GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 3/27 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
8750 wrote:
thanks, DB...do you remember how many times in these two seasons we came from a clutch time-out with a bad play?...
I don't think it was a bad play. We didn't need a three, but he was wide open. The point is, is shouldn't come down to that one play. They could have and should have beaten this team, if they'd just played smarter as a team.
That was actually one of the better looks we have gotten all season at the end of the game (which is what 8750's is really getting at...the lack of good plays). That's an easy three. It's better than setting up those crappy fallaway three's from 30 feet with the ball in Kobe's hands, for sure. And I also thought they should have hit an open Cook in a previous game instead of forcing it into the double. Only guy we've gotten to step up beside's Kobe at the end of a game so far is Vlad. Maybe I'm missing a game, but that's all I can think of.

But I do think that getting Kobe in a position to succeed at the end of games has been a pitiful process so far. Best idea I've seen from Phil was Kobe bringing it up in the backcourt when we had a few more seconds so he could attack with speed.
There's a reason why Smush is open, he can't hit a clutch help - which is also why Kobe is always double/triple-team. Maybe if Kobe inbound the ball (since the player that inbounds the ball is often free). Maybe if they threw it into LO/Luke at the top of the key that allows them to bass Kobe on the wing or Smush driving the lane where he misses layups less often than wide-open shots
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
TheBigRuski wrote:
Games like this we could use some emotional fire on the sideline instead of the calm-in-the-storm approach. I have been saying the same thing since day one of Phil coming to L.A....it worked the first couple of seasons because that's what the egos needed. But there is only so much "hands-off" coaching you can do before you better know how to light a fire cracker under some asses.
Phil can take his rings and shove it!
Going to the other extreme is worse. When a coach yells and gets in player's faces over and over, they tune him out. Happens all the time with hot head coaches. Phil is generally more animated and quick to take a timeout in the post season...but he's never the over emotional type. When he talks, they listen. I'd much prefer that then the dime-a-dozen little Napoleon's who yell all game long. What I would have preferred last night (not all season) was a change in gears. He's usually the calm in the storm...last night he needed to be the storm in the calm (the players).
The Zen Master (IMO) picks when to yell at the team. If they need to have Phil in their face while playing the worst team in the NBA without three of their best players - OMG!!! This performance gives Phil plenty of ammo while preparing for the playoffs. Besides, this game will not decide on whether they will be either 6th of 7th (probably 6th). The Lakers' main goal is that they are healthy (Kwame/ankle, Bynum/ankle, Luke/ankle, Vlad/shoulder, Cook/ankle, Evans/knee, LO/shoulder, etc.) and acknowledge that they need to play together to go deep into the playoffs.

In addition, with Kobe having an off-day - it confirms that caliber of the other Lakers.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
^Sam Perkins was a man. Very steady player. Sorry he didn't stay here longer.

So are weed distributors across the greater LA area; they're barely getting over the loss in revenue.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
8750 wrote:
thanks, DB...do you remember how many times in these two seasons we came from a clutch time-out with a bad play?...
I don't think it was a bad play. We didn't need a three, but he was wide open. The point is, is shouldn't come down to that one play. They could have and should have beaten this team, if they'd just played smarter as a team.
That was actually one of the better looks we have gotten all season at the end of the game (which is what 8750's is really getting at...the lack of good plays). That's an easy three. It's better than setting up those crappy fallaway three's from 30 feet with the ball in Kobe's hands, for sure. And I also thought they should have hit an open Cook in a previous game instead of forcing it into the double. Only guy we've gotten to step up beside's Kobe at the end of a game so far is Vlad. Maybe I'm missing a game, but that's all I can think of.

But I do think that getting Kobe in a position to succeed at the end of games has been a pitiful process so far. Best idea I've seen from Phil was Kobe bringing it up in the backcourt when we had a few more seconds so he could attack with speed.
There's a reason why Smush is open, he can't hit a clutch help - which is also why Kobe is always double/triple-team. Maybe if Kobe inbound the ball (since the player that inbounds the ball is often free). Maybe if they threw it into LO/Luke at the top of the key that allows them to bass Kobe on the wing or Smush driving the lane where he misses layups less often than wide-open shots

Smush has hit a couple clutch shots in his career, the biggest was against Phoenix in the playoffs. Cook has hit a couple clutch shots, one this year with a few seconds left. Ideally, you want to figure out a way to get Kobe an open look...but you need alternative options at the same time. Because teams can severely overplay...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
The Zen Master (IMO) picks when to yell at the team. If they need to have Phil in their face while playing the worst team in the NBA without three of their best players - OMG!!!

I guess he saved it for practice. lol. I don't mind the style at all, but I do think we need some in-game fire on the bench on occasion. This was one of them. It doesn't have to come from Phil, either. A guy like BShaw or someone can get in players faces and fire them up. (Avery Johnson as an assistant coach comes to mind.)
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:

A wing defender looks like it'll be the FO's blindspot this time around.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Late at night, when the uncensored thoughts come... I was thinking in terms of a frustrated Kobe. I can just imagine what it must have felt like, to come to within 7 points, in the previous game, of being in sole possession, of an NBA Record. The string of 50+ games, and all the hoopla, that goes with that, must have been a drain on Kobe.

There is also an element of the universal struggle with "control", that we all experience... I mean, we go through life, and, it seems, everyone starts trying to control this, or that facet of our lives. Kobe is no different. I can imagine, that, if only in the darkest corners, of Kobe's unconscious mind, Kobe actually says "...enough, already, I need a break from all this"... Therefore, we began to see a rather unfocused Kobe Bryant. The rhythm, the flow, it just seemed to vanish.

Of course, it doesn't help, when you have a young 19 year old center, just learning the ropes. Plus, you have other teammates, that seem to fall asleep, miscommunicate, or don't seem to really understand what the triangle is all about.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Smush has hit a couple clutch shots in his career, the biggest was against Phoenix in the playoffs. Cook has hit a couple clutch shots, one this year with a few seconds left. Ideally, you want to figure out a way to get Kobe an open look...but you need alternative options at the same time. Because teams can severely overplay...
Smush's shot against the Suns was when he was "stuck" with the ball deep into the clock and had to throw the ball up. btw: How can one be down on a backup PG making $700K+ trying to play with elite. Cookie has hit some shots at the end of the game, nothing close to a game with a lot of pressure. It was interesting that Cookie wasn't in the Memphis game in the final minutes of the 4th quarter - hmm, wonder why?!?!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
The Zen Master (IMO) picks when to yell at the team. If they need to have Phil in their face while playing the worst team in the NBA without three of their best players - OMG!!!
I guess he saved it for practice. lol. I don't mind the style at all, but I do think we need some in-game fire on the bench on occasion. This was one of them. It doesn't have to come from Phil, either. A guy like BShaw or someone can get in players faces and fire them up. (Avery Johnson as an assistant coach comes to mind.)
Don't think that BShaw should do that. It should be somebody who is angry enough to look bad to get into somebody/everybody's face to, at least, give the effort. Don't think that Kobe could do that (he's trying to be the "new me"), LO (he's going through his own struggles), Turiaff (kidding??!?!), Kwame (NO), Smush (OMG), Sasha (ditto), Farmar (hey, maybe), Luke (should be, but not that type of person), etc. . . . .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: