or that person is a Russian asset with no real evidence in an effort to discredit or smear them , the similarities start to become more alarming.

Oh . . . like when someone claims the Bidens did something illegal when it has been repeatedly demonstrated they didn't? Or linking to websites that are solely intent on misrepresenting videos to smear someone.

Sure, "Russian asset" was an obvious tongue in cheek exaggeration. But equating the questioning of Gabbard's motivations to engaging in McCarthyism was absurd.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

What are the consequences to asserting that someone is a Russian asset?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Not the same and no. But if people start loosely throwing around unfair allegations that this person or that person is a Russian asset with no real evidence in an effort to discredit or smear them , the similarities start to become more alarming.

Oh . . . like when someone claims the Bidens did something illegal when it has been repeatedly demonstrated they didn't? Or linking to websites that are solely intent on misrepresenting videos to smear someone.

Sure, "Russian asset" was an obvious tongue in cheek exaggeration. But equating the questioning of Gabbard's motivations to engaging in McCarthyism was absurd.

Oh, I thought you were serious calling her a Russian asset. Tongue in cheek for the win. You could have just said that and we could have saved all this time going back and forth.

By the way, if you re-read my posts, I never claimed anything Biden or his son did was illegal if that is what you are suggesting. I did say it smells of crony capitalism and that it will be used against him in his candidacy, which contributes to why he isn’t the best of safest choice in the coming election. I posted a link to videos of Biden acting inappropriate for the same reason. Those videos are real...and they are creepy, and again, makes me believe it makes him a riskier candidate. Those videos are a compilation of his real behavior, they are not doctored, the most you can say is that they are compiled over a long career.

The difference between between what I said and what you said is I didn’t call him a pedophile (and in fact I said I don’t believe he is one), and I never said he is doing anything illegal (and I don’t believe they did anything illegal). I could have “tongue in cheek” said, “Yup, he’s a pedophile.”, or “Yup, Biden and Jr. are breaking the law just like Trump.”, just like you said, “Yup, she’s a Russian asset.”, and I would have rightly been called out for that.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject:

Trump "We need to know the identity of the whistleblower"
https://www.axios.com/trump-identify-whistleblower-ukraine-complaint-759b3cdd-1918-490d-b8c4-536776cb86f8.html
Why is nobody as rude to Trump as he is them?

People supporting and propping up this evil heartless human are traitors to
The Whole World

Trump can shoot someone in the middle of 5th avenue and not lose support

He can intentionally MURDER 1000s of Kurdish ALLIES
He can be responsible for 1000s of ISIS Terrorists being set free to return to homicidal mania

Is Donald Trump A Murderous Backstabbing Russian Asset or not?

People need to refer to him as murdering backstabber
Child killer
Traitor
Russian

Why is a US President trying SOOO Hard to force another country to take the blame for Russian hacking?
Could it be because he has more allegiance to Russia than USA?

At least we aren't liberals during WWII

I would support Trump if the someone he shot on 5th Ave was himself
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

A visual by RCP on the aggregate polling for the Democratic nomination.

It's really close between Biden and Warren.

Of course, this is only for those who see value in polls.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

The Iron Shiv

If Schiff takes down two Russians (First an FBI agent and now Trump) he will be a national hero and ^^his nickname above

The Adamic Bomb?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

I'm surprised the swing between Warren and Biden hasn't been more pronounced. Warren has been by far more productive and proactive and it hqs been very effective. Meanwhile Biden has been essentially resting on his laurels and apparently deaf to some of the criticisms he's faced.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Is there any military higher ups that are speaking out agains US abandoning the Kurds? I haven't heard any

Pullback Leaves Green Berets Feeling ‘Ashamed,’ and Kurdish Allies Describing ‘Betrayal’

American commandos were working alongside Kurdish forces at an outpost in eastern Syria last year when they were attacked by columns of Syrian government tanks and hundreds of troops, including Russian mercenaries. In the next hours, the Americans threw the Pentagon’s arsenal at them, including B-52 strategic bombers. The attack was stopped.

That operation, in the middle of the American-led campaign against the Islamic State in Syria, showed the extent to which the United States military was willing to protect the Syrian Kurds, its main ally on the ground.

But now, with the White House revoking protection for these Kurdish fighters, some of the Special Forces officers who battled alongside the Kurds say they feel deep remorse at orders to abandon their allies.

“They trusted us and we broke that trust,” one Army officer who has worked alongside the Kurds in northern Syria said last week in a telephone interview. “It’s a stain on the American conscience.”

“I’m ashamed,” said another officer who had also served in northern Syria. Both officers spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid reprisals from their chains of command.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

There's a tab on the page for just "Texas"- Biden wins every poll lol.
Forget the DNC nomination, those numbers are clues to the general election.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

More RCP: Trump vs. Top Dems

Biden has the bigger lead over Trump than does Warren.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGzDO55XYAAjsLN?format=jpg&name=900x900
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1770, 1771, 1772 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next
Page 1771 of 3674
Jump to: