3-Point Shooting: Lakers still in need of Snipers / Ranked 29th in 3-PT Made and Percetage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
KCP is a better shooter then we saw. Same as Ball.

If SL is any indication, Ball is likely to struggle shooting this season. I would be surprised if he shoots the 3 Pointer at much more than a 30% clip.

Yeah. Just for reference sake, DLO was a 41% 3 point shooter in college and was 35% in his rookie year. Ingram was also a 41% shooter and shot 29% from 3.

I think Lonzo may be around 31-32% from 3 as he adjusts to the speed of the NBA.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

I believe in Ball's 3 point shot. I think it'll take him a while to feel comfortable letting it fly. His percentage might not be great right away but I expect it to climb into respectability by the end of this year or by next year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We may not have a 35% or better 3 point shooter this year. Crazy.

I think we will. Not sure who. But that should be, and I said should, the whole point of Lonzo IMO. He gets people good looks, and they should shoot a higher efficiency as a result.

There's no reason any of the returning guys we have don't shoot a better percentage playing with Zo than with DLo.

I think its wayyyy too early to write off anyone. I don't expect Randle to short his 3s all year, like he did last night. Lopez, KCP, Kuzma and even Clarkson all have a shot at hitting at a 35%+ clip. Ennis' 3 last year was hot too, so who knows with him. Like Randle, Ingram is a wild card, but I do expect him to get close to 35% from 3 too. And then there is Ball, who I can imagine shooting subpar early on, but getting hotter as the season move forward. While I don't think he'll get much playing time, I could see Hart being a decent sniper too.

We just don't know yet.

I agree. Not sure why some are down about it after 1 preseason game. I really expect most of our guys to shoot better than last year because lonzo will get them higher quality looks..i wont be surprised if our guys are shooting more catch/shoot this year than last, which should result in a higher percentage.

where does this thought come from? Even in college, his skills were in transition.....I do not recall his efforts doing much to create open looks in the half court. In SL, it was much the same, which is supported by the shooting %'s not dipping when he did not play. He can do a lot for our transition game from the start, but I do not see him benefiting us in the half court during his rookie year.

Thought comes the idea that Ball will cause ball movement to occur to the open man. Ok, sure, it mau not be Ball making the actual pass at times, but it will still often start with him. I'm hypothesizing, not necessarily suggesting.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We may not have a 35% or better 3 point shooter this year. Crazy.

I think we will. Not sure who. But that should be, and I said should, the whole point of Lonzo IMO. He gets people good looks, and they should shoot a higher efficiency as a result.

There's no reason any of the returning guys we have don't shoot a better percentage playing with Zo than with DLo.

I think its wayyyy too early to write off anyone. I don't expect Randle to short his 3s all year, like he did last night. Lopez, KCP, Kuzma and even Clarkson all have a shot at hitting at a 35%+ clip. Ennis' 3 last year was hot too, so who knows with him. Like Randle, Ingram is a wild card, but I do expect him to get close to 35% from 3 too. And then there is Ball, who I can imagine shooting subpar early on, but getting hotter as the season move forward. While I don't think he'll get much playing time, I could see Hart being a decent sniper too.

We just don't know yet.

I agree. Not sure why some are down about it after 1 preseason game. I really expect most of our guys to shoot better than last year because lonzo will get them higher quality looks..i wont be surprised if our guys are shooting more catch/shoot this year than last, which should result in a higher percentage.

Like the 2 shooting threads have mentioned, we don't have that pure shooter / sniper type player like Young and Lou from last year - guys whose main strengths are to just shoot, shoot, shoot from distance like the Klays and Ray Allens.

There's so much Lonzo can do to give our current guys open looks but if shooting is not their main strengths there will still be a lot of bricks.

Those things help, for sure, but they shouldn't be necessary. Of the 30 teams in the NBA, 19 shot as a group, higher than 35% and GSW wasn't even the best 3pt shooting team as Cleveland made more 3s at a higher clip.

I'm not expecting Lonzo to make our guys snipers. But, if the Lonzo effect is getting everyone involved and elevating their play offensively, then, at least the returning guys SHOULD, in theory, be able to shooter a higher percentage than they did last year. I would be surprised if they became worse shooters with Lonzo here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

In light of the events in LV, this thread title is a bit sad...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Why not show a bit of patience? There may not be any "pure shooting" over 40% types but there are several that can (and will IMO) be in that acceptable 35-40% range as the season develops.

It looked to me like they were rushing shots in that first game. Overzealous "we have to play fast" mentality was prominent. I'll attribute that to the first game . Lets see what they do over the next few. I expect many to improve as the team settles in offensively. KCP is a better shooter then we saw. Same as Ball. Lopez will likely bring some stability too. We may have to accept the overall positives some of the players bring and accept the less then stellar 3pt%.

As to adding shooters. The Lakers had all off-season to sign one. But I remember the main rhetoric around here as "protect the 2 max plan" and the Lakers choosing to only sign one year deals or save cap. This is another natural outcome of that philosophy. We have to accept the compromises.

In this case, accept no pure shooters at this time and hope like hell they calm down and find their groove for the season.

Not sure what the "2 max plan" has to do with anything.

They picked up KCP, who is a 3/D guy. They drafted a prospect in Lonzo.

It's the incumbent Ingram/Jules that are a bit of an unknown at 3.

I just don't think we will have dead eye 3 point shooters, especially after we no longer have Lou/Swaggy/DLO any more.

Wouldn't you say that limiting options in free agency by setting the focus on "saving cap space for 2018" instead of signing long term options had an effect on the possibility of signing shooters?

Don't get me wrong. I think KCP is a fantastic addition. But he dropped into their laps when Detroit failed to work out a deal with him. He was not an initial plan as a RFA that needed a multi-year deal. FO worked some much needed voodoo to sign him.

I am not as concerned as some have stated in this thread. I see a roster with several good 3pt shooters even if not one exceptional one. Lets face it, 40% shooters are rare and typically one dimensional. If they can get multiple players shooting in that 35-39% range over the season they could be streaky but dangerous as a team.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

^ Agree FDB. I posted in another thread that 19 of 30 teams shot 35% or better last year. There's no reason why we couldn't do the same or at least get close to that mark.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
In light of the events in LV, this thread title is a bit sad...

Pretty soon we won't be able to call them shooters or shots anymore but maybe basket makers? Let's not do that, they are two separate things and agree, what happened in LV is shocking.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Wouldn't you say that limiting options in free agency by setting the focus on "saving cap space for 2018" instead of signing long term options had an effect on the possibility of signing shooters?

Who did we pass up on long term deals who were 3/D options?

KCP was an amazing deal for us b/c he fit that criteria AND he fits the 2 max 2018 plan. Not sure what's the consternation about that. Did you want to throw 4 year deals to inferior players? If so, who?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ Agree FDB. I posted in another thread that 19 of 30 teams shot 35% or better last year. There's no reason why we couldn't do the same or at least get close to that mark.

Our issue stems from the fact that Lonzo/Ingram are so young and still working on the NBA 3 point range. Jules, not sure he will really be a credible 3 point threat.

Thankfully we have Brook/KCP, but they're not exactly 40% 3 point shooters. They're hovering close to 35%, barely.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Our issue stems from the fact that Lonzo/Ingram are so young and still working on the NBA 3 point range. Jules, not sure he will really be a credible 3 point threat.

Thankfully we have Brook/KCP, but they're not exactly 40% 3 point shooters. They're hovering close to 35%, barely.

True. I'm not saying we will have a 40% shooter, maybe Kuz, maybe not. The more important thing for me is that we shoot it well as a team. To a sufficient degree that it has to be respected.

But I do think we have a number of guys who can shoot 35%+ for a season. Brook, KCP, Ingram, JC, Ennis, Kuz.

I would expect Brook, KCP, Ingram, and JC all to shoot a better, even if just a little, than last season.

Long debate short, I always want more shooters. But how badly we need them, it's still to early to say IMO. Even if we had Lou Williams, is he the kind of 3pt threat we'd want? He made his off the dribble, and I really prefer the guys who do it of the catch and shoot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I would expect Brook, KCP, Ingram, and JC all to shoot a better, even if just a little, than last season.

Brook is hard to predict. Until last season, he rarely shot 3s.

KCP seems to be a streaky 3 point shooter. I think 33-35% is about his range. Not a knockdown 3 shooter like Lou/Swaggy.

Ingram, not sure he's going to scratch 35% this year. His mechanics improved but is a work in progress. Will take time to get that muscle memory down.

JC, I think he is what he is. Around a 32-33% streaky 3 point shooter.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

KCP was an amazing deal for us b/c he fit that criteria AND he fits the 2 max 2018 plan. Not sure what's the consternation about that. Did you want to throw 4 year deals to inferior players? If so, who?

I'm ready to move on and focus on the players we have and the fast approaching season.

Pretty sure you are aware of every discussion of every potential FA option over the summer. You were a part of them. Prefer not rehashing the same old arguments for and against any of them.

If not, go back and read through the free agency thread to refresh your memory. You can likely skip the vast majority because they will be the off topic James scenarios.

I'm good with this team and the potential. Now it is just a matter if they can meet my high expectations.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KCP is a better shooter then we saw. Same as Ball.

If SL is any indication, Ball is likely to struggle shooting this season. I would be surprised if he shoots the 3 Pointer at much more than a 30% clip.

Yeah. Just for reference sake, DLO was a 41% 3 point shooter in college and was 35% in his rookie year. Ingram was also a 41% shooter and shot 29% from 3.

I think Lonzo may be around 31-32% from 3 as he adjusts to the speed of the NBA.

It's going to depend how many are off the dribble vs. catch and shoot. If he has to shoot a lot of 3s off the dribble, it's not going to be pretty.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I'm ready to move on and focus on the players we have and the fast approaching season.

Pretty sure you are aware of every discussion of every potential FA option over the summer. You were a part of them. Prefer not rehashing the same old arguments for and against any of them.

If not, go back and read through the free agency thread to refresh your memory. You can likely skip the vast majority because they will be the off topic James scenarios.

I'm good with this team and the potential. Now it is just a matter if they can meet my high expectations.

No, my point is we got pretty much the best guy on paper for 3/D (emphasis on latter) and a guy who fits with the current FO's plan. Not sure why you need to rehash this in the context of this discussion? Seems you are directing this solely at me when not only the FO, a large portion of the Lakers fanbase are excited about 2018.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Brook is hard to predict. Until last season, he rarely shot 3s.

KCP seems to be a streaky 3 point shooter. I think 33-35% is about his range. Not a knockdown 3 shooter like Lou/Swaggy.

Ingram, not sure he's going to scratch 35% this year. His mechanics improved but is a work in progress. Will take time to get that muscle memory down.

JC, I think he is what he is. Around a 32-33% streaky 3 point shooter.

I get what you're saying, I'm suggesting that we wait and see. It's not like we're bringing back the same team. Our style, including how we shoot the 3s will, or, I am theorizing that it will, be different this year.

Couple things to consider about last season:

- We took fewer 3s off the catch and shoot than any other team in the NBA. We ranked dead last at 15.6 3PA from catch/shoot position versus 26.2 3PA for the league leader Houston Rockets.

So I predict that because of the Lonzo effect, that our guys will shoot more off the catch/shoot this year. Here's the percentages for guys on our team in the catch/shoot from 3.

Jordan Clarkson: 35.4% (versus 29.4% on the pull up)
Brandon Ingram: 29.9% (versus 27.6% on the pull up)
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope: 36.8% (versus 31.8% on the pull up)
Julius Randle: 29.6% (versus 14.3% on the pull up)

When you're getting the ball in rhythm (Lonzo effect) I would expect the number or share of 3s taken by catch and shoot to go way up, and also the efficiencies in those scenarios.

Not to "sniper" levels, but certainly better than last year.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

No, my point is we got pretty much the best guy on paper for 3/D (emphasis on latter) and a guy who fits with the current FO's plan. Not sure why you need to rehash this in the context of this discussion? Seems you are directing this solely at me when not only the FO, a large portion of the Lakers fanbase are excited about 2018.

I suppose I was directing my comments to you because you had responded to my initial comment ( in response to trade or free agent ideas. Including why didn't they sign a shooter comments) and you were posing questions.

The thread was an exchange. Was not meant to offend or make you feel isolated.

To get on track. I tend to agree that improved ball movement will help improve several shooter's percentages this season. Open stand and shoot as opposed to contested shots. As pointed out a few percentage points improvement by multiple players can put the team's overall percentage into a very workable area.

I continue to be optimistic for the season. Even with that sub-par shooting the other night. It will get better. Or at least I hope so!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Sure, Lonzo is a great ball mover. However, teams will quickly understand that Lonzo isn't going to break down his man and be a threat to score. So they will just stay on our shooters, ergo, less catch/shoot plays.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

I was on RealGM and the Nets fans seem to want Randle. I know they have a surplus of shooters. Randle and Clarkson to Brooklyn for Booker and Joe Harris. Joe Harris averaged 8 points and 39% from three last season. He is burried on the depth chart behind Dlo, Crabbe, Lavert and Carroll. He is the type of pure shooter that we need. Both Harris and Booker are expiring contracts, so we free up room. Deng could be stretched. At least we are able to get rid of Clarkson and get a shooter that could help us now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

One year deal for Redick instead of him going to Philly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And what's the reason we didn't offer a big 1 year deal to him?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Who knows, but we didn’t
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Who knows, but we didn’t

Has nothing to do with 2018 though, b/c we could have made a comparable offer. He wanted to get closer to Brooklyn (where he wants to settle down).
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

This season will be exciting to watch in terms of Laker three point shooting among the guards.

Lonzo in the half court has terrific potential for perimeter accuracy, but we will have to watch to see how he responds to tactics and pressure in half court, especially for closely-guarded scenarios. In college, he proved vulnerable in two ways to close attack by either quick-footed aggressive guards or long-armed defenders. First, as he's not been a great driver of the ball off the dime, he'll probably see early on more instances that he's got less space get his three point shot off than he's used to. Second, as his Laker guard buds are not known for even average three point accuracy overall up to this time, teams will be able to try to play Lonzo tight for the shot in half court sets more often than was the mix in college.

With KCP more of a mid-range, 20' jump-shooting threat than a deep three guy, and Clarkson more of a driving threat than a jump-shooter, teams will try to test Lonzo by crowding him and collapsing the other guards more than they would against better shooting teams. If he can punish opponents with even a good rookie 3P make rate (say, .370) and league average passing efficiencies to JC and KCP in the half court, he'll have done a great thing in year one.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I get what you're saying, I'm suggesting that we wait and see. It's not like we're bringing back the same team. Our style, including how we shoot the 3s will, or, I am theorizing that it will, be different this year.

Couple things to consider about last season:

- We took fewer 3s off the catch and shoot than any other team in the NBA. We ranked dead last at 15.6 3PA from catch/shoot position versus 26.2 3PA for the league leader Houston Rockets.

So I predict that because of the Lonzo effect, that our guys will shoot more off the catch/shoot this year. Here's the percentages for guys on our team in the catch/shoot from 3.

Jordan Clarkson: 35.4% (versus 29.4% on the pull up)
Brandon Ingram: 29.9% (versus 27.6% on the pull up)

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope: 36.8% (versus 31.8% on the pull up)
Julius Randle: 29.6% (versus 14.3% on the pull up)

When you're getting the ball in rhythm (Lonzo effect) I would expect the number or share of 3s taken by catch and shoot to go way up, and also the efficiencies in those scenarios.

Not to "sniper" levels, but certainly better than last year.

In Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

Mike@LG wrote:

Quote:

The ball moves much better with the Vegas or near Vegas lineups out there. Guys like Randle and BI can stall the ball a bit because they're reading the defense after the catch, not before it. The Vegas team basically has Lonzo and the finishers. JC, Randle, and sometimes BI add the Iso elements that the Lakers are trying to get away from.

Perhaps a few will be weaned off of Iso ball tendencies, but I am not sure it is possible to get all three converted to a ball movement system.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: