Nick Young
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerbeachvball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick Young

Laker_Gerry wrote:
Would be great to have Farmar and Young as our future point guards. A little USC-UCLA rivalry of our own

Farmar helped Young study for his SAT's so Young could even go to college.
samsl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

Mark Hurlbarf, Esq. wrote:
samsl wrote:
AJLakerFan wrote:
Nick Young is better than a Kareem Rush, bad analogy!

I will concede that, although Kareem was pretty sick at Missouri. I hope to a higher power that if we end up drafting Thaddeus that he is better than Warrick too. haha. I actually wouldn't mind a long look at Brandon Rush - he already looks to be close to Nick in skill set with more athleticism to boot. He's not in the draft though, right?

Mark Hurlbarf, Esq. wrote:
samsl wrote:
"favorable comparisons" for Nick Young/Thaddeus Young: Josh Howard/Antawn Jamison

Personally, I think we should look for more realistic comparisons. I think it would look more like:
Nick Young: Kareem Rush
Thaddeus Young: Hakim Warrick

Nick is obviously much closer to a finished product than Thaddeus but with a lower ceiling on potential (Afflalo is further down that scale as a finished product with limited potential growth).

With Afflalo and Nick, I haven't seen many games where they had a difficult time with fundamental issues of basketball, the way Thaddeus sometimes does. Thaddeus' athleticism is on a different level from the two LA boys though. Both LA guys have enough athleticism to allow their skill sets to shine in college. However, I think both (more for Afflalo than Nick) will be unable to distinguish themselves professionally with their athletic ability.

While we all like the known product, the NBA holds such an emphasis on athleticism, that many times (of course not even close to always though) raw athleticism can find a way to contribute on a roster - ie tyrus thomas or Matrix/J-Ho early in their careers. Usually, if raw athleticism is to be effective, it starts on D and the glass.

With our current roster - Kobe, Mo, Luke and a little LO all at the swings, #24 has the 2 locked down for 40+mpg, Mo and Luke largely share the minutes at 3 (don't forget about Neil Armstrong playing bw 3 and 4).
Mo - is a good defender when healthy, but inconsistent offensively.
Luke - is always a contributer on offense, even when not shooting well, but gets destroyed on D by all athletic 3s.
Vlad - looks like he's high, but he's a dynamic contributor on offense and not completely terrible on D - when his head is in the game.

So do you want Nick, who can come in as a Kareem Rush, with decent offensive abilities and decent rookie defensive abilities out of the gates?

Or do you want Thaddeus, who can come in as a Hakim Warrick and try get everything started with his freakish athleticism (and 7-1 wingspan), with limited offensive abilities (decent spot up shooter with a slow stroke and a decent offensive rebounder) and an athletic defender?

I think I would choose Thaddeus because I think he would complement Kobe better because his athleticism would contribute more on D and his slow but effective jumper would be helped by the wide open looks Kobe would get him from the perimeter. The Matrix and J-Ho are great examples of players with very raw offensive games that developed with court time earned solely on athletic ability.

The caveat, however, is that both Matrix and J-Ho have always played with a great deal of desire and poise, while some already question his intensity.

I thought his cross over looked pretty potent on that Youtube clip.

You're absolutely right that Thaddeus has shown remarkable flashes, as well as disheartening ones - like dribbling off his foot and travelling on occasions in the Big Dance.

All I've seen is the Youtube clip. But I do like his crossover. But what I like most is the energy and athleticism and agree with your post, but I think comparing him to Warrick is short changing him a bit from what I could see.

Agreed. I applied that comparison as a realistic comparison of what we could expect for both Nick and Thaddeus. As AJLakerfan would attest to, I also shortchanged Nick on the Kareem Rush comparison.

I was trying to set the comparisons lower and more realistic than the J-Ho/Antawn comparisons on NBADraft.net.

In addition, as I mentioned to AJ. Think less about what Warrick (and Rush) have done in the league in this comparison. Both were absolute studs in college. Both were big Dickie V favorites.

I also like Thaddeus' potential based on his energy and athleticism (did you guys know that he ran cross-country in HS??). But he's had plenty of lowlights to go with all his highlights. If it weren't for my preference for Thaddeus with our pick, I would tell him to stay in school for at least one maybe two years, bc he has a lot to learn. He muffs the ball in pressure situations from time to time. He plays D with activity and energy but not fundamental abilities yet. His shooting stroke, while accurate, is painfully slow.

I also love the fact that he's left-handed - since no one knows how to guard a left-handed player, ie forcing LO right. hahaha.

If Sun Yue is the Chinese Magic Johnson...I'm the Chinese Brad Pitt...
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject:

It's official-Nick Young

2007 Mock
NBADraft.net/Draftexpress.com Both Oden/Durant/B. Wright/Horford to start

DET 15 Hasheem Thabeet 7-3 265, Uconn, Fr. / Al Thornton 6-7 208, FSU, Sr.
WAS 16 Marco Belinelli 6-6 200, Italy, ‘86 / Jeff Green 6-8 225, Gtown, Jr.
NJN 17 Thad Young 6-8 217, GT, Fr. / Jason Smith 7-0 230, CSU, Jr.
GSW 18 Derrick Byars 6-7 225, Vand, Sr. / Rudy Fernandez 6-6 172, DKV, ‘85
LAL 19 Nick Young 6-6 200, USC, Jr. / Nick Young 6-6 200, USC, Jr.
MIA 20 Acie Law, 6-3 195, Texas A&M, Sr. / Josh McRoberts 6-11 245, Duke, So.
PHI 21 Marc Gasol, 7-0, 270, Spain, ‘85 / Brandon Rush 6-7 211, Kansas, So.
CHA 22 Tiago Splitter 6-11, 240, Tau, ‘85 / Rodney Stucky 6-4 205, EWU, So.

Draftexpress.com does not have Thabeet or T Young in the draft, yet.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Nick is nothing like Kareem Rush. Rush played almost exclusively at the SF at Mizzou and had an average handle for a college SF. But he was not big enought to play SF in the NBA nor had the athleticism to make up for it.

As an NBA SG Kareem had a horrible handle. As tri PG it was worse. The player that most resembles Kareem in this draft is Brandon Rush.Same bad handle.But he is bigger and more athletic than Kareem,so he should be able to play SF in the NBA if he is unable to improve his handle.

Nick has played 2,3, and even a little 4 in college.

Nick will be a combo guard in the NBA, becuase his handle is that good.

Nick will have at least a Derek Anderson type career.

He may not find an NBA billionair to grossly overpay him like DA but he shoud have at least that kind of impact on the floor if not a Josh Howard type of game.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: