LAKERS -at- SUNS – 2-25-24 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- SUNS – 2-25-24 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Sorry, LG. I could not watch/cover today’s game. Got stuck on a project and am still in the middle of it. Post your game recaps, analysis here if you have ‘em.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Bad loss, outrebounded badly
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Started the game with no urgency and gave up 45points in the 1st. Game was pretty much over by then.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Jacob Rude Review
Only good news tonight is GSW and Pels also lost. But the Kings beat the Clippers
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2024/2/25/24083179/player-grades-lakers-vs-suns-box-score-stats-anthony-davis-lebron-james-dangelo-russell#comments

Taurean Prince (Triple Threat (No D, N Offense. No Effort)
27 minutes, 8 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 3-10 FG, 2-6 3PT, -13

One of the worst games of the season for Prince, who struggled on both ends of the floor. He did hit back-to-back 3-pointers in the first half that felt big, but that was the end of his positive contributions.

Grade: F

Rui Hachimura (Search for Waldo-Rui)
26 minutes, 13 points, 4 rebounds, 5-9 FG, 2-2 3PT, 1-1 FT, -7

The Rui experience can be perfectly summed up in the last four games.

36 points, 13-19 FG
8 points, 3-8 FG
17 points, 7-11 FG
13 points, 5-9 FG

There just hasn’t been consistency from him night in and night out. There’s flashes and moments or stretches when you see it. But on Sunday — and this is going to be a recurring trend in the role players — he didn’t step up.

Grade: C-

LeBron James
37 minutes, 28 points, 12 assists, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, 12-19 FG, 3-6 3PT, 1-4 FT, -8

Any sort of coasting it felt like he did at times in the first half was completely wiped away in the second half. He was aggressive and stepped up on both ends of the floor in the second half, spending a lot of time on Kevin Durant as well.

Grade: A-

Anthony Davis (**IF** is Da Man, has to show up consistently in Big Games)
42 minutes, 22 points, 14 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 11-17 FG, -2

When LeBron coasted in the first half, he still had nearly a double-double. When Anthony Davis coasted in the first half, he was invisible. He stepped up big in the second half but that first half was about as bad as it comes with AD.

On top of that, Jusuf Nurkic had a hell of a game and took it to AD on both ends of the court all game.

Grade: C+

Austin Reaves (He’s Trying)
35 minutes, 14 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 5-12 FG, 2-7 3PT, 2-2 FT, -10

Another role player who didn’t show up enough on Sunday. Reaves struggled shooting the ball all game long and didn’t offset it with playmaking either. And if he’s going to struggle as much as does defensively matched up against Kevin Durant — through little fault of his own as he’s just not physically big enough to deter him — then he has to step up on the other end.

Grade: C

D’Angelo Russell
37 minutes, 20 points, 3 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 8-14 FG, 4-8 3PT, 0-1 FT, -5

There was a stretch in this game late in the second and early in the third quarters where he hit some enormous shots for the Lakers to pull them back into the game. He was too passive early on in this game but when he got going, he hit some monster shots

You would have liked to see some more of him late in the game, but he was one of the few reliable players on Sunday.

Spencer Dinwiddie
23 minutes, 3 points, 2 assists, 1-5 FG, 1-4 3PT, -5

If Dinwiddie wanted to start being a positive contributor at any point now, that’d be great. He’s up to a sizzling 9-29 (31%) shooting from the field and 4-16 (25%) 3-point shooting since joining the Lakers.

He, obviously, wasn’t responsible for this loss, but how many times did it feel like the ball found him for a potential big 3-pointer and he missed?

I’m quickly running out of patience with Dinwiddie.

Jaxson Hayes
6 minutes, 2 points, 1-2 FG, -8

A really odd decision by Darvin Ham to not play Hayes more minutes, especially with Nurkic dominating the boards. I’m not really sure what to make of that, and I can’t really grade Hayes on much considering he only played six minutes.

Max Christie
5 minutes, 3 points, 1 assist, 1-2 FG, 1-2 3PT, +4

An even odder decision from Ham is playing Christie only five minutes, especially considering how objectively productive he was in those minutes. And with so many other guards not playing well, relegating Christie to one stretch for in the second half was bizarre.

Dylan Windler, Skylar Mays
Just 53 seconds for the pair. No grade, but they did play, technically

Darvin Ham
There’s a lot of questions about Ham coming out of this one from me. Even acknowledging that AD was in foul trouble early, the stretch he went without AD or LeBron on the floor in the first was about the same time the Suns went on their run. Not a coincidence.

And I aired my grievances on not playing either Hayes or Christie more minutes. Two puzzling rotation decisions in one of the biggest games of the season so far.

Ultimately, as always, my biggest complaints are with the players not stepping up, but Ham made some bad choices in this game.

Grade: D
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:24 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Jacob Rude Review
Only good news tonight is GSW and Pels also lost. But the Kings beat the Clippers
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2024/2/25/24083179/player-grades-lakers-vs-suns-box-score-stats-anthony-davis-lebron-james-dangelo-russell#comments

One of the worst games of the season for Prince, who struggled on both ends of the floor. He did hit back-to-back 3-pointers in the first half that felt big, but that was the end of his positive contributions.

36 points, 13-19 FG
8 points, 3-8 FG
17 points, 7-11 FG
13 points, 5-9 FG

There just hasn’t been consistency from him night in and night out. There’s flashes and moments or stretches when you see it. But on Sunday — and this is going to be a recurring trend in the role players — he didn’t step up.

LeBron James
37 minutes, 28 points, 12 assists, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, 12-19 FG, 3-6 3PT, 1-4 FT, -8

Any sort of coasting it felt like he did at times in the first half was completely wiped away in the second half. He was aggressive and stepped up on both ends of the floor in the second half, spending a lot of time on Kevin Durant as well.

When LeBron coasted in the first half, he still had nearly a double-double. When Anthony Davis coasted in the first half, he was invisible. He stepped up big in the second half but that first half was about as bad as it comes with AD.

On top of that, Jusuf Nurkic had a hell of a game and took it to AD on both ends of the court all game.

35 minutes, 14 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 5-12 FG, 2-7 3PT, 2-2 FT, -10

Another role player who didn’t show up enough on Sunday. Reaves struggled shooting the ball all game long and didn’t offset it with playmaking either. And if he’s going to struggle as much as does defensively matched up against Kevin Durant — through little fault of his own as he’s just not physically big enough to deter him — then he has to step up on the other end.

D’Angelo Russell
37 minutes, 20 points, 3 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 8-14 FG, 4-8 3PT, 0-1 FT, -5

There was a stretch in this game late in the second and early in the third quarters where he hit some enormous shots for the Lakers to pull them back into the game. He was too passive early on in this game but when he got going, he hit some monster shots

You would have liked to see some more of him late in the game, but he was one of the few reliable players on Sunday.

Spencer Dinwiddie

If Dinwiddie wanted to start being a positive contributor at any point now, that’d be great. He’s up to a sizzling 9-29 (31%) shooting from the field and 4-16 (25%) 3-point shooting since joining the Lakers.

He, obviously, wasn’t responsible for this loss, but how many times did it feel like the ball found him for a potential big 3-pointer and he missed?

Jaxson Hayes

A really odd decision by Darvin Ham to not play Hayes more minutes, especially with Nurkic dominating the boards. I’m not really sure what to make of that, and I can’t really grade Hayes on much considering he only played six minutes.

Max Christie

An even odder decision from Ham is playing Christie only five minutes, especially considering how objectively productive he was in those minutes. And with so many other guards not playing well, relegating Christie to one stretch for in the second half was bizarre.

Darvin Ham
There’s a lot of questions about Ham coming out of this one from me. Even acknowledging that AD was in foul trouble early, the stretch he went without AD or LeBron on the floor in the first was about the same time the Suns went on their run. Not a coincidence.

And I aired my grievances on not playing either Hayes or Christie more minutes. Two puzzling rotation decisions in one of the biggest games of the season so far.

Ultimately, as always, my biggest complaints are with the players not stepping up, but Ham made some bad choices in this game.

The only way DLO gets a A- is if we pretend that basketball is only played on one end of the floor.

What a miserable team to watch, I am this close to giving up. Like they do at virtually every start of the game.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Jacob Rude Review

36 points, 13-19 FG
8 points, 3-8 FG
17 points, 7-11 FG
13 points, 5-9 FG

LeBron James

D’Angelo Russell

Spencer Dinwiddie

Jaxson Hayes

Max Christie

Darvin Ham

The only way DLO gets a A- is if we pretend that basketball is only played on one end of the floor.

What a miserable team to watch, I am this close to giving up. Like they do at virtually every start of the game.
In relations to the other players, DLo was better than the other non-AD/LBJ.

With Prince on the court, DLo/AR are exposed. If Vanderbilt/Cam/Christie/Vincent were on the court, things would be different on defense.

Add that Rui was invisible (he truly is a "****NOT*** Ready for Prime Time" player), they are not clicking

Fouls caused were a factor, but when you give up 45 points in the first half (no matter what the reason) - refs will call the game one way until one changes the narrative.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Bah, we lost all the momentum we had from the last week. Sucks.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Darvin Ham is a Big Time Supporter of Prince
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2023/12/12/23998949/darvin-ham-taurean-prince-lakers-role-in-season-tournament

With the Lakers needing defense and Prince not scoring, Ham will keep him in the starting lineup.

When Prince is playing bench player and not depended on for offense, this is the best usage of Prince. Starting lineup needs Christie to replace Prince.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: